Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question

A question

Some of you might know I recently lost my precious kitty, Kiba. I feel an emptiness in my heart without her. I seem to have it in my head the only way I'll feel better is to get a new kitten. Everyone tells me this is a terrible idea since it's too soon. I guess I agree it's too soon, but how do I stop thinking about it? I really don't think it will stop hurting. I know I want another kitten some day. I'd like to wait til Clover is a little older so she won't hurt the kitten...People tell me I should wait til Clover is 2 years old before getting a kitten (so like...1.5 years) so she'll be trained and so I will have more time for the kitten. It's been a long time since I've had a kitten...are they really that much work? Like compared to a pup. I have more then enough time on my hands right now to give love to both a pup and kitten. What do you think? How much time should I wait?

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

What about getting an adult cat? They are much, much less work than a kitten, and more likely to defend themselves if a pup gets fresh.
    I've Been Frosted

IMO, raising Clover with the kitten might be a good idea. I would try to get a kitten a bit older though so it wouldn't be too tiny. Of course there should be major supervision between the two of them for a long while.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    IMO, raising Clover with the kitten might be a good idea. I would try to get a kitten a bit older though so it wouldn't be too tiny. Of course there should be major supervision between the two of them for a long while.
    Now would be a great time to get a kitten so it could grow up with Clover. Cats have claws and can go places dogs cannot. I think a kitten would be able to fend for itself. An adult cat may not be receptive to living with a dog unless it has had dog friends before.

You know though that one pet cannot replace another. You will never forget your other cat. They remain in our hearts forever. Hope this helps in your decision making process.

I've lost 5 cats, over 17 years. Sometimes, I couldn't even THINK about adding a cat for 18 months. Sometimes, a cat /kitten who needed ME tuned up 5 days later.

Grief is a strange thing. It is different every time. It depends on the relationship you had w/ the departed (pet or human) AND on the stage you are at in your life. No one can tell you when is the right time for you to get another feline, that is a personal decision.

People can remind you to consider: the newbie will be an individual, who wants to be loved for itself. It will not be a replacement, but a new being who enters you life. The personality will be unique, and maybe be completely different. You need to be adding a newbie because it is right for you AND THAT living thing.

As for Clover, in general it is best to add a feline wile she is young. Lik umans, pets are most adaptable when young.

And of course, nothing says you must get a kitten. Shelters are full of young and mature adult cats just wanting a furever home!

I took in Josephine Moosie Gidget Spunkette Killearn Smokey of many names and so far My Resident Found Cats and she have a cold war going on.

We are praying that when you get your Kitten Companion
    that Clover will make the New Arrival welcome, after of course first laying down the law!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    I took in Josephine Moosie Gidget Spunkette Killearn Smokey of many names and so far My Resident Found Cats and she have a cold war going on.

We are praying that when you get your Kitten Companion
    that Clover will make the New Arrival welcome, after of course first laying down the law!!!
    LOL!

When I got my first cat back in 2002, my Lab Casey was about 6 years old then. I was horrified to let her near the cat because she was a confirmed (I thought) cat hater. Finally when they got together it turned out Casey really just wanted to lick the kitty and become friends. I am still amazed to think that Casey ended up being a friend to many cats after that until she went to the RB. Labs are just so awesome. I am sure sweet Clover would welcome a new furry friend in her house.

That may be part of the problem that My Josephine Poppaea Moosie Spunkette Killearn Smokey ^^ had a lot of trouble with the outdoor strays , and hisses at My Found Cats
    I dont think that a Two Year Old Cat would actually hurt a Kitten, but they are trying to lay down the law as to who is the boss.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I agree with Freedom. It is up to you when you get another kitty. I waited almost a year before I got another one after my Taz died.
    Bruce wanted another dog about a week after he lost his Cocker 6 years ago. We got Zoee three weeks after DJ passed.

If you could find an young adult kitty that has experience with dogs that would be perfect. My shelter sometimes knows if cats are dog friendly from foster homes or information given when/if surrendered. But a lot of times we don't know.

I also agree with chocolatepuppy that supervision is a MUST. Especially at first.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

The reason I want a kitten, (as selfish as this is) I feel I bond more closely to a younger animal. I have a cat now, he is 8. I adopted him when he was 2 years old. He is an amazing cat. Nothing bothers him. Clover jumps on him and nips at him and he just stands there and doesn't get upset. I've never see him upset. He just meows and purrs and snuggles. That being said, I don't have the same bond with him as I did with Kiba. Kiba followed be everywhere and always wanted to be with me. I really liked that. I felt she thought I was her person. Just me. I felt good about that. (sorry I'm very weird about this)

Anyway, Clover is getting much better at leaving my cat alone but he doesn't have any claws to tell her to back off. (I adopted an older cat because he was declawed, I didn't have this done so don't get mad at me My kitten will not be.)

I'm thinking once I get a job and have some money again it may be the right time for a kitten. Maybe her and Clover could be friends and play??

Oh one more thing. When I do get my kitten, the Humane Society always spays them before they can leave the shelter. I'm a little concerned about a young kitten being fixed. I really want to adopt from the shelter though I just don't want my kitten to not grow properly or not be healthy. Also if she's in pain from her surgery then comes home to me, will she relate that pain to me and be afraid?

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

I Say "Do What Your Heart Tells You" Your Feelings & Love Will Be True To Which Way You Go = Cat or Kitten..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I think that's totally fine to want another cat! But yes, please adopt a kitten as there are literally thousands of kittens needing a loving home. Regarding your question about spaying/Neutering at a young age, that is nothing to worry about. I've seen hundreds of kittens be spayed and neutered at as young as 7 weeks old, wake up totally fine and grow to be healthy cats! So no worries there!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

My Jax was 9 weeks old when I got him and he was fixed at the shelter probably the week before I adopted him. He's had no issues from this. He is the goofiest cat I've ever had.
    If you want a kitten........then get a kitten. I think either way as long as you are saving a life it doesn't matter the age. It's whatever you want.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

We adopted Bentley 2 weeks after Princess died. I needed a kitten to fill the void. We already had Butler, 2 1/2. They are a perfect match. You have to do what is in your heart. Bentley, a boy, was already altered when we brought him home. I am happy that we did it that way. I don't know how we ever lived without him, I would have missed him so much by leaving him at the vet for his operation. Again, do what is in your heart.

I completely agree with Taz_Zoee. Calvin & Hobbes were neuterd at 7 weeks with no problem. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Follow your heart. Only YOU know what's right for you.
    Claudia & Calvin