Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: My beloved, beautiful Tommy

My beloved, beautiful Tommy

I thought maybe it would be easier to write this now while I am exhausted and the shock of it has me in a feeling of unreality. My Tommy is gone. There was no gradual decline, no signs of warning, no ending of a prolonged illness. Yesterday my big sweet goofball was squeaking his toys, dropping balls in my lap, eagerly eating his dinner, and tonight, he’s gone. Just gone.

This morning at about 12:30 a.m. I awoke to sounds of Tommy with labored breathing and the smell of stool in the room. Tommy was moaning and breathing heavily. I turned the lamp on and stumbled up to find he had been incontinent of stool and could not get up, would not even lift his head. I called the emergency vet number and left a message and then had to just wait. I managed to get him pulled onto a comforter and using that drag him into the living room where I could more easily examine him and sit with him. I took his temperature and found it to be low, a sign of shock. Gradually his breathing got less loud and his moaning stopped and he even staggered to his feet and moved to the dog bed I keep near the sofa.

As soon as the vet got back with me I managed to get him up and lift him, front half and then back, into the Jeep and take him in. There an x-ray was done which showed that his intestines were either dilated or twisted. Blood work was drawn. He was dehydrated so I held him as they gave him IV fluids and then put his blanket into a kennel and helped him settle there. We decided they would watch him and wait on blood work and they would call me with any changes/news.

Later the vet called me and told me Tommy was deteriorating, vomiting more, and the vet felt it was time to do an emergency exploratory surgery if I okayed it. I did so and waited to hear back. I received a call while he was still on the table. The vet told me then he had a mass on his spleen but he was too unstable to remove the spleen. There was no visible sign of spread at that time but we decided to close and revive him and see what the blood work showed as far as tumor markers and get a better idea of prognosis and the next steps to take.

It wasn’t to be. Tommy’s heart stopped before he recovered from the anesthesia. They were unable to revive him.

I went there to hold him one more time. To see him and touch him once more. To say goodbye.

My boy is gone. Just like that, he’s gone. Yesterday he was a happy, playful, cuddly boy. Tonight, he is gone. I will never hear him squeak his toys again. I will never hear his playful woo-woo growling again. I will never see his tail swishing as he looks at me with his doggy grin. I will never feel his head resting on my leg as he relishes being petted and hugged. He’s gone. And a part of me went with him.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Oh Jess, my heart breaks for you. Play hard at the Bridge Tommy, you were so loved.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Unhappy

I don't know what to say. I am so very sorry for your loss of Tommy. You, Tasha, and Raven will be in my thoughts and prayers. (((hugs))) RIP, handsome Tommy.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

So sorry to hear of this. Dogs are too good, sometimes, at masking that anything is wrong until it is too late for us to intervene. I know he had a long, wonderful life with you, and was loved as much as any dog could be. And we know you will hear his woo-wooing in your dreams, and their echos in your heart will always be with you. The next few days will be hard, so know that we are here for you, and thinking of you.
    I've Been Frosted

I'm so sorry

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Oh my goodness. My heart is breaking for you. It is never easy to lose them but this was so sudden. Prayers and thoughts are with you.

My tears are freely flowing now. This just breaks my heart to read what you went through today.
    At least you can take comfort in the fact that he is not in pain. I know you don't want to hear that right now, but eventually you will.

RIP Tommy
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm so very sorry...

I'm so sorry to hear that your beloved Tommy has gone so suddenly to the Rainbow Bridge.
    He had a great life with you, he was a very special boy.
    Sending hugs your way.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP sweet Tommy. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Oh my gosh Jessica I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now.... I am so terribly sorry for your loss of your sweet Tommy boy. My deepest sympathies to you during this difficult time. Big hugs for you, Jessica.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Words cannot express.

Godspeed, dear one, and Peace to your family.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Jess, I'm so so sorry.
    much love to you during this time.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Hi Jess,

I've been absent from Pettalk for over a year now, but I started lurking again a few weeks ago. I came back, because I wanted to post about Oz, but I just can't seem to come up with the words yet, so I lurk. But once I saw your post about Tommy, I felt I had to come out of lurkdom and let you know how sorry I am for your loss and share some thoughts about Tommy. You get attached to other people's dogs here, from the pictures and the stories they share, and Tommy was one that instantly won my heart. Such a sweetheart! And gorgeous to boot! I think he was easily my favorite Golden here. I still have the picture of him with all his logs and it never fails to put a smile on my face. He did his retriever roots proud. I always felt like he and Murph and Oz would be the best of buds, if they ever met. Maybe they're hanging out with each other now. Tommy laying out his row of logs, Murph stopping to pee on each and every one of'em and Oz barking loud enough, to let everyone in heaven know what they're up to. They're never in our lives long enough, but we were blessed for every moment we did share with such wonderful dogs.

You were one special guy, Tommy and you will be greatly missed.

Les...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Big time LES. Jess, I'm so very sorry about sweet Tommy Boy! RIP Tommy and romp freely in the sweet grasses of the RB.

{{hugs}} and
    Last edited by slick; 01-05-2012 at 01:23 AM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.