View Poll Results: Do your pets eat more in winter?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all of them eat more

4 28.57%
  • Yes, some of them eat more

2 14.29%
  • No, none of them eat more

2 14.29%
  • Uh, I haven't really noticed.

6 42.86%

Thread: Do your pets eat more in the winter?

Do your pets eat more in the winter?

I've noticed this the last two years. Maybe it's because I have so many now, but I feel like I have bears that look like kittehs. Spunky especially eats more with his high metabolism.

I'd love to hear your views.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 10-04-2011 at 09:32 PM.

I picked "I haven't really noticed". I just started paying attention to what and when Cassie is eating lately, and you know what, she is eating more!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

My dogs are fed the a certain amount everyday. I wouldn't feed them more in the winter simply because they tend to gain weight from inactivity and lose weight in the summer. Just like me! I tend to up their food in the beginning of summer and lower it slightly if they gain weight in the winter.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Oh my gosh do they ever - well, want to eat more, I don't necessarily feed them more. Keva is ridiculous she follows me around the house howling until I feed her and they all (except Skya - she doesn't eat like she's starved she just actually eats) eat like they are starved. I usually feed them just a bit more otherwise they drive me nuts with wanting food. But they (well, just the huskies, Killer NEVER turns down food and always gobbles it up as fast as he can) don't eat too well in the summer they just aren't as interested in food when its hot. Skya and Nebo especially are hard to get to eat Keva rarely turns down food. So I will feed Skya as much as she'll eat in the winter she needs some fat on her ribs she's always on the thin side. Keva and Killer would be fatties all winter if I let them but I don't if they start to look chubby I feed them the amount of food they get the rest of the year.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Myndi and Sparky both eat more in the cooler weather. Actually, they eat what they should be eating, since their appetites decrease in the heat of the summer, and food doesn't interest them all that much. I just keep an eye on their weight to make sure that they don't start eating too much.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Dear Auntie Mrspunkysmom,

Guess what, the weather has gotten cooler and I am eating more Meowmie brought home Meow Mix Market Select, the one with the crab and tuna. I snarfed it down so fast! She went back to the store and bought a few more of those little cups while they are on sale. I like the one with the crab and tuna best. Yesterday I ate a whole one of those AND a whole 5 1/2 ounce can of Friskies Paté. I keep meowmie on her toes, though, cos sometimes I eat a lot and sometimes I don't. It's my house so I can do that.

Could you purr-lease give all your kitties some petting, lovies and snuggles for us?

Purrs and head bumpies,
    Cassie
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

My Shelties eat the same amount in the winter but I feed about 50% more to Keeva in the winter because she has incredibly high metabolism. I keep her on the lean side most of the year because we compete in agility and any excess weight is hard on her joints, but in the winter when we're not competing, I'll let her gain a few pounds because of the temperature.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Roxy always ate more in the winter, but I don't think Lily does. I think she just eats the same as usual.

I don't really notice anything about the cats since they're free fed, and I can't make any determinations on Duke, but he never turns down food as of now, so
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Dear Cassie,

I snarf down the food, too. So does Emily. Both of us clean the other's bowls. I like Winter because I can get more food. We get Blue or Eagle holistic Salmon. Sometimes she (keeper of the food) bakes fish for us. Can you purr those thoughts into her head so we can have some fish tomorrow?

Give some purrs and head bumpies to your meowmie for me.

Mr. Spunky, speaking for the Kwintet and the crabby one in the back room.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Dear Auntie Mrspunkysmom,

Guess what, the weather has gotten cooler and I am eating more Meowmie brought home Meow Mix Market Select, the one with the crab and tuna. I snarfed it down so fast! She went back to the store and bought a few more of those little cups while they are on sale. I like the one with the crab and tuna best. Yesterday I ate a whole one of those AND a whole 5 1/2 ounce can of Friskies Paté. I keep meowmie on her toes, though, cos sometimes I eat a lot and sometimes I don't. It's my house so I can do that.

Could you purr-lease give all your kitties some petting, lovies and snuggles for us?

Purrs and head bumpies,
    Cassie
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Autumn wouldn't stop eating any time of year if she had free access to food. I think Hlao just tends to sleep more, although he gets all fluffy and looks fatter in the winter due to his winter coat.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton