Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should I get my dogs neutered?

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    People shouldn't dish it out if they can't take it. Tit for tat!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

This 'should I neuter or should I not' debate reminds me about seat belts. Yep, seat belts.

I am a huge proponent of seat belt usage. From time to time, I run into someone that says, "the officer/fireman said if I had my seat belt on, I would have died, so I don't wear it". Not only do I find this hugely irresponsible of the officer/fireman, but it is usually in such a rare, limited, "maybe its true" type of situation that it even makes sense.

I think that same way about neutering. When I *know* how many animals are put to death- each and every day in this country- I cannot come up with enough reason to ever not neuter your pet. Each and every litter avoided helps.

Hi, lurker here who registered to briefly weigh in on this topic.

B&Baussies, if you are still studying at a tertiary level, you should have access to a fair number of academic journals - just do a quick search for the risks and benefits of gonadectomy in dogs. There are a fair number of good, recent reviews. I'd provide links but most of them require a subscription. A review of the evidence (non-peer reviewed but well cited) is also available here.

Veterinary medicine is based on evidence and, like human medicine, must weigh up both population and individual health. I tend to think castration of domestic animals has most benefit at a population level, but that's not to say there aren't individual benefits as well.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie View Post
    Hi, lurker here who registered to briefly weigh in on this topic.

B&Baussies, if you are still studying at a tertiary level, you should have access to a fair number of academic journals - just do a quick search for the risks and benefits of gonadectomy in dogs. There are a fair number of good, recent reviews. I'd provide links but most of them require a subscription. A review of the evidence (non-peer reviewed but well cited) is also available here.

Veterinary medicine is based on evidence and, like human medicine, must weigh up both population and individual health. I tend to think castration of domestic animals has most benefit at a population level, but that's not to say there aren't individual benefits as well.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for.
    thank you frankie that is all worth while reading & very helpful.

My first dog was not neutered. He was just fine. He lived up to be 18 years old. He was a Lab/Beagle mix. Best dog I ever had. Otherwise, the next couple dogs I've had growing up, they were either spayed/neutered. Each owner is different. Each to their own.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred