Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Fans???

Baseball Fans???

I know the season is over but I just wondered if any of you are into baseball. I love the sport and have been a fan of the St. Louis Cardinals for over 40 years. They won their 11th World Series this year so I am really happy over this. Just wondered if you like baseball and if so, who is your favorite team

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Red Sox! Lifelong fan.
    I've Been Frosted

A fan of baseball since I first became aware of the sport - about 65 years ago

Love the Tigers, and the Red Sox. Cheers to Justin Verlander, AL Cy Young Award winner and AL MVP

I remember the 1968 World Series between the Tigers and the Cardinals. Our Mickey Lolich was MVP of that Series - beating out both starting pitchers, Bob Gibson and Denny McClain.

Adding to my baseball history - one Saturday back in July 1973, I took my son and his friend up to Tiger Stadium to see the Tigers and Angels. I still have my scorecard and ticket stub from that game. Nolan Ryan pitched the 2nd No-hitter of his career that day, striking out 16 along the way. He went on to pitch 5 more before retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Red Sox! Lifelong fan.
    Since Tony La Russa has retired from being manager of the Cardinals, the owners were interviewing others for his job. Terry Francona was one they interviewed and it was Francona I was hoping they would hire but they didn't. I always liked him but now I heard he was staying away from managing next year and broadcasting the games instead. Every time the Sox were playing the Yankees, I rooted for the Sox. Believe it or not, I still miss Manny.

I live in NJ and should be a Yankee or Met fan but I don't like either team. I have been to St. Louis to see my team only twice, needed to fly there. It's tough having your team so far away and can't get to the games but I am on the MLB forum and I talk to all fellow Cardinal fans daily which helps a lot.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Gotta revive this thread, since I don't see an MLB one for this year yet... last year was such an amazing season for the Cards, and winning the world series... the whole playoffs for them was A-MA-ZING. Talk about baseball!

Not sad to see Pujols go. He can take his ego elsewhere Granted, I did meet him at my previous job when I worked at a specialty practice, we did surgery on one of his GDS pups Honey. He was a really cool person; his wife, on the other hand... total female dog!!! So I have a feeling his "decision" was mainly his wife's doing and not so much his own... But he isn't doing so hot this year, so jokes on them I guess!

I think Matheny is doing an excellent job this year.... but, he does have an incredible team of players working for him so it isn't like he has to do much

I don't expect we'll go to the WS again this year, but gotta be proud of the fact that we are the #2 team in most WS won (behind the Yankees of course with 27!!) and also tied for #2 of most WS appearances (18!). LOVE the Cards!!!!!

facebook

Cool sidenote:

We're a houseful of Red Sox fans.

However, MJ got the autograph from a member of the 1950's NY Yankees.

He's the father of her math teacher, and he came to talk to the class, which was nice.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

The Pittsburgh Pirates all the way! Raise the Jolly Roger!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Cool sidenote:

We're a houseful of Red Sox fans.

However, MJ got the autograph from a member of the 1950's NY Yankees.

He's the father of her math teacher, and he came to talk to the class, which was nice.

That's really cool! The Yankees beat the Phillies in the World Series in1950 - their 13th Series.

It is kinda harder than usual being a Red Sox fan this year. Just saying ...
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It is kinda harder than usual being a Red Sox fan this year. Just saying ...
    Oh, I do agree with you. Adding in the Tigers, it appears I'm totally screwed for the post-season

We have MLB Extra Innings, so I can watch all the Sox games - think my $$$ was wasted this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Oh, I do agree with you. Adding in the Tigers, it appears I'm totally screwed for the post-season

We have MLB Extra Innings, so I can watch all the Sox games - think my $$$ was wasted this year.
    You mean you didn't pay money to essentially watch the Paw-sox play?

Injuries, ruin a damned good reliever/setup pitcher and closer, and somehow Dice-K and Crawford still on the team, and Valentine hasn't been fired.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    and Valentine hasn't been fired.
    And there seems to be no talk of it, either! Dagnabbit, sure he's "likable" - but the team hasn't been above .500 for more than a couple days at a time!

Grumble, grumble, mutter, mutter ....
    I've Been Frosted

Dice-K . . . . . I thought he wasn't coming back to the Sox. Did no one else want him?

Chicago Cubs fan watching them have a very heartbreaking season under Theo Epstein and Dale Sveum. I wasn't expecting a World Series this first year. I expected that they would win more games than they lose, though.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678