I've been away for a week(eye surgery). My dogsitter called last night concerned about Kayleigh. She wasn't eating and was very lethargic. He took her to our vet just before midnight. Kayleigh became essentially non-responsive on the way to the clinic. She perked up overnight and was doing quite well, much better than expected. Just after 7am, she tried to stand, had a seizure and was gone.

She had just turned 13. Kayleigh was the toughest dog I've ever known. Tough in every way, except to love. Despite all her issues, she had a quirky personality, a spark of mischief in her eye, and a goofy sense of humour. I wish she had waited for me to get home so I could say goodbye, but Kayleigh had a independant streak a mile wide. Maybe she wanted it this way. I am forever grateful to Buddy, the dogsitter. He saved her from a cold & lonely death. She was at least warm, medicated, comfortable and with her vet, who she always liked. Cause of death was acute kidney failure. Both Candace and I suspect Kayleigh had sub-clinical or atypical Addison's disease and this was related to that.

The silence from behind the shop is deafening tonight. Godspeed big girl.