Thread: need advice

need advice

I've had my guys for almost 3 years now and for the most part they get along. They have differing personalities (Havoc is a pansy and Toby is very self-confident) but they usually coexist without issues. They're not all buddy-buddy but they don't hate each other either.

My problem is that my beloved little nitwit Havoc doesn't like strange cats coming around his territory and I think there is one somewhere near my house. I carried in some firewood a few weeks ago and both cats sniffed at it for several minutes like they do everything else before Havoc got all crazy-eyed and fuzz-tailed and started growling as soon as Toby came into view. Toby is generally laid back, but let me tell you, he ain't gonna take ANY crap from Havoc. My boyfriend grabbed Havoc because he was the closest and as soon as Havvy started making a fuss, Toby attacked my boyfriend. Havoc went into the big cage (kitty time-out) and I put Toby in his carrier. After about 20 minutes I moved the cages next to each other and eventually let Toby out and Havoc was fine.

That was a few weeks back. Today I ran some errands and when I got back Havoc got all crazy-eyed again, but I put him in the cage before Toby noticed. I guess there was cat smell on the firewood that got on my jacket or something, I don't know. I washed my jacket just in case.

Tonight was a different story though. Both cats had been curled up in my lap for about 2 hours. I had to get up so I gently shoo'ed them to the floor. Havoc jumped down first, then Toby right next to him. That's when I noticed that they weren't just stretching- it was the beginnings of a staredown. I grabbed Havoc because he was closer and proceeded to put him in time-out. Havoc protested loudly which set Toby off. He came at me several times as Havoc was moaning and fussing. Fortunately I was wearing heavy blue jeans and thermal pants because I had to deflect him several times with my leg. I kept yelling at Toby and finally kicked him far enough away for me to get Havoc into the cage. (I didn't kick Toby like I was hurting him, more like he was already on my leg and I flung him across the floor). Toby finally ran into the bedroom as I was trying to calm Havoc down. I looked under the bed to see that Toby's paw was bleeding...great Got him out (he was acting like nothing ever happened) and saw that he lost a claw on one toe- nothing I could do about that.

So here it is about 30 minutes later. Havoc is still in the cage, looking a bit apprehensive, but being quiet as Toby is trying to make friends and playing footsie through the bars.

How can I prevent this? I never know when or why Havoc is going to go berzerko, but Toby isn't going to back down from a fight. Ever. There are other cats in the neighborhood, but I have to bring in firewood. I don't know why this last incident even happened, I hadn't been outside for hours and didn't bring anything in.

I don't want to lock one in a room forever. That doesn't seem fair, and like I said 99% of the time they're fine. I sometimes think that I need to re-home one of them, but it makes me cry and feel like a failure as a cat owner to think about it. I don't know if the issue will ever resolve itself on its own, especially since my neighbor just got married and his wife will be moving her cats into his house eventually, which means they'll both have cat smell on them every time they come over.

Please help

There are calming collars made by Feliway. Put one on each. Also, Feliway concentrated spray. I use it and SWEAR by it!!! Everytime there is a tussle between any of my cats, I spray it in the air. Calms them down instantly.

Instead of a time out, how about just letting them work out their issues, while you are present with a spray bottle. It COULD be that the stray kitty that's near your wood pile has "marked" the wood with his scent and that is what is causing havoc with your two.

Feliway is a God send to me!! Whenever I have a newbie come in, I keep both handy.

If both have tolerated each other up till the stray started coming around, that could be the problem.

Good luck. Please keep us posted. If you need help getting calming collars, let me know. They can be purchased on Amazon for about $10, or at any pet supply store.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Definitely start keeping a spray bottle (or 2 or 3) around and handy. A cat scratch, or worse a bite, can become serious quickly; in 15 years I have twice had to be hospitalized by a bite from my own cat. A cat in a frenzy attacks anything moving nearby, not distinguishing cat from human from HuMom.

In my experience, nothing breaks up a cat squabble faster than a squirt of water.

I agree with Donna, the stray must have marked the firewood so the intruder is constantly present. Wood piles are a safe place for outdoor cats to huddle and warm themselves, so this is highly likely.

Although I have not used the collars, I know several on here who have had success. Give it a try!

And if I remember right, no one was thrilled with the Feliway plug in, they all had more success with the spray version.

There aren't any pet stores around my immediate area, so I'll look into the Feliway online. I have some sort of "calming spray" I bought last summer but I don't know if it does anything. Everyone calms down as soon as one of them is in the cage. I have problems keeping collars on my cats, but I'll try anything once. Havoc always gets his collar stuck in his mouth while grooming and Toby is the Houdini of collar escapes. I don't know if water would work, Toby's pretty hard-headed and stubborn. Havoc never attacks, he just stares and swishes and growls. He starts the argument but Toby always starts the catfight.

just bought a couple of collars on Amazon. Hopefully they'll do the trick

Give them all a time out!

When a fight begins at my house, I clap my hands loudly and start yelling, giving them all a scare and they usually scatter. Juni is usually the #1 guilty party - followed by Chloe......Lucy is often in the fight, but not willingly.

I wonder why they fight......

I have given up trying to figure cats out, Sallyanne!!! Everytime I come up with a "theory", they prove me wrong.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I was hollerin' at Toby to get back while I was carrying Havoc away and he just gave me that "oh, you want some of this?" look and came at me anyway. He's a determined lil' bugger, that's for sure

collars came today. I put them on the cats about 3 hours ago. Toby already got his stuck in his mouth about an hour ago and Havoc just had one of his hissy-fits. I am so tired of all of this drama!