Thread: chew bones

chew bones

does anybody know if they make chew bones for dogs that have no sugar in them. My dog is diabetic and i've been reading the ingredients in chew bones and i've found that the majority of them have sugar in them believe is or not. my dog has to eat special food, and he gets so excited over his chewy bone, but his blood sugar has gone up so i can't give him his treat anymore, please let me know if anyone has found sugarless chewy bones, thanks

Why don't you give him like an actual bone from a butcher? I imagine those wouldn't have sugar in them and if you could find one with some bone marrow still in it, I'm sure he would love that .
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

What about a raw bone from a butcher? They don't have sugar in them that I know of, just meat! The ones you get at pet stores probably do have sugar in them, stay away from those if your dog is diabetic.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I'd recommend a raw bone as well. Marrow bones are good (and you can easily scoop the marrow out if you think it might be too rich for your dog), shank bones are good, knuckle bones, etc. You just have to watch weight bearing bones as if your dog is an aggressive chewer (ie: chews very hard) they might chip or fracture a tooth. Though that can happen with any bone really. Dance (my toller) fractured a tooth on a nylabone of all things. Rib bones are good as well, but are different as they do actually eat the bone, whereas they can't get through/eat the weight bearing bones. You can get most of these at a grocery store, a butcher, and many pet stores that carry raw dog food.

If you're looking for something more as a treat type thing that he can actually eat that is not a bone, Bully Sticks are a great option. My dogs love them and while they don't last overly long (45mins at most for my guys), they do keep them occupied for a little while and tire them out a bit.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

PLEASE, be very careful when giving marrow bones. Dogs can and have had their upper or lower jaws (lower mostly) stuck in the middle/marrow part and had to have the bone sawed off at a vets. It happened to my moms lab and to a friends mid-size mutt. Both dogs were OK but extremely stressed and upset (not to mention how my mom and my friend felt )
    ~ at least I'm not...

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I never gave any of my dogs anything but raw bones or nylabones, tho these 2 little ones I have now were never really interested much in bones. Check at the meat department of your local grocery store - most will give you bones at no charge. The only bones I ever gave any of mine from meat I cooked at home, were ham bones. Ones of those kept them happy and busy for a long time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~