Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rest in Peace my sweet boy

Rest in Peace my sweet boy

My sweet Rusty passed away Christmas Eve. I had to put him down. He was 13 years old and had cancer. He was on meds and in remission, very thin at 7.5 pounds, but maintaining. He was happy, eating, loving...so loving, much more than usual towards the end. I started calling him my puppy cat because he stuck to me like glue the last few months. I knew the time was coming but I didn't expect him to get up from the floor that evening and suddenly completely lose use of his right hind leg. I panicked when I saw him dragging it. I was besides myself. Some dear friends rushed us to the emergency clinic and we were told that he had fluid accumulated throughout his body...his abdomen, around his lungs, around his kidneys. The vet said the loss of his leg was probably nerve damage from the cancer. I wasn't ready. I didn't see it coming so soon. He'd been so "comfortable" until that point, at least as far as I could tell. But Rusty was ready. I wasn't going to let my baby suffer. I just couldn't do that. So we said goodbye. I held him while he got the injection, held his face and told him how much I love him. He looked at me with that same trusting look he always had for me. His eyes stayed open but I saw the change in them when he left. It was barely discernible, something only a mommy could notice. I'm all cried out. But I don't want to mourn his death. We had too many happy times to let it end badly. Christmas Eve was a good night to go. I believe there are extra angels around that night. I'm sure one swooped him up. Have fun where you are my little Sweetie. We will meet again. I'll be looking for you when I get there!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SadButGrateful; 12-30-2011 at 11:25 PM.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for him and now he's painfree and playing up at Rainbow Bridge. RIP sweet Rusty.

My deepest sympathy to you. I'm so sorry you had to lose him so suddenly. Bless you for letting him go when you both realized it was time.

Rusty is whole and healthy again, pain-free at the Rainbow Bridge as he awaits the day he welcomes you home. Love is eternal, and you and Rusty are together always.

Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I am very sorry for your great loss, SBG. You did everything for your baby. He knew he was loved. I am so greatful that you were with him to the very end. No pet, whether yours or someone else's, should die alone.

Just remember, you have the wonderful memories of you and Rusty that can never be taken away.

Donna and fur crew

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I am so sorry about Rusty. I am in tears reading your story. It's been over two years since I had to say goodbye to my big guy and I still feel the pain like it was yesterday. My heart also aches for you. But you did make the right decision to let him go.

RIP Rusty
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm so sorry for your loss of Rusty. I can tell you loved him very much and it is so hard to say goodbye - but you let him go without suffering any longer, and I know he was thankful for that. Keep the good memories and know that he is with his new friends at the RB now.

Rest in peace, dear Rusty.

((((hugs))))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

RIP Rusty. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet boy. I lost one at Christmas a few years ago, and I agree, it is a special time.

This just breaks my heart. I let my Speckles go on Dec 21 some years ago now and I remember the pain. I so wanted her to last until Christmas but at 18 years old, her body just gave out.

I'm so sorry about your sweet Rusty. Know that we all feel your pain and have had to make that horrible decision. It's the last act of love we can do for our beloved pets. Do you know about the Rainbow Bridge?? It's a place where our pets go and wait for our arrival. I believe it to be true and a special angel lit the way for Rusty.

RIP sweet baby. Romp freely in the sweet grasses of the RB.

BTW, welcome to Pet Talk. I'm sorry that your first post has to be a sad one. Do you have any pictures of Rusty?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I am so sorry for your loss. Rusty's at the Bridge now, playing hard and pain free.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Pictures of my boy

I don't know how to put the pictures with my post. I have a few pictures of Rusty in my profile. Just click on my user name, that should take you there. Thanks everyone for your comments. It helps so much to know people care.

Quote Originally Posted by SadButGrateful View Post
    I don't know how to put the pictures with my post. I have a few pictures of Rusty in my profile. Just click on my user name, that should take you there. Thanks everyone for your comments. It helps so much to know people care.
    You can either attach your pictures by scrolling down and using the manage attachments buttom or you can upload your pictures to a website like photobucket and then copy and paste the link in your post.

I was wondering if Rusty was an orangie and I was right. I looked at his pictures in your profile and he sure was a gorgeous boy. I also lost my RB Sunny to cancer and he was an orangie too. Months later I decided to adopt another orangie but one turned into two. Maybe some time in the future you'll be ready for another cat in your life to love.

My Little "Bear Cat"

Here's a pic of Rusty looking very fat. But he wasn't fat, just very fluffy...that's if you don't count his chubby belly, which I used to love to rub. He had me so-o-o-o-o-o wrapped around his paw... played me like a violin. He thought he should be adored and I totally, absolutely agreed with him! We were on the same page. :-)
    Your cats are so beautiful! So much joy in your home! :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SadButGrateful; 12-30-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Rusty was a beautiful cat, and I am so sorry for your loss, it hurts so much when we loose our precious furbabies, my heart goes out to you,as you grieve for him, and take comfort in knowing we all understand, empathise and care here on PT,i am sure Rusty is playing hard at the Rainbow Bridge with all the other Pt Kitties who are there to welcome him. RIP beautiful one, and may your meowie be at peace in her heart knowing how much she did for you, and gave you so much love which you returned to her, HUGS and we are thinking of you at this very sad time.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Oh, what a fine-looking, loving boy! Rest in peace, beloved Rusty, you are deeply missed and grieved.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery