Thread: How to stop dog from moving too much?

How to stop dog from moving too much?

About little over a week ago, Adele injured her leg on the inside (I guess you could say in her "armpit"). We don't actually know how it happened, but she cut the inside of her leg somehow and then made it worse by chewing on the injury before I saw it. She got stitches in last weekend, and has been wearing a cone collar 24 hours a day, unless she's eating or drinking.

Somehow, the stitches came loose. She's been enclosed at all times unless she goes outside to potty, so I'm pretty sure that it's from moving around in the crate, like "digging" in there when we are gone. On Saturday, she had staples put in to close it up better and the vet gave us a sedative to keep her from being too active. She's ok if we are home- she just lays in her enclosed area and rests. However, when we gone and we can't watch her, I'm pretty sure that she's been doing her leg harm somehow by moving around (there is already a small tear under the staples). This is WITH the sedative.

How the heck do I get her to stop re-injuring herself? Like I said, she is ok when we are home, but we can't be home 24 hours everyday. What should I do to keep her still while we are gone? She's already in the crate with a cone collar on and has a sedative for when we are away...I don't know what else to do! Any ideas welcome!! Thanks!

I know how hard this can be, especially in the armpit area with the littlest stretch can rip out stitches. Molli was cut pretty badly by a groomer once in the armpit area. It was a pain in the butt to heal.

How about a lots of different kong type toys filled with treats or peanut butter? If she has a sensitive tummy you can use canned pumpkin instead. Would this keep her busy? I know some dogs may only stay entertained for an hour, while others might work at it all day. All I can think of is keeping her in a small, comfortable space with plenty of fun toys to entertain her.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Willy had a hot spot in his armpit last month, and by the time I knew of it, infection had set in. He will not tolerate a cone collar. The vet suggested an inflatable collar, and wow! He was FINE with it! They are pricey, especially as I just went from the vet's to PetCo and bought it -- could have saved over half buying it online.

He was able to eat, drink, sleep in it no issues at all. Perhaps a different type of collar will help your girl?

http://www.petco.com/product/100555/...ve-Collar.aspx

Just fits around the neck, no need to slip it onto a collar or anything like that.

Then, she may be more comfy AND better able to use the Kongs dab-20 suggested!

I really can't think of anything but what you are now doing, but Freedom's
    dsea of inflatable collar might be just the thing. If she's restless in the cage
    because she can't get comfortable with the big, wider collar.

I hope you find the answer & Adele heals up soon.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Dear sweet Adele! Please, please try not to move too much while your leg heals. Fingers and paws crossed for you, sweety
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Blog Entries
    Do you have a small room where Adele could just feel comfortable in? Maybe the Crate is to confining with the cone collar on?

I like the idea of the inflatable collar; maybe it will hinder some anxiety. But I’d also talk with your vet about a temporary splint to hold the leg in position, just while the dog is left alone. If nothings working this would be the best bet to get the wound to stay closed as well as not restricting the dog too much. That combined with the sedative your dog will probably just start sleeping while you’re gone.
    This is a big deal though, if those wounds keeps reopening infection can set in that can lead to a whole mess of problems. Good luck and keep an eye on the wound for any redness, inflammation, and less than normal looking colors.
    P.S. I would get some appropriate first aid cleaning supplies just to clean the area every now in then (morning and night maybe). It's much easier to prevent infection than it is to cure it.

How about a Thundershirt? In my experience, when a dog wears a Thundershirt, they typically don't want to move much at all.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to look into the alternative collar and shirt (although I did try a t-shirt on her at first and she got it off somehow even with her big collar on while we were gone).

Adele saw the vet again today and they took out the staples because they weren't doing much...now the wound is open, but they said it should still heal as long as it stays clean (she will obviously have a huge scar though). She's on a very strong antibiotic and with me cleaning it a few times a day hopefully it will eventually get better (plus she'll be going to the vet every 5 days or so to get it rechecked). The vet thought it would take another few weeks to heal. I wish I could just tell her to hold still and leave it alone!