Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat in the Hat Mural

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

Cat in the Hat Mural

Started tracing this on Friday morning at 8, finished at 8pm Sunday! For my 35th birthday, David purchased the supplies for the mural, kept Clara busy and the house kept all weekend, and gave me a super sweet handmade card and breakfast in bed this morning. My sister-in-law helped all three days, my friend Kelly helped two days, and my friends Danielle and Morgan came over today. We all initialed the wall, and signed the transparency sheet I used to trace the design on the wall. I'll frame the transparency to keep in Clara's room. What an experience! I have such an amazing life.

Here are some progression photos!

Projected image (I bought the projector used off craigslist, and it was DIRTY, those big smudges are on the projector)

Penciled in! (Friday, 8am-1:30pm, all me!)

Outlined in black paint! (Saturday, my sister-in-law and me)

Me painting on Saturday

Painted Saturday (my sister-in-law, Kelly and me)

All done! Finished Sunday (everyone helped!)

The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

WOW!!! That's a wonderful mural and she'll enjoy it for years to come.

That is the coolest thing ever! I love Cat in the Hat.

I've never seen anything like that. WOW that is really cool! I like it! Well done.

How awesome for all to lend a hand to make this happen.

That is so amazing Great job

I was thinking of doing that for Hannahs room one day ... but I don't have a projector and I don't know that I could free hand something quite that big

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Thank you, everyone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
    . . . but I don't have a projector and I don't know that I could free hand something quite that big

I got mine from craigslist for $20. I was going to rent one for the weekend, but it was $50.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Great job, that's a lot of work, but it'll be there for year and years to come! Anyone who hasn't done a mural might not know how tedious it can be, but the results are worth it for sure!
    I've Been Frosted

WOW, what a job! That is fantastic! Well done!

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Oh my gosh Kari, that is phenominal! You're so talented. Laura is sitting next to me and is saying Cat Hat, she loves the show and the books. It's really special. Clara will enjoy it for so many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Great job, that's a lot of work, but it'll be there for year and years to come! Anyone who hasn't done a mural might not know how tedious it can be, but the results are worth it for sure!
    Tedious is a great word for it. None of it was super hard, but it was definitely time consuming. I was rarely by myself (except for the tracing), and only took an hour out of her room, in 10-15 minute breaks, each day. We lost power on Friday night, so all that was done on Friday was tracing and supply shopping. Saturday and Sunday were non-stop painting, with two to five people at a time! I'm already brainstorming for her other two walls.

Wow, I'm impressed! I can't help but admire your patience, creativity, and extraordinary talent. You did an incredible job!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

That is awesome!!
    I want a mural on this one huge wall we have at work. Everyone laughed at me when I said it. But I think it would be awesome! It's the perfect wall for it. But I have ZERO talent. Even with tracing. LOL

I can't wait to see what you do on the other walls.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Wow, I love it. Looks like a fun project

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

lovely and amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    That is awesome!!
    I want a mural on this one huge wall we have at work. Everyone laughed at me when I said it. But I think it would be awesome! It's the perfect wall for it. But I have ZERO talent. Even with tracing. LOL

I can't wait to see what you do on the other walls.

I have never done anything like this before, and I did it well! You can totally do it!

I have already chosen a page from the same activity book that I got the Thinga-ma-jigger design from. It's an underwater scene with Sally and a dolphin! I'm not 100%, yet, but I really like it! And I LOVE how Clara says "doll-sin" haha.