Thread: One Year Without Tiki

One Year Without Tiki

A year ago from today I got the news that Tiki had passed away. It is so weird to think that is has been a year already. Because of all the stuff going on in my life at the same time, I still feel like I never paid her passing the proper respect. I chose not to get her body or ashes, since I basically had no clue what to do with it. All I asked for was her collar and I still have that. When Kelly died, I had a sort of burial where I buried vet bills connected to her passing and other stuff with bad memories, so that was one way to get some closure.
    With Tiki I never did anything of that sort. I kept her jackets and sweaters (in her old days she got chilly a lot easier) but I never figured out what to do with them. Two months ago or so, I finally threw them away.
    I dunno. I don't necessarily think that a burial is that important, since I know the memory lives inside me and that's also how I want it to be. But at the same time I can't help but feel guilty somehow. I feel guilty that I didn't have more of a need to mark her passing. I put her collar next to a picture and that was it. I can't help but feel like I got over her too soon, or something.
    Maybe it's like that because she never made it to the U.S., so I living in our new apartment in Cheektowaga, I wasn't confronted with anything which specifically reminded me about her so that made the loss easier to bear. Every new experience and memory was built without her presence and I was hardly ever confronted with situations or locations which specifically reminded me about her.

It's not that I don't miss her though. I miss her terribly and I am still feeling so horribly guilty about her passing. I still think about her every single day. Especially this last week or so, since it's now been a year since she died.

I always think of her as my teacher, since she was my first dog and I got her when I was 14 (in 1998) and as a 14 year old I thought I knew everything there was to know about dogs and of course there were no boundaries to what I was going to teach MY perfect dog. And she did learn a lot. She knew tons of tricks and she always learned any trick within minutes. But all the wisdom she taught me is so much more valuable.
    I chose her for all the wrong reasons and in no way did she turn out to be the perfect "Wishbone" dog I planned she should be. She tipped over garbage cans, barked angrily at any black person she saw, killed a whole nest of baby hares, chewed car seat belts, locked herself in the car (more than once) and ate any piece of candy which wasn't carefully hidden away. By no means was she perfect but she was so much better than that. She was my teacher, my friend and my real life dog.

This one is not the best, but I believe it's the last photo I ever got of her. She is laying in the cardboard box which I used to keep her's and Taggart's toys in. The box was right next to my desktop computer, so it's where she preferred to be when I was sitting in front of the computer

I think this is the perfect memorial for her. I know how much you love and miss her everyday. The circumstances just made her passing easier for you to deal with. That doesn't mean you do not love and miss her.

These pictures are great! She was such a beautiful pup.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    We all handle the loss of a beloved pet differently. There is no right way or wrong way. Tiki knows that you loved her and miss her, and just the fact that you posted this thread, proves that. You have her pictures, you have her collar, and most of all, you have all the memories that will live on with you thru eternity.
    Peace and {{{hugs}}} to you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

She may not have been the "perfect dog" by anyone else's standards, but she was your perfect dog, and your teacher. Her legacy lives on in every interaction you have with dogs for the rest of your life!

Play hard at the Rainbow Bridge, Tiki, I have a feeling "rest" was never your strong point!
    I've Been Frosted

Such nice pictures of Tiki. How we grieve our furkids loss varies from person to person as well as from each furkid we lose. You loved Tiki and I'm sure she knew that. You miss her still and have her in your heart forever. That's all that matters.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla