Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep Apnea and CPAP masks

My husband has severe sleep apena, he wears the mask & all. Two things that might help you that we had to learn on our own: prop up the head of your bed by at least 5 - 8", that will help with the snoring; and try sealing your mask with a touch of petrolum jelly along the outter ridge, that should not make the mask move without strapping it on so tight.

Both my FIL & BIL stopped wearing the mask because they thought it was uncomfortable, please do NOT stop wearing it without your doctors knowledge, it is very dangerous, it is like stopping your high blood pressure pills because you feel good.....not good!!

Good luck finding a mask. Tim was very fortunate that it fit him and he is please with it. Oh, and I am pleased too....now i can sleep with out being woken up!!
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

I was also going to suggest petroleum jelly to help seal the mask to your skin, too. It certainly would hurt less than synching it so tightly! Even putting something else in there, between your skin and the mask, a cut piece or fleece or felt, depending how big the gap is, might make a more comfortable fit.
    I've Been Frosted

They told me to never use petroleum jelly because it makes the mask slip more, and therefore break the seal easier.

I honestly think the mask I got tonight will work == lets cross our fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    They told me to never use petroleum jelly because it makes the mask slip more, and therefore break the seal easier.

I honestly think the mask I got tonight will work == lets cross our fingers.
    Hmm, silly putty instead? Spackle? Hopefully the new mask will just plain work!
    I've Been Frosted

5. My husband wears a CPAP and it has saved his life. Before I would listen when he stopped breathing and count how long before his next breath. It was horrible and so frightening. He reached the point where he could fall asleep while we were talking (or maybe I was that boring??)

He has tried many different styles - he was working for a company that distributes CPAP - among other things. He prefers the nose pillows and he uses Vicks - in addition to soothing his nostril the menthol makes the air less drying. He also sleeps with a special pillow that holds his neck straight.

Does yours have a water tank? Do you use distilled water?

Hmmm... silly putty just might work.

Sara, I use the humidifyer and the distilled water. I use a #1 on the humidity dial because the higher humitidty dries me out too fast. I put a special gel in my nose a couple times a day to keep my sinuses hydrated. Oh, and hubby has sleep apnea like your husband. I never understood how he could fall asleep mid sentence .

I had such confidence I'd have no problem with the CPAP because of how easily hubby acclimated. The doctor said she has more problems with women than men, but the men are bigger babies when it doesn't work. She also said the ones who struggle in the beginning are the best users in the long run. Yeah, well, I was in the office yesterday and today crying. I'd like to see a big burly man crying in the doctor's office! She said that, yes, she has seen big burly men crying AND they try to make her call their wives and swear they don't need the machine.

On top of this mask debacle, I happen to have yet another sinus infection. Round one of the Z pack didn't knock it out, and now the infection is dancing the tango on my teeth. Ice, Anbesol, and prescription Motrin isn't numbing the pain.

I'm beginning to see why my coworkers joke about how I'm always sick. But in my defense, my sickness is 99% sinus related. Sinus infection. Sinus headache. Sinus pain in my teeth. It just keeps rolling and rolling. One sinus headache after another until they gang up on me in the form of a migraine. A sinus infection follows EVERY single little cold. I have a 5 year old in the house.... do you kow how many colds he "shares" with us????

Mine is a Respironics Comfort Gel nasal mask, size small.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I finally found the right mask! I am sooo overjoyed. I am still getting used to it, but its as close to perfect as I could hope to get.

YAAAY!!! Sweet dreams!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda