Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meeting Rare Breeds!

Meeting Rare Breeds!

Yesterday, for only the second time ( the first was at a Pet Expo/show) I met a Black Russian Terrier in person. His owners were astounded that I guessed what he was, so I explained about Dog of the Day. "BB" was huge, curly, and still learning his manners, so I wasn't allowed to pet him after the first stroke. He's just 12 months old, so will continue to grow for another 8 months to a year, and his owners said "And learn MANNERS" in his direction.

His Dad was a Russian immigrant, and mom an Asian immigrant, but we had a nice conversation, all because of their big black shaggy dog!

What rare breeds have you met in person?
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Dogs?? - none. Humans?? - numerous - and I don't really care to meet them again, if you see what direction this is going!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Rare breeds of humans? What do you mean?

Here in the Boston area, it is a wide ethnic mix, and there are times when Paul has sworn you'd hear more different language going through our local supermarket than you would in the halls of the UN!

That's why, the first time we were in Findlay, OH, we remarked how different it was for us, that even the ladies cleaning the hotel rooms and people pumping the gas were white people with no foreign accent even ...

I once met a Borzoi in person here, though I had met them before, his very Russian aristocratic owner assured me they were a rare and special breed, owned only by the aristocracy in Russia ... I didn't tell her the ones I had met before were owned by plain old American folks!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Karen - I was referring to a rare breed of human - in their personality - nothing ethnic implied. I was being facetious!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I do not think Shiba Inus are abundantly rare... but the most we don't see down here I met a purebred Shiba Inu at my shelter that nobody came for. She was AWESOME and got a great home.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

That is so cool. I haven't met any rare breeds. Closest I've come is a white shepherd

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Some I don't know whether I should say rare or just uncommon. I've met a Picardy Shepherd, bergamasco, Glen of Imaal Terrier, bedlington terrier, Skye Terrier, American water spaniels, Eurasier, Norwegian Buhund. I used to work in a boarding kennel plus I frequent a dog park that can have over 200 dogs at once so I see tons of dogs on a regular basis. Its fun to meet uncommon breeds.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I have met some rare breeds. So rare that I can't remember the breed!!
    At the dog park I use to take Zoee to there were two Irish Wolfhounds. You don't see those very often, at least around here.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

oh, I met a shelter rescue a few weeks ago. It looked like a lundehund to me. It even had the extra dewclaws. Its probably a hundred times more likely it was just a chihuahua mix, but very close resemblance to a lundehund whatever it was.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Leonbergers are my very favorite rare breeds. I went to a rare breed show back many years ago and they had several Leonbergers there. I actually considered getting one years ago. There was one listed on Craig's List back a few weeks ago. The owners "were moving and couldn't take it with them" . If I didn't already have 2 dogs (or if Leos were small dogs), I'd have been tempted.

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/d...eonberger.html

I've also met several Leonbergers, GORGEOUS but huge dogs. Oohhh, love to put my hands in their coats, lol. I first met them at a Pet Expo. Then, there are 3 I see annually at the Pet Photos w/ Santa.

Saw a lundehund at a Dog Show, but wasn't allowed to touch as it was being prepped for the ring. Short haired dog, not sure what I could mess up, but I know better than to touch a dog at a show unless permitted.

Ellie, I understood your comment well first time through - met a few of those myself!

Leonbergers, Bedlingtons, Komodor, Maremma (similar to a Kuvasz)... I'm sure there are others that are not coming to mind...
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

The only rare breed I can say I met was a Mudi...they're a Hungarian herding dog from what I was told. A group is starting a club for Mudi's in Canada so they might become more popular, this was the first time I ever heard of or saw one. The club might be in effect as this was last year.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I think Leonbergers are becoming more and more common actually.

I think Polish Tatra's are pretty rare. Here is one I met at a spay and neuter clinic that was a puppy. I just thought he was a Great Pyrenees.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Rarest dog I've ever met was a Schipperke, named Skippy... He was a friend of mine's dog...very cute, very sweet.