My somewhat kidney-challenged boy Sydney had his annual checkup last week. Sydney has been eating kidney wet food (Purina NF is the kind he and Bob dislike the least) and getting sub-Q fluids for years. But the vet thinks he's showing signs that the kidney disease is progressing. He's lost weight and the vet saw signs in his eyes of high blood pressure.

Dr. Bill wants to see him again in a couple of months but said if his pupils become completely enlarged I should bring him in right away. So I'm watching his eyes. His pupils respond to the light but it's never bright enough in here for them to become slits. I'm going to try shining a flashlight in his face or holding him up to a lamp.

And he can have whatever he wants to eat now! .Sounds easy, eh?.. Well, finding things he likes to eat is always a trick, because he is one of those cats with VERY discriminating tastes, and just because he likes something one day doesn't mean he'll even touch it the next. I got a couple cans of the Recovery prescription food for cats that are at the eat-whatever-they-want stage. He inhaled the first bowlful. The next time I gave it to him, he ate a bit off the top, then walked away. I've been getting in more of the Trader Joe's Tuna for Cats, which he likes often but then might walk away from the next time too. And I'm a little afraid of too much straight tuna.. isn't that rather rich, or something, for cats? I'm trying different Friskies and Fancy Feast flavors too. (He gets wet food almost entirely, dry just for a little snack from time to time.)

Also, sometimes he eats some, then starts to walk away, so I'll mound up the wet food into a little mountain, and then he'll eat some more off the top, until what's left is flattened down again. Then I re-mound it again, and try him again.. This can go on a few times in a row. And if he's still not interested, I'll put it aside for a while, then serve the rest of the dish to him, and he might eat it, he might not.

Of course, anything new and interesting-smelling to eat, all the others want it too.. so this all takes some planning.

Sydney is some 16 years old, so this is not exactly an unexpected turn of health for him, but any prayers, good energies, warm thoughts, etc. will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much from Sydney and Pat and the rest of the gang