Thread: Free babie rats in upstate ny

Free babie rats in upstate ny

As you have probably seen in my post "10 babies" I have 10 babies. They are 1 1/2 weeks old. Not too much longer until they can find new homes. The mother is very sweet & healthy but is a pet store rat, so no known history on her is available. I am keeping 2 females & have homes for 4-5 other females. But the rest are available. I am giving them away but am in search for homes early so I can do my best to make sure they are going to a good home. If anyone is interested please let me know. I am located just outside of rochester ny but am willing to help w/ transportation. They will be available in a few more weeks!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

O How I would love to have more ratties but I already have 4 although I would love to make it 30 or 40 . But sadly I live with my parents and they won't let me have lots and lots of pets. I would like to have 5 rats, seems like the "normal" amount. . I bet your babies are cute! What do they look like? Have any pictures? I bet they are sooooo adorable. How old are they now?

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

The babies are growing fast. They will be 2 weeks on sat am. I think I have 3 girls & 7 boys. If that is true I will keep all 3 girls. If I have more girls than I think than I will keep at least 2 and one of my friends wants at least 2 girls. Maybe I will get an additional cage & keep some males. I am pretty sure they are all dumbos. Some are lilac, lilac hooded, BEW & some are albino. Their eyes are still closed & this is my first litter so I am not 100% on the eye color or sex. I am taking pics but do not have a scanner or dig. camera so I have to wait until my roll of film is done & then wait for it to be developed. I will see if I can have it put on a disk so I can show everyone.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Just curious if you have studied genetics yet? What made you decide to breed? Also all Pink Eyed Whites are not albino. The red eye dilute gene can also cause a normal colored rat to lose all pigment.

Are the parents pedigreed? Where did you get them. It is very unlikely to get Lilacs with BEWs. There is also no way of telling what the colors are unless they are pedigreed and you know what genetics are involved in their background. Also if you have both BEW (Black Eyed Whites) and albinos they are most likely not albinos and the lack of coloration is due to the white spotting or husky gene (lethal when bred together) . Have you done research on the husky gene?

Sorry I sound rude but it means a lot to me that people who are chosing to breed at least have a basic understanding of genetics and chose to breed pedigreed rats, so that undesirable traits cannot be passed down and into other existing colonies.

Eye colors can be seen at birth. You can pick up the babies and see whether you have dark or pink/red eyes. Of course where the socket is you will see color pigment that is dark if they are black eyes and lighter if they are pink/red eyed.

It is highly reccomended that homes be lined up BEFORE you breed, so as to make sure all rats go to a good home and not as feeders.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Please go to these links so you can see the type of questions I ask before I sell any of my babies:

adoption

feeding

pedigree for HTRs Bandit

Last edited by luckies4me; 11-14-2002 at 10:44 AM.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Thank you L4M. I have been studying the breeding ethics in rats for the past few months & am still learning. I am not sure if you have seen my other posts here in the past few months but I have owned rats for 15 years. I was just strating to learn about genetics in breeding rats. I met a wonderful breeder in my area got a couple rats from her & then I had someone break into my home. They killed 3 out of my 4 rats (that was devastating) & totally trashed my house. I went to the pet store a few days later to get Togette (my surviving rat) company. Well one of the rats I got from a local pet store (whom has had great rats in the past) was pregnant. I did not know it at the time. I was planning on breeding great rats in the spring once I have finished learning more. But here I am now 10 babies.

I am a lisc. vet tech (for 10 years now), volunteer at 2 local shelters, teach dog obedience & behavorial problems as well as assist in agility training. I have always owned pets of different kinds & lots of em'. And have always & still am learning everything I can on animals. All of my dogs were rescued & some other kritters too and all but my rats are neutered/spayed. & I know quite a bit about animals. I did not intend for this to happen but I could not just kill the babies!

I am sorry if it sounded like I knew for sure the colors and such but I did mention that no known history is known of her & that she came from a pet store. That is why they are FREE. But the color sure looks like a lilac and the other color sure looks like white. Some of all colors have dark eye sockets, some are light pink colored. To explain what color they are if anyone was interested I had to say what color they look like.

Believe me you I am surely asking tons of ?'s to make sure they got to good homes. I am also willing to drop them off in person so I can see where they are going. To save time I am only asking ?'s once they respond an interest to me.

I too am sorry if I seem rude but I totally understand as I also hate irresponsible breeders of any animals. I have lived in Eugene twice. I just moved back here this past spring. I sure do miss the west coast!!!!!

OMG! I cannot believe someone would do that to poor little ratties!

If you ever have any question about genetics etc. you can always ask me and I can help. I breed all types of rats:

Tailess
    dumbo
    odd eyed
    Japanese (sort of like dumbos)
    soon to be DownUnders (yippee, being imported from Australia)
    rex
    double rex
    hairless
    velveteen and double velveteen

I hope you can find all the kitten good homes and keep us posted. Please post pics too, I love ritten pics!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

L4M, sounds like you have beautiful ratties! Yoiu have a wide variety of rare breeds! I have always wanted a tailess and a double velveteen! What is a down under? Do you have a pic of one?

So ok here is what the babies are (all dumbo's):

3 Females:
    - albino
    - lilac self w/ ruby eyes
    - lilac hooded w/ red eyes

7 males:
    - 3 albino's
    - almost lilac self (very tiny white diamond in middle of forehead) w/ ruby eyes
    -3 lilac hooded; one has only small hood w/ large amount of white in the middle w/ all white body w/ red eyes, one w/ small amount of lilac spots on his body w/ red eyes & the other w/ a bunch of lilac spots w/ ruby eyes.

Thier eyes opened this past weekend. They are now 2 weeks & 2 days old. I am surely keeping the 3 females and I might keep 3 of the males.