Thread: Treating aggressive cat with drugs

Treating aggressive cat with drugs

Since last summer, my beautiful little black cat has become periodically very aggressive towards me. I've observed and analyzed till my head hurts and haven't been able to figure out any particular trigger. Most of the time she's very lovable and affectionate but sometimes, without warning, she just becomes a tasmanian devil! I have been attacked, scratched, bitten many times and have to check where she is now before I can even walk across the room, just in case.

So I finally took her to the vet yesterday. He said he didn't think there was anything physically wrong with her and that she could just be an aggressive cat. He gave me some Clomicalm -- basically kitty prozac I think -- but he said in his experience we only have a 50/50 chance of success.

I don't like giving her drugs, but It's Christmas, and on top of it all I'm moving next week, so I'm expecting this all to bring out the worst in my little friend and desperately hoping this drug will end her aggressive episodes. But wait, it gets worse! Right after Christmas and my move I have to go away for a month and plan to leave my cat at my son's house. I can't leave him with my problems so that's why I opted for this drug solution.

The vet also recommended Feliway pheremones but he said he thought the drugs would have a more immediate effect, which I really need.

Have you tried either of these remedies? Do you think I made the right choice?

Right now I'm thinking that, assuming it works, I'll keep her on the Clomicalm at least until we get moved. But then I think I'd like to switch to Feliway.

Do you know if there's any issues in going OFF Clomicalm? Will I really screw her up by having her on it for 3 weeks and then taking her off it cold turkey? (I used to take antidepressants myself and I remember very clearly how horrible and confused I felt for a couple of weeks after weaning off them!)

And do you have any idea how long it takes Feliway to start having an effect?

My cat is almost 5 and although she's always been quite extroverted for a cat she has been a loveable little doll up until last summer. She was a year old when I got her and I know she was not well cared for in the home I rescued her from. My younger son, his girlfriend and her cat moved out of our home about a month ago, so that's what's brought on the latest bad behaviour I'm sure. But since this started 6 months before that it's not the only reason for this.

Since the vet said he doesn't think anything will turn an aggresive cat back into a cuddly kitty he's expecting me back in a few weeks to have her put down. No way do I want to do that!!!

Any insight or advice that any of you more experienced cat people can offer will be really appreciated.

Larry

Larry,

I've been in your shoes. Not because of an aggressive issue, but because one of my cats was terrorizing the other.

My vet suggested some Amitryptiline. Casey was just not the same on that stuff. He became withdrawn and cranky and was hiding in the closet. I didn't like the way it changed Casey's personality. So I rehomed Tucker.

There are all natural homeopathic remedies (flour essences) that my friends in rescue use. They work without the horrible side effects.

Good luck.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Mary / Medusa swears by Clomicalm. I'll let her know about this thread, so she can post for you!

I've had 4 of my cats on Clomicalm for inappropriate spraying. I've never had an issue w/it, no side effects of any kind. I just recently discontinued giving it to one of my cats b/c she was taking meds for an ear infection and a bad eye and it was becoming increasingly difficult to catch her. LOL She went off it cold turkey and there were zero side effects. I do know what you mean about having to be weaned off it b/c I was taking one myself for fibromyalgia and I wasn't weaned off it. She side effects were horrible. However, I don't think you need to worry about it w/your cat but, if it will make you feel better, then gradually cut the dosage down until she's off it.

I didn't want to give them drugs either but after so much spraying b/c pee wars were started by just one cat, it was a real necessity. Clomicalm and kitty prozac aren't the same thing but they are both for aggression and inappropriate spraying, also for separation anxiety. One of my cats was a bully but he's been on Clomicalm for years now and he's really mellowed. I give them 5 mg. at bed time and it doesn't drug them at all, just keeps them peaceful. Believe me, Yodie (the one on whom I just discontinued Clomicalm) races around the house as though she were on fire and this is when she is ON Clomicalm. If you feel that your cat is rather drugged from it, try playing w/the dosage a bit. It may take some time until you get it just right. Also, my vet said that it takes 8-12 weeks before it starts to work but it worked immediately for my cats.

I hope this helped a little and if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help in any way that I can.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

My boy cat Diego is on kitty prozac as well. But not what your kitty is on, something with some silly long name that starts with an F. I can never remember it, let alone pronounce it. He's on the highest dose he can have and is doing really, really well. He was attacking his sister kitty. After running the gamut of tests to ensure it was not a health issue I opted for this after the vet suggested maybe he be put down as there are lots of nicer kitties out there that could use a good home. I opted for the drugs cause I love my boy and I'm so glad I did now. I don't know if he will ever be able to get off of them but they've been a godsend for us these past couple of years.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21