Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Your Pets Notice the Switch From Daylight Saving Time?

Do Your Pets Notice the Switch From Daylight Saving Time?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/pets-notice...215405656.html

You might think it unlikely that this weekend's switch from daylight saving time (DST) to standard time could throw your cat or dog's busy schedule — eat, sleep, eat, sleep — off-kilter. But, as it turns out, some animals are so in tune with their owners' schedules that falling back an hour can cause our furry friends some confusion.

Just like humans, animals have their own internal clocks that tell them when to eat, sleep and wake up. This biological timekeeper, also known as circadian rhythm, is set in motion by natural sunlight. However, for pets this effect is minimized by the artificial environment they live in, where light comes and goes not only with the rising and setting sun, but most often with the flip of a switch.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Yes!! When Taz was with me he always woke me up around 5am (which is my normal weekday schedule) to be fed, even on weekends. With time changes he still woke me up at the regular 5am time for a few days.

The dogs wake me up around 7am on weekends (Bruce feeds them during the week) to be fed. With time changes they still wake me up the first day at the old time. Again, it takes them a while to get on the new schedule.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Ha! Fister certainly didn't, he woke me up an hour before I was to get up, BUT... he soon got into the routine.

We had the change last week. Hate when it's getting dark so early!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

My furkids usually take a few days to adjust.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Autumn will wake me up an hour earlier tomorrow, I go through this every year with her. She doesn't know the difference, she only listens to her tummy. After a couple of days she gets back on the normal feeding time but tomorrow I know I will be up feeding her an hour early

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Miss Hoppy always took a couple days to adjust. The only "time" she cared about was "RAISIN TIME!!!!! 11 o'clock" and I'd have to tell her "not yet" and avoid touching anything that would sounds like the ziplock bag the box of raisins was kept in for the next hour!
    I've Been Frosted

I think for Fister it depends on the light and the sound of the birds in the tree outside the window.

Have a good sleep-in!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Mine know when it is time to eat.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yup - mine go by the belly and the pee schedules. They'll be up an hour earlier tomorrow. It takes them a while to adjust.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I honestly don't remember but I guess I will find out tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Ha! Fister certainly didn't, he woke me up an hour before I was to get up, BUT... he soon got into the routine.

We had the change last week. Hate when it's getting dark so early!
    Same here.. Mine will be expecting breakfast at 4:00 tomorrow morning and Sydney in particular will be trying to get me up then. It will take a few days before they get used to the new routine.

Funny... they make the switch TO Daylight Savings Time in no time!

I also hate it getting dark an hour earlier. At least since we're at the far end of the Eastern time zone here, it isn't as early as some places. I'm writing this now at about 6pm, and it's only just starting to get dark. There is still the last bit of sunlight to be seen. This is how it will be at 5pm tomorrow.

When I first moved to the East Coast, which is at the beginning of the Eastern time zone, was I in for a shock when I saw it starting to get dark around 3:30-4:00pm when Daylight Savings Time ended!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Gosh, I'm not sure! Interesting question, though! We don't have a very good schedule in place right now because I had three different start times for training this week. One day was at 9, two days were at 8 and two at 8:30. Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

I have a hard time adjusting to the time changes. This one is harder for me than the springtime one.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Notice?? Oy! Normal weekday time to get up is 6:20. Weekends we try and stretch a little. Not this morning!! Welcome back from Daylight Savings Time! Pinot started at 5:30. I don't leave (hubby is out of town) for church until 9:30. I'll have a whole day until then. Sheesh!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Yup - mine go by the belly and the pee schedules. They'll be up an hour earlier tomorrow. It takes them a while to adjust.
    That happened here at 4:30 this morning.

No

No, they stick to their schedule. They could care less that we decided to change the clocks AGAIN!