Thread: Raw throat issues

Raw throat issues

Okay, so a friend of mine is having problems with their cat. The throat of the cat (outside skin) has somehow became raw. They don't know what exactly is causing it - scratching, some form of mite, etc - but they were wanting to know if there's some way to generally treat this without resorting to taking the cat to the vet and spending money that they don't really have. Any suggestions? I've seen the cat myself, the rawness is localized in the area between the chin and the bottom of their neck but not the sides or the back of the neck.

Have they checked kitty for fleas? Have they changed foods lately?
    I've Been Frosted

Take your cat to a vet and don't try to diagnose. It could be food allergies, mite allergies, a NUMBER of things.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Have they checked kitty for fleas? Have they changed foods lately?
    They have the cat on a flea treatment, and they haven't changed foods to my knowledge.

Even if they have not changed foods lately, the cat could have developed a food allergy - they do just pop up sometimes. How is the cat behaving? Does it wear a flea collar or any kind of a collar? Is the skin red or raw or dry or flaky? A trip to the vet is the best thing. Is the area changing or growing?
    I've Been Frosted

It COULD very well be an allergy to the flea medicine. But I would definitely have the vet check it out. See if the vet can work out a payment arrangement. Good luck.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!