Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clinical research studies for fun and profit!

Clinical research studies for fun and profit!

I just realized this discussion was starting to hijack the thread on ways to earn extra money, so I'm starting a new thread to continue it:

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    Wait !!!! They're paying you for this ??? Big bucks ???
    I've never heard of anyone getting paid for a doo doo before.
    I'll try this on eBay.
    Wombats Doo Doo Buy it Now $2.99 plus $3.99 postage.
    Yup, there are up to five visits to the U med center for this particular study, during which and between which you do different things or they do different things to you. I just had my third visit yesterday. Each one I get $60 cash.

They're looking big-time for subjects for studies! I ran in a race last Sunday, and U-M Clinical Studies was one of the sponsors, handing out flyers and carabiners and water bottles to entice new volunteers.

Here's where you sign up, Wom: https://www.umms.med.umich.edu/regis...Volunteers.htm

There are probably colleges and other scientific research institutions in Australia looking for subjects, if you want one closer to home.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I remember looking into this when I was a college student. You normally have to fit a certain set of parameters for age, gender, any medical conditions, whether or not you smoke, etc. I was considering it, but once I got to know Paul, he convinced me he would rather I not be a medical guinea pig, as you never know what side effects some of these things might have!

So I never did one, but I know that my brain tumor*, at least, was not a result of something I volunteered for!

*Don't worry, it was benign, an acoustic neuroma, removed years ago and nothing since ...
    I've Been Frosted

Uh oh.. now I'm wondering what the possible side effects might be of this potential medication for constipation that I might or might not be taking..

In the early 1980s I was in some studies at Mass. General on .. sunburn or mild burns to the skin.. or something like that. Different patterns of red were done on the backs of my thighs under some kind of blue lights (probably the UVA or UVB rays they tell you to avoid at all costs now).. I seem to be none the worse for it after all this time, fortunately.

This was in the summer, when I was going around in shorts all the time. One friend later told me he thought I must have been severely burned as a child or something.

I'm glad your brain tumor was benign, Karen! Thank God.
    Last edited by phesina; 10-15-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    How about ingesting some jewelry or something. It could be a treasure hunt for the winner.
    Actually, that's sort of how the data are acquired!

For the last few days I was doing the following to determine how my system measures up or ranks or scores or whatever before I've had any of the test pills. When the three weeks of taking the pills are up, then I have to do this again.

I ingested this little ..electronic capsule. I also had a monitor about the size of an old-time transistor radio to wear on my belt or otherwise not have more than 5 feet away for me. As the capsule passed along on its journey, it communicated with the monitor, telling it whatever information it picked up.

I also had to keep a little diary... but that's a whole other chapter here..

I was to do this for as long as it took the capsule to depart from me, or for 7 days, whichever came sooner. I swallowed it on Monday, and it came out the other end on Thursday.
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Actually, that's sort of how the data are acquired!

For the last few days I was doing the following to determine how my system measures up or ranks or scores or whatever before I've had any of the test pills. When the three weeks of taking the pills are up, then I have to do this again.

I ingested this little ..electronic capsule. I also had a monitor about the size of an old-time transistor radio to wear on my belt or otherwise not have more than 5 feet away for me. As the capsule passed along on its journey, it communicated with the monitor, telling it whatever information it picked up.

I also had to keep a little diary... but that's a whole other chapter here..

I was to do this for as long as it took the capsule to depart from me, or for 7 days, whichever came sooner. I swallowed it on Monday, and it came out the other end on Thursday.
    So how do you know you've passed the capsule ???
    Has it got little spikey things on it so you know for sure ??? Or do they give you a set of chopsticks to go look for it ??
    Sounds like fun....something to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

"I'm Back !!"

Chopsticks.. that's a good idea for the next round of this!
    Death thought about it.

Chopsticks.. that's a good idea for the next round of this!
    Just make sure they are recycleable chopsticks. You just might need them in case you have someone you don't like over for a Chinese banquet.

"I'm Back !!"

I didn't have to find it.. but then I would have had to wear the monitor and keep the little diary for the whole seven days. And I wanted to be done with those as soon as the capsule was out.

I had some disposable vinyl exam gloves and a bunch of wooden coffee stirrer sticks to poke around with. Chopsticks would no doubt work much better than the stirrer sticks.

AND then I could start thinking who to invite over for Chinese food! (A couple of people I used to work with would be perfect.) Gosh, Wom, you are just so inventive. Always coming up with brilliant ideas..
    Death thought about it.

Gosh, Wom, you are just so inventive. Always coming up with brilliant ideas..
    True.
    These are the kind of chopsticks you should get. As you can see, they have many many useful purposes.

"I'm Back !!"

I am the walrus..

My gosh, I never knew chopsticks could be SO useful for so many different purposes! Leave it to Wombat to enlighten me.

Wom, is that you in the picture modelling them?
    Death thought about it.

Wom, is that you in the picture modelling them?
    Nope, not me.
    I had that pic sent to me from Iowa. I think it could be Bonny and her hubby.

"I'm Back !!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    Nope, not me.
    I had that pic sent to me from Iowa. I think it could be Bonny and her hubby.
    No chopsticks at our house. They don't come with any instructions.

I've been taking the test pills and/or placebos since Friday now, and so far, no noticeable side effects.
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    No chopsticks at our house. They don't come with any instructions.
    Just sharpen em, and stick em up ya nose. That's what I do

"I'm Back !!"

I've been taking the test pills and/or placebos since Friday now, and so far, no noticeable side effects.
    No little tummy rumbles yet ???
    We ARE waiting for a full report on the coming deluge.

"I'm Back !!"