Thread: Pet food options overseas

Pet food options overseas

This is just a bit of a rant. I spend a bit of time on yahoo answers giving people pet advice and sometimes people from the UK or Australia or some other country will ask about which pet food they should buy out of the options available at their local store. I've yet to see much of anything of quality. Sometimes it makes me wonder how they keep pets alive over there. Then on top of that it seems their foods aren't required to list all of the ingredients ours list. They don't seem to have to list vitamin supplements or anything like that. Anybody from the UK here? How do you find a good food?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

It is different with each country, and the owners need to do some research, just as we have to do.

Bichons are prone to allergies, so bichon owners tend to have done lots of research. I can share a bit from other bichon owners (from the bichon forum that I am on):

In UK:
    These 3 brands: Denes, Burnes and James Well Beloved are the most commonly used.

Also, frozen medallions are available from this site:
    http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/wb/page...rozen-food.php

The one above also carries Missing Link (supplement).

This one is used by one person:
    http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/

Not from the forum, here is a link to food ratings in UK:
    http://www.pet-food-choice.co.uk/

I did the search on the bichon forum for this info. The folks in UK have discussion threads among themselves re foods, we in USA and Canada don't join in (we have our own, lol). So I can't tell you specifics on the foods above. Just sharing what they have found works.

We don't have any members in Australia, so I can't help you there. We have 3 folks in New Zealand, and all three use Jimbos chicken and beef medallions, or if they can't find those, they use the medallions by Bombay Pet Foods from Foodtown.

Hope this helps!

BTW, Denes was formed by Buster Lloyd-Jones. He wrote an autobiography, The Animals Came in One by One, which includes how he came to form the company. Great read!