Thread: Tomato Orange Soup

Tomato Orange Soup

Just made this last night... it is really yummy. The orange juice give it this little kick, and it's even better when it's reheated and eaten the next day or so. I made a triple batch so I could share with friends and family, but the original recipe makes just enough for a family.

Meg's Tomato Orange Soup

4 cups chicken stock
    1 28 oz can peeled whole tomatoes
    1 large onion, diced
    1 carrot thinly sliced
    1 tsp grated lemon rind
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 tsp sugar
    3 Tbsp butter
    2 Tbsp flour
    1/4 cup orange juice

Combine stock, tomatoes with liquid, onion, carrot, lemon peel, bayleaves and sugar in a heavy pot. Bring to a boil over high heat , breaking up tomatoes with a spoon. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until veggies are tender, about 40 minutes.

Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour and stir for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of soup liquid and stir until smooth. Return mixture to the remaining soup in pot. Simmer until soup thickens, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Discard bay leaves.

Working in batches, puree soup in a food processor. Return soup to the pot and if still lumpy, continue to blend with an immersion blender. Sir in orange juice and season with salt and pepper.
    Last edited by jennielynn1970; 12-03-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Hmm, with tomatoes and orange, my first thought was ACID! But you said it tastes yummy, so something in the other ingredients must balance it out.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Now that's definitely different. I was thinking you just added orange juice to regular tomato soup. As you can tell, I like to keep my cooking as simple as possible these days. That's also why I LOVE my crockpot!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

It's not acidic to me, but it's just 1/4 cup of orange juice. I did add more carrots to my stock, and more onions, but that's just my preference. I love veggies. I also made a triple batch to share with friends and family. The OJ just adds enough of a kick to give it a flavor boost in my opinion when I tasted it. The salt is definitely needed (I tried it without it, as I normally try to take out salt whenever possible. The pepper helped as well.).

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    As you can tell, I like to keep my cooking as simple as possible these days.
    I was thinking while I was making it, it could be easier to make. Next time, I'm using crushed tomatoes, not whole. The whole just take too much time to break down, and all that food processing is a PITA. Also, I got carrot chips, but next time will probably just get the tiny carrot sticks for salads. They will break down easier as well. The onion was no problem, neither were getting the bay leaves out. It's really an easy soup. Just putting a little thought into making it easier here, lol!