Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Organic?

In my opinion, pesticides are pesticides, it doesn't matter if they are from an natural source or synthetic. Just because the pesticides used on organic produce are from nature doesn't make them any safer/better. There are lots of things in nature that are harmful to consume. Look at Rotenone. It was a popular organic pesticide for a long time, which has been recently banned due to it's health risks.

Also since Organic farmers don't use Genetically Modified Organisms they often have to use MORE pesticides than non-organic famers.

As far as milk goes, I don't think organic vs. non-organic makes a difference. I'm not against drinking milk, however I do think we consume too much of it. Someone mentioned the hormones given to some cows. But what about the hormones that are naturally there? The hormones that are meant to produce milk that will grow baby cows into big adult cows. We're not cows, we don't really need it. We're the only mammals who continue drink milk into adulthood. We're also the only mammals who drink the milk of another mammal. So if you're really worried about the hormones you should stop drinking milk all together.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I have always tried to buy certain things organic (like milk and eggs), but lately, since I've found a menu planning/grocery shopping website that only uses 20 ingredients a week (not counting basic pantry items, like spices and oils), I've actually been able to almost completely convert to organic everything, even chicken! I don't waste time, money or food following the plan, and it has made all the difference for us! I have a "Dirty Dozen" list that I try to live by, as far as fruits and veggies, buying almost exclusively organic items that made the list.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix View Post
    We're also the only mammals who drink the milk of another mammal.
    I can't speak of the rest of your post . . . but to this statement, I have to say . . . I have seen firsthand kittens nursing from dogs and puppies nursing from cats, and heard of other such tales of animals drinking the milk of another species.

As for adult mammals . . . I suppose the only source they could get milk from "on their own" or "naturally" would be directly from the lactating female, and I don't know personally of grown animals nursing past a young age.

But, given the option, I've never personally had a pet (including a rat) turn their nose up at milk. And, I know many species will drink cow's or goat's milk if they have the option.

My thing is just to try to consume basic simple food and drink. I will eventually grow at least half of my own produce, but for now, I do think it's a safer alternative to choose organic when I can. I don't freak if I can't, or judge those who can't or choose not to go organic.

I will probably never go completely vegetarian, so I can't really say I'm overly concerned with naturally occurring hormones in any animal source. One thing I can say for certain is that I LOVE the taste of organic milk and don't like non-organic milk at all. I just didn't drink milk until I started buying organic for Clara.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I totally agree with everything you said finn's mom! I also think organic food tastes better. The milk in particular!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I've been thinking about it. I guess I need to try it!
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

.....Finns Mom.....where did you find the website utilizing 20 ingredients a week, etc., ?

Thanks to PCB!

Quote Originally Posted by Lillycat View Post
    .....Finns Mom.....where did you find the website utilizing 20 ingredients a week, etc., ?
    Yes! I'm interested as well!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I don't personally pay attention to non organic or organic. My bf once told me that the organic veggies at normal grocery stores come from the same source as the regular ones (he works in produce at a grocery store).

I try to eat healthy- avoid red meats, simple carbohydrates, saturated/trans fats, etc. I especially have gained a lot of weight since starting college over a year ago, and am taking nursing nutrition in school, so I've especially become aware of what goes in to my body!
    I don't pay much attention to organic food because it's more expensive and my mom buys a lot of my food still (still living at home).

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by Lillycat View Post
    www.thefresh20.com It's $5 a month!

Thanks a bunch.....

.......I appreciated your doing that for me!!!

Thanks to PCB!

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20 View Post
    My bf once told me that the organic veggies at normal grocery stores come from the same source as the regular ones (he works in produce at a grocery store).

That store probably needs to be reported. Organic vs non organic is serious business to a lot of consumers.

I know the store I work at gets their organic produce from different producers than the non organic produce.