Thread: Clifford

Clifford

Last Wednesday 12/7/2011 our dear little cat Clifford was put to sleep, she (yep a girl named Clifford) was 19 years old.
    We adopted Clifford when she was 10 weeks old. Our sons were 3 and 7 at the time, they didn't care that she was a female cat. They wanted to name her after Clifford the Big Red Dog. So, a girl cat with a boy's name became a treasured member of our family.
    Our boys grew up with her. In many ways she was more like a third child than a pet. We loved her dearly. When our boys grew up and went off to college my wife and I became closer to Clifford. For the last 4 - 5 years her health has declined. First hyperthyroidism, next high blood pressure, renal failure and arthritis. We took care to balance her medications.
    This past year Clifford survived a move across the state when I had to change jobs. She had her ups and downs, but always seemed to bounce back. A little over a week ago she stopped eating and her poor little legs started giving out on her. On Wednesday we knew her journey was ending because she could hardly walk and was crying in pain and confusion.
    Fortunately we have a kind hearted vet. He came out to our house after hours to put Clifford to sleep. She was on her favorite blanket. It was peaceful and painless.
    We know that we did the right thing for Clifford, but our hearts are broken. Since Wednesday my wife and I have took turns crying for our beloved pet. But we know that she had an extraordinary life. She was loved by her family and in turn gave us love. In her later years when her poor little legs would not allow her to run or even jump, she walked gingerly around the house, but still enjoyed getting her ears scratched.
    We will dearly miss Clifford forever. She has been cremated and her urn is on our fireplace. One day when we die, she will be mixed with our own ashes and and spread over Lake Superior.
    With love..... Paul & Christina

Rest in peace, little Clifford! We know you were much loved, and will watch over your family from the Rainbow Bridge.
    I've Been Frosted

Clifford sounds like such a sweet girl...our furbabies never live long enough, but it speaks of your tremendous love and care that she lived much longer than other kitties.

Wishing that happy memories will in time soothe your pain.

Play free at the Bridge, Clifford.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It's not unheard of to give a girl kitty a male name. I had a girl kitty named Oscar when I was younger. My boyfriend at the time got her when she was a kitten, thought she was a boy, and named her Oscar. Oscar became mine when my boyfriend asked me to live with him. Oscar was raised with a dog, so she knew many dog tricks. She could sit, stay, come, roll over, and beg on command. She was a great snuggler, too. Clifford was love and cherished her entire life. Our pets may die, but the love lives on.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I am so sorry for your loss of your beloved Clifford. She had a good, long life full of love with you. She is healthy and whole again, waiting to greet you at the Rainbow Bridge.. One Fine Day.

May God give you all peace and comfort.

Last edited by phesina; 12-14-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Rest in Peace, Clifford and walk freely at the Bridge.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

What a great life you have had Clifford to be such a beloved Cat Companion for nearly two decades.
    Sdaly the lifespan of Our Fur Companions is relativley short which is why I am convinced that Our All Mighty Lord God has made sure that Our Pets will not die, but become Awesome Angels along with those who love them so we can enjoy Pradise together forever.
    We know that Clifford and her Family will be reunited in love furrever.
    One Fine Day
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thank-you

Thank-you for all of the postings regarding the loss of our dear Clifford. Your kind thoughts help in slowly easing the pain which I know will never fully go away. We have our memories and knowledge that we were pretty lucky to have such a lovely soul grace our lives for so long.

Rest easy sweet Clifford

Well, there is no doubt that Clifford was loved and carefully cared for her entire life. She left this earth on her terms and her time. I suspect not many pets get such treatment. Many more live a life of a stray or unwanted creature.

So rest easy sweet Clifford. I hope your trip to Rainbow Bridge was easy and that you are now romping around with other furry friends up there.

You were loved.

Hugs to your purrents and family left behind. They will miss you forever - until you meet again.

Hugs from Sas and her furry campers here in Vermont.

(((((((((((Clifford and her family))))))))))))

Thank you for the 19 years of love and care you gave to your dear Clifford. I know your pain well and extend my deepest sympathies to you and your wife. You did what was best for Clifford. I had a very similar experience with my RB girl 'Petey'. Yes, a girl named Petey, named after the dog of "Little Rascals" fame. She was eighteen and had diabetes and a tumor. Funny our cats were both named after dogs

God Bless

My deepest sympathy for the loss of your beloved Clifford. It is always hard to lose a loved one, pet or human. I hope it will be a comfort to you that Clifford had a good long and happy life with you. She is not suffering now, but romping around at RB with her newfound friends. One day you will reunited.

(((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.