Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinks possums are nasty ugly creatures? Maybe this will change your mind. :)

The picture with the hat on is beyond cute!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

He's adorable and I'm glad that he gets along well with everyone.

Im glad its working out for you and hope it continues to work for you.

I cannot get over the fact that it is a wild animal and it should be in the wild and not be a pet.

I dont remember right now if you are experienced with rehabilitating wild animals, I really do hope you are.

Not trying to be negative about this. Best of luck.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Very cute!
    When I worked for a wildlife rehabber the opossums we're among my favorites.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Im glad its working out for you and hope it continues to work for you.

I cannot get over the fact that it is a wild animal and it should be in the wild and not be a pet.

I dont remember right now if you are experienced with rehabilitating wild animals, I really do hope you are.

Not trying to be negative about this. Best of luck.
    Like I said previously, his mother was hit by a car and because of that he developed neurological issues. He cannot be released into the wild, especially now since he has imprinted on humans and other animals. He is terrified of being outside. We do take him out regularly just so he can be in "nature" but he much prefers to be inside with us. Opossums have ranked smarter than dogs on tests. They are very content being pets. It is much different than say, taking a fox (and not fur farm foxes which have been domesticated for years), alligator, bird etc from the wild. Much much different.

Also, I have worked with wildlife for many many years, and volunteer for Willamette Wildlife. I have raised many an opposum, hence why you can see how healthy my "pet" oppossum is compared to most others you see on the internet. Do a search for pet possum and you will see the difference. This is all due to the fact that these people have no experience with these animals and do not do their research on proper care, feeding and husbandry needed to keep one successfully healthy as a pet. When I worked at Santa Clara Animal Hospital (the head vet used to be the lead vet for Wildlife Safari- a drive through zoo in Oregon and the leading breeder of the endangered Cheetah), a man had a pet possum and would bring it in regularly for check ups. It was always sick, probably due to the fact that the man fed it lots of candy, and would also bring Skittles and M&M's with him during appointments. These were his possum "treats." Also, I work at a vet clinic. How would any layperson be able to schedule a possum neuter? Most vets do not get involved with wild animals, one because they are wild and there are specific laws about their care and treatment, and two, they just don't know much about them.

I have years and years of experience with exotics and wild animals. Cats and Dogs were once wild animals as well. As were skunks, degus, parrots etc. As long as the animal is well cared for and loved it should not matter where the animal lives. As long as it remains healthy and happy.
    Last edited by luckies4me; 10-18-2011 at 02:33 AM.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

He's a cute little feller. It sounds as if you really know what you're doing with him. More than likely he would have died if you had not taken such good care of him. I agree with other poster that the pic with hat is adorable. Hope all goes well in the future.

Thanks.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I will start by saying they do creep me out. But seeing this guy incorporated with your family he is a cutie!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks! I think their large mouths and eyes creep most out. They are so gentle though.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

I think the long mostly naked tail folks see, and that wild opossums are usually seen only at night, so in the glow of a headlight or flashlight and their eyes reflect the light help creep some people out. But I have never been, I think it is neat that they are our own native marsupial!
    I've Been Frosted

That is the cutest little thing I've ever seen, first time I see a real possum, thanks for sharing the pictures, love them.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Thanks.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

AWEEE I just adore that baby !!! I want to steal!
    Looks like your boyfriend and him are best buddies!! Thats hilarious the way he sleeps!
    I have always wanted to own an exotic critter! I would love a skunk or possum, but they are illegal here in BC.
    Great pics!

I want one so bad. I once stopped for a possum crossing the road and it stopped and turned its head toward my car and I swear it grinned at me before finishing crossing. It was like saying "thanks for stopping". I love their faces with their big noses.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

It's funny seeing him with your kitties, he fits right in! It's cool that you took him in, I'm not a fan of the idea of taking in wild animals unless in cases like yours, you're doing a great thing that a lot of people surely would not have done.
    The pups

The Kitty Krew

"Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." - Dean Koontz, False Memory