Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update: Mystic is dying :(

Update: Mystic is dying :(

Mystic finished up his 21 days worth of antibiotics on Thursday. I got a pee sample on Friday and it was too old to use by the time the vet opened. They said to try and catch a fresh sample in the morning any day this week. I've been trying to do just that ever since, because the vet and I were afraid to bring him in for a urinalysis since that completely stresses him out.

He's been happy, energetic, and using the box perfectly since. Until tonight. He's very unhappy with a swollen pee-pee. I gave him a pain pill and Pred for inflamation. The vet will be called as soon as they open in the morning.

I know he's not blocked (his bladder is empty -- with 3 crystal prone cats, I learned to feel a full vs. empty bladder) I know he doesn't have crystals because he's on the CD food and the vet hasn't found any crystals on him in months. This is the same infection we've been fighting for a couple months now. The x-ray from 3 weeks ago showed no stones or crystals in his kidneys.

The only thing I know is that his blood panel was not pretty. She said there were so many blood cells that she couldn't even count them. She has no idea what is causing the infection(s).

Any idea what can hit him so hard, so fast? I'm telling you, the pee sample the other day was perfect -- nice color, from a nice stream, no smell, no pink blood tint like he'd been having. I was home the last two days and he was nothing less than happy and healthy.... I know because I obsess over his peeing status. I worked today and he hid under the bed the moment I came home (warning sign #1) I fed the cats and he stayed under the bed (warning sign #2)

Sigh, the Pred and pain meds have kicked in and he's as content as he could possibly be in my chair and soft blankets. I promise, if I thought for half a second he was in danger tonight, he'd be at the emergency vet. I trust my instincts and have experience here.
    Last edited by catnapper; 10-21-2011 at 11:20 AM.

I sure hope that he is OK and that it isn't anything too serious! I don't have any experience with that kind of thing, but will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers! Poor guy!
    Rest in Peace, dear Oreo: April 20, 1997-July 18, 2011
    :Rest in Peace, beautiful Sandi: March 18, 1994-January 23, 2010

::
    Rest in Peace, sweet Angel: July 1, 2001-May 14, 2009

Deb

I know the drill about checking for a full bladder. If his bladder is empty and he has pain pills and Pred to take, you're good until tomorrow. I hope they find out why he has these recurring infections.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I'm sorry to hear that he's still having peeing issues. Hopefully the vet can figure out whats causing them. My first thought is it's from stress. I hope he feels better soon.

He's not a happy little boy this morning. He doesn't want me to touch him, and forget picking him up We have an 11:00 vet appt and then I have to go to work.

Good luck at the vet!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

We are wishing you all the best at the Vets
    A Pet Talker Awesome Angels Delegation will be with Your Mystic to comfort him
    We are praying that the White Coats will be able to help
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

What struck me was how he was fine while you were home for two days, then the day you go back to work he has a flare up again. I'm also wondering if it isn't stress related.

Good luck at the vet and I hope they can figure out what is going on with poor Mystic.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

You might want to talk with the vet about having the urine cultured so you know exactly what you are dealing with. He may have developed a resistent strain of bacteria, which would require very different antibiotics to treat. (One of my little girls has that problem with URI's so we just go straight to the Zithromax and skip the Clavamox).

I'm sorry your Mystic is having health problems. Not only is it bad for her but stressful for you both. I do hope vet can figure out what is going on and get her better. According to your post, you're at work now. I'll check back later today. 12:53pm

What a long, long day. I have been crying for most of it. He had emergency surgery.... still not sure what happened, but the part I understood was that he has a blood clot causing the problem. He was also beats away from heart failure when we got him to the vet at 11:00.

I have no idea how much the surgery cost. Nor do I really care. The vet said I had 3 choices:
    euthanize him (NO!)
    let him die on his own (NO NO NO NO!)
    or surgery

Lets just say I told her to do the surgery. And I cried. A lot.

She had to stabilize him in order to get him strong enough to do the surgery. He was in bad shape. I do not understand how he went from happy, playful boy yesterday morning to dying boy within 24 hours.

Oh, and absolutely, positively ZERO crystals. None. But his urine was pure red. He has a serious infection that caused a blood clot... or maybe the clot caused the infection? I really, honestly, do not understand much of it. Manily because I was too busy crying to listen and comprehend what was being said.

He's having a hard time waking up from the surgery. The vet isn't sure why -- if its the stress of the day...the major pain meds/steroids/antibiotics/anisthesia combos... or that he was just that close to dying.

I am just go glad we got him there in time. Prayers please for my boy. I won;t have him home til Saturday night at the earliest.

Prayers from RI, hope you have some news from the vet.

oh KIM. Major huge prayers going out for you and Mystic. His recovery may be slow, but as long as it is upwards, that is all that matters!

Praying that he wakes up and that all is good.

{{{{HUGS}}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

You have my prayers.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Prayers here, too! Thank goodness you got him to the vet when you did!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018