Thread: Flea Prevention - Cedar Cide aka Best Yet

Flea Prevention - Cedar Cide aka Best Yet

This came up at Willy's Agility class on Tuesday evening, several folks use it, have for some years and are quite happy with it:

http://www.cedarcidestore.com/NON_TO...S_CONTROL.html

The product used to be called "Cedar Cide," hence the name in the link; they have recently changed the name to Best Yet.

Two of them in class have schnauzers - one Standard, one Miniature. They are both using it. The Standard has used it for 3 years.

Our Agility instructor and another person in class have horses, got it for the horses and also use it on the dogs.

Also, they said you can spritz your closet to keep moths out of your wool winter items all year round.

Just though I'd share, this is a new product to me, I've not ever heard of it and not seen it discussed on here.

FYI: It's available on Amazon and other places, I haven't priced it.

Cedar is very likely to cause allergies and skin reactions. I would not spray it on my dog or cat. Around the house perhaps, but I'm allergic. Definately not something you can use with small mammals (hamsters and other rodents) either. I'd also suggest doing a lot of research if you have birds in the house. I really have a problem with this place claiming cedar has no toxic properties. Read about cedar oil here http://www.livestrong.com/article/22...-oil-toxicity/

Hate to be mean, but the website you posted has no good legit information besides the MSDS that most of the general public does not know how to read. I think you've been had by something hyped up by general population idiots who follow fads like sheep in a herd. The site itself claims its products are "chemical-free". Ha! Oxygen is a chemical! Of course there's chemicals in the bottle you're buying! Yes, it will work to get rid of fleas, but no I personally do not think cedar oil is a safe product. Pyrethrin is a natural organic compound from flowers used in many spot-on flea products. Its not 100% safe just because its from flowers but they can make the same claims as this cedar oil company.

FOund this quote online, "Cedarcide has a long history of outlandish claims regarding their products and marketing their product and you can just add this to the list. There are many professionals that won't use Cedarcide because of the way they have been noted to twist facts when marketing their product."
    Last edited by IRescue452; 11-10-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Back in the mid-80's when we had Labs we never ever had a problem with fleas. Our Labs had beds filled with mostly cedar, not the poly fill stuff they put in them these days. The dogs always smelled like cedar and we never ever had to use flea medicines or sprays or powder or anything.

I sometimes wonder if all of the flea medications the vets give out are not making the fleas immune and actually making the flea population worse.

I have never heard that cedar was harmful to pets.

Cedar is good for keeping moths away. We have a cedar chest for keeping wool sweaters in, though I am allergic to wool, so it gets used for storing other sweaters. So people without a cedar closet or cedar chest can spray cedar oil on closets to protect wool. It is a strong scent, though, and I would test it before using it on any dog as a flea preventative. It may be "all natural," but so it poison ivy!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I agree about the cedar filled beds. Years ago I had them for my RB Lhasas, and they never had fleas.

Something rather strange here this year tho. I have used Advantage or Advantix on the puppers for several years now with no issues - other than the price! This year I used no flea treatment at all on them, and neither had a single flea. I can't figure that one, but I'm sure not complaining about it. I told the family that the fleas must not like old meat!!

I wonder how often you have to use this Best Yet product. If it's not too often, then the price is very reasonable as compared to the spot on products. $30 per quart and $100 per gallon. Of course if it has to be used daily, then that could be rather pricey, depending on how many animals you are treating.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I agree about the cedar filled beds. Years ago I had them for my RB Lhasas, and they never had fleas.

Something rather strange here this year tho. I have used Advantage or Advantix on the puppers for several years now with no issues - other than the price! This year I used no flea treatment at all on them, and neither had a single flea. I can't figure that one, but I'm sure not complaining about it. I told the family that the fleas must not like old meat!!

I wonder how often you have to use this Best Yet product. If it's not too often, then the price is very reasonable as compared to the spot on products. $30 per quart and $100 per gallon. Of course if it has to be used daily, then that could be rather pricey, depending on how many animals you are treating.
    LOL..."old meat".

I was originally told with this product that it was certain cedars that were harmful to animals, so I figured it was okay. Upon further investigation, I have found that there is no 'special' cedar that will not bother the respiratory system. It's the same as making a small animal live in a cage with cedar shavings. Not good at all. While I don't have as big a problem with beds because the dogs can get off of them, when you're spraying something on the dog it stays with them. I still have my bottle and if I ever do see a flea, I won't hesitate to use it, but I do not use it as a preventative. Actually, I don't use any preventative and have never had a problem. But I would use it if I ever saw a flea.

And yes, the fleas are becoming immune to topical pesticides. I've been hearing a LOT about Frontline not working.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Opium is a natural and organic product. And tobacco. Marijuana. Aspirin.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Willow says, "Meow", but she's battlin' the same bugs!

First of all, being an indoor kitty, she doesn't have as big a challenge as the outdoor pets. Pretty much just the occasional bout of fleas. I thought I'd poisoned her when her back was a mess, and it was just a very hungry flea, so I put some more "Best" on her and she's feeling better. The irritation is subsiding. I'd combed her everyday and no bugs! One bug did all that! As for the reference to some poisons being natural substances etc, I hate to break it to you, but so is ninety percent of anything you use on your body if you are dumn enough to eat it in any quantity! Read the labels on your lotions, conditioners, shampoos...

I put the liquid in an old eye drop container, washed out first just on principle, and see to it that it goes past her fur to her skin. So she doesn't eat it for breakfast! (Be sure and label it first, and cover that w/clear packing tape, etc, or it goes away right away!) When I expressed my anxiety w/regards to the tiny disposable container and "don't get it on your skin" instructions that the Advantix and such from the vet brings on, my friend - the MD - laughed and said, "It's so you don't get it in your EYES!" Boy did I feel like a fool!! What seemed to bother her w/regards to the CedarCide concept was that it didn't have more exact instructions, ie just exactly how much/how often. As for the cat, she's finally "talking" to me again, having reacted with the justifiably excessive indignation in response to the excessive dousing! But she's healthy, purring, less uncomfortable, and properly indignant when not being pet, as of about seven this evening!

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    I sometimes wonder if all of the flea medications the vets give out are not making the fleas immune and actually making the flea population worse.
    We're seeing this happening now with frontline in our area.

facebook

Have to agree that the phenols in cedar oil are not good for the respiratory system. However I suppose I'd still much rather see people use cedar to avoid fleas, than the more popular chemical products which are much more harmful to the system. I do like to see people researching some different options.
    There is a really great recipe that gets passed around the Belgian list I am on.. Contains different oils and essences, and they swear by it for fleas, and it's completely safe. I should see if I can find it. It's probably alot of the same stuff I use for myself against mosquitoes, I just buy it at the health store.
    As for cedar, maybe when there is already a problem? But I probably wouldn't use it as a preventative. I wouldn't use the harsh chemicals either. We don't have a flea problem in my area anyways. Even lice, who were once typical for my area, have really died down. In 2006 I saw 5-6 dogs a day with lice. Now I have not seen a single case in over 3 years. My other groomer friend sees about 3 cases a year on average. I haven't seen fleas in, gosh, probably 5 or 6 years.

Down here in the states we had a much warmer than normal winter, which is why the flea problem is so much worse in some areas. That's also the reason Triple E - which effects people and horses, and West Nile are happening a lot more, as they are mosquito-borne diseases.
    I've Been Frosted