Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kindle

Kindle

My daughter gave me her kindle she got as a gift a year ago and never used.

I have a few questions, number one I heard there are free books, how do I find them? Also I noticed my daughters credit card info is in there, I want to take it out in case I accidently buy something, does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Is it the basic Kindle (which is what I have)? If so, the books are on the Amazon site. You have to be hooked into WiFi to log on and search the books. You're probably going to have to reconfigure all the settings to make this happen (including the credit card). I can't look right now, but I'll turn mine on when I get home and post instructions.

Enjoy! I love mine!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Thanks, I'm not sure what it is she forgot to bring me the book but it is probably the basic kindle, she got it oct 2010. Thanks!

I have been frosted!

I just got a kindle for Christmas. It's the kindle fire, not the original, but I'm sure they could be close to the same thing.

To get wifi, there should be a little settings button by the battery (it sorta looks like a screw.) If you click that, you should see the option for volume, brightness, wifi, etc. Click wifi, and you'll get the options of different network connections. Just click yours, put in the password for you wireless Internet, and viola! You have wifi. My aunt has also told me about the free books, but I have yet to find them.. Sorry, if I do I will let you know!

As to change credit card information, go onto amazon and log into your account. I'm not sure how to change it unless you buy something, but I'd you purchase something off amazon, you are able to change address, credit card info, etc. Then you have the option to make this the default payment option.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your kindle, it's a lot of fun. I love it!

RIP Sally

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Thanks, I'm not sure what it is she forgot to bring me the book but it is probably the basic kindle, she got it oct 2010. Thanks!
    Get your daughter to give you a tutorial.

You can usually download a manual from the source.

Don't know about kindle, but nook has a help manual on the nook itself.

good luck
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Thanks, it has a manual on it I need to read just being impatient. I am able to connect and browse through books just not sure how to find free ones.

I have been frosted!

If you go to Amazon.com and click on kindle ebooks you will find lots of free books Choose a category (romance, mystery etc) and after clicking on it, choose list from low to high. Have fun and enjoy all the freebies!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Lilith Cherry View Post
    If you go to Amazon.com and click on kindle ebooks you will find lots of free books Choose a category (romance, mystery etc) and after clicking on it, choose list from low to high. Have fun and enjoy all the freebies!
    Okay so stupid question how do I then get it to the kindle?

I have been frosted!

Okay so stupid question how do I then get it to the kindle?
    You have to set up an account first; they can automatically transfer the files (books) onto your Kindle. You can also upload free games, as well as some cheap ones; I got Scrabble for .99 on a sale- having a great time with that one!

OK-to turn on WiFi (KindleFire is not the same as basic; controls are different), you should be at your home base to start this. Slide the bar on the bottom right to the on position, Hit ""Menu" and choose the "turn on WiFi" option. CAUTION - DO NOT LEAVE IT ON INDEFINITELY, IT WILL KILL THE BATTERY. Then, from the menu, choose the "Settings" option and you should be able to make changes. You will need your WiFi passcode; get that before you begin. It is on a sticker on my router; it probably is on yours as well. To download books, after you set up, from the "menu" again, choose shop in Kindle Store option.

I think that covers what you need; if not, let me know.

​GO RAVENS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    You have to set up an account first; they can automatically transfer the files (books) onto your Kindle. You can also upload free games, as well as some cheap ones; I got Scrabble for .99 on a sale- having a great time with that one!

OK-to turn on WiFi (KindleFire is not the same as basic; controls are different), you should be at your home base to start this. Slide the bar on the bottom right to the on position, Hit ""Menu" and choose the "turn on WiFi" option. CAUTION - DO NOT LEAVE IT ON INDEFINITELY, IT WILL KILL THE BATTERY. Then, from the menu, choose the "Settings" option and you should be able to make changes. You will need your WiFi passcode; get that before you begin. It is on a sticker on my router; it probably is on yours as well. To download books, after you set up, from the "menu" again, choose shop in Kindle Store option.

I think that covers what you need; if not, let me know.
    I know how to get online, just not sure how to transfer the books to Kindle.

I have been frosted!

I know how to get online, just not sure how to transfer the books to Kindle.
    You buy them, or "buy" free ones, they figure out how to get them there as long as you're set up with them.

​GO RAVENS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    You buy them, or "buy" free ones, they figure out how to get them there as long as you're set up with them.
    Sounds like I need to set up an account for me with amazon and resynch the kindle.

I have been frosted!

Sounds like I need to set up an account for me with amazon and resynch the kindle.
    Yep! It's not hard to do. I just got a kindle for Christmas and I'm loving it! Once the kindle is logged into your account, you can search for the free books you found online and download them. I just read "The Story of a Soul" by St. Therese, and even though I'm not religious I really enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    Yep! It's not hard to do. I just got a kindle for Christmas and I'm loving it! Once the kindle is logged into your account, you can search for the free books you found online and download them. I just read "The Story of a Soul" by St. Therese, and even though I'm not religious I really enjoyed it!
    Thanks, my daughter is going to walk me through it over the phone this weekend. It was a silly present to give her considering she just started college, she definetely has no time to read non text books.

I have been frosted!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I got a Kindle Touch for Christmas, and I'm loving it too. I'm half way thru my 2nd book already, and today I downloaded about 10 free ones. It's really great having a library at your fingertips!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~