Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meeting Rare Breeds!

Mudis are GORGEOUS. I have a friend who is dying to get her hands on one. She loves her herding dogs. Lol
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

There was a dog show here a little while ago. I don't think they'd be considered rare or anything, but breeds I don't see around where I live. For example, I got to pat a Bernese Mountain dog for the first time a few days ago. Lots of beautiful dogs at the show.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Its funny how breeds get dispersed throughout the country. I know there are places where you don't see many german shorthaired pointers and to me it just blows my mind because they are as common as labradors around here. I think two of the dogs I saw on Pitbulls and Parolees once were gsp crosses and not pitties.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

We have three entlebuchers who shop at my store. So random.

Around Kelowna there is a very large number is rare breeds.. I have met 2 leonbergers, an otterhound, lots of Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs, a Puli, Blood hound, basenji, giant schnauzers, and more I can think of right now lol.
    I have been lucky to have met alot of rare breeds, they are all so unique.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I saw a Great Pyrenees one time, which I had never seen before. My neighbor has a Basenji. I saw a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever one time at Petsmart... one of my favorite breeds and the only one I've seen! Soo beautiful. My other neighbor has this HUGE Mastiff. I don't know what breed he is specifically, but you don't see big mastiffs like that much around here. My other neighbor also has a Vizsla and Weimeraner, I LOVE them! (I know they aren't super rare but the only ones I have seen).
    Truth is, I've only seen like 3 dalmatians in my entire life. I promise, I do get out and see a lot of dogs, but they just seem to be pretty rare around here. It's always a treat to see one, they're so beautiful!!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Bloodhounds actually are pretty common. I will have one someday, I love them.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I don't quite know what constitutes a rare breed, but my uncle has a Eurasier and I've met Czech shepherds, neapolitan mastiffs, manchester terriers, catahoula leopard dogs, and groomed a few havanese. Not including dogs at dog shows.

Niņo & Eliza

In vet school I've met a few breeds for the first time including a PBGV, pharaoh hound and a puli.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

How about made up breeds? The other day somebody had an "irish sheephound" I once had a guy yell at me because I didn't know the breed standard cut for an "alaskan terrier." I wish I could remember the others....I've had quite a few people insist their dog breed is real and I haven't been able to find one thing in any rare breed books or the internet. And I'm not counting "shorkies" and "cavapoos" all those designer breeds we see all the time. I like to say, so you have a shih tzu, yorkie mix? People never like it when I point out that their dog is a mix.

We groom several bernese mountain dogs, I've seen a couple greater swiss mountain dogs, used to groom a leonberger, have groomed an anatolian shepherd, black russian terriers, irish wolfhound, havanese, coton de teleur, nova scotia duck tollers, skye terriers, I didn't really consider them super rare but since a few have mentioned it I've groomed bloodhounds and great pyrenees too. I've actually seen quite a few great pyrenees probably because there's quite a bit of sheep herding I see them often in the mountains with the sheep. I've never groomed one but I've seen a few entlebuchers and a borzoi. We had a belgian groenendael in a few weeks ago that's the first I've seen I have met a couple belgian tervurens. She was a beautiful dog I thought of wolfsoul. I know there's other rare breeds I've seen at dog events but that's all I can think of right now.

People certainly are peculiar! You should tell them, "Well, you know the 'Alaskan Terrier' is a rare breed, why don't you have a picture for reference for new groomers?" ... like every groomer in the world is going to be trained in every possible breed - and know the standards therefore? Not! Or tell him, "Well, the standard varies from region to region, what look do you prefer ..."
    I've Been Frosted