Thread: Deaf Sweet Girl

Deaf Sweet Girl

Back in April 2010 my sister called me about a cat that was hanging out by her food and looked pretty skinny so she thought it was another drop off. Yep some of you probably remember me telling you about the drop offs that has happened, etc. I found a cat rescue that was willing to take in Ruby so we met the main rescue lady and gave her Ruby.

Anyway, so on Aug. 24th I got this e-mail:

"I think you are the person who asked us to take the long haired cat Ruby. You got her outside your sister's house. She is still not adopted. She is being considered for euthanazia. I'm wondering if you would like to take her back.

Carolyn"

Let's just say some of u might know I'm going through a rather tough time personally and this is the last thing I needed. I talked with my sister about it and she decided she would foster Ruby till we can find her a forever home. So on Sunday, Aug. 28th, my sister met with the foster mom for Ruby and it was very quick, Ruby's foster mom said she's grumpy, doesn't do well at adoption events and she's just not a happy cat. She put Ruby in my sister's back seat with the cat carrier said she didn't need it back and went to her car. My sister who has been with me during transports, etc. knows that usually you are there for a bit talking but she called me and said the girl put Ruby in her car and ran back to her car and took off.

I felt terrible for Ruby and so did my sister. My sister said that once she let Ruby out the cat carrier she was purring and rubbing against my sister's legs.

Later in the day Ruby was scratching at the carpet and my sister told Ruby no and she didn't listen, so my sister went up behind her and told her no and Ruby jumped as if she didn't hear my sister.

We thought it was just because she wasn't used to the place or something but then later in the day my sister went in there and she didn't hear my sister come into the room or wake up from her nap and my sister said she started to pet her and she was startled a bit. So we are thinking she is deaf, she doesn't look up at my sister when my sister trys to talk to her.

Ruby is spayed, FIV/FELV combo tested negative.

She will need someone that will take excellent care of her. I asked the rescue organization and foster mom if they noticed she was deaf and this is what they said:

"Nikki is usually very good about picking things up, but never noticed. When I told her that's what you are thinking, she said that would explain a lot. I just don't know how no one would pick up on that over a year's time. I guess stranger things have happened. "

If anyone is interested in her or knows of a good place that can take her please let me know. Btw she does look a little rough in these photos but my sister is feeding her well now so she should gain some weight, the rescue told us she lost some weight and they thought it was stress related b/c of all the cats Nikki had in her house but all honestly, I don't think Ruby was given the proper care like she is now.

The first 2 photos that are sorta tanish are from April 2010, I figured they showed how sweet she looks and the other 2 are from my sister's place.

Thanks,
    Melissa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruby.bmp 
Views:	78 
Size:	727.4 KB 
ID:	47599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruby 2.bmp 
Views:	79 
Size:	704.0 KB 
ID:	47600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruby 5.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	47601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruby.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	47602  

God Bless You again Melissa for caring
    I wish I could help , but I ahve my eye on a Little Tabby and White Shy Kitten;
    We are praying that your Dear Little Stray can find her place in the sun.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thank you again Melissa. It's hard some times to pick up on a deaf cat. Lenny is deaf and for the most part you would never know. He is the BEST fridge alarm I have ever seen. I don't know if he feels the vibration of the door opening or what.
    She is a beautiful girl
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    GILL & Crew;

Melissa, I rescued a kitten that both I and the new cat dad thought was deaf. My vet was out of town so I took her to another vet that a friend recommended. She was awful and I will never go to her again. The kitten didn't respond to our voices or to loud noises, whistles, etc. It turns out she had such bad ear mites that it was causing hearing impairment and the vet either didn't notice or neglected to tell me. It took a while to get rid of them but now she can hear just fine. My Creamsicle is deaf, too, but she feels vibrations, especially the garage door going up and down so a deaf cat can get along just fine as long as it remains indoors, of course. Good luck w/finding her a home. Poor little thing deserves security and love. I'm thinking that she might not have gotten much of either in her last home.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Melissa, I rescued a kitten that both I and the new cat dad thought was deaf. My vet was out of town so I took her to another vet that a friend recommended. She was awful and I will never go to her again. The kitten didn't respond to our voices or to loud noises, whistles, etc. It turns out she had such bad ear mites that it was causing hearing impairment and the vet either didn't notice or neglected to tell me. It took a while to get rid of them but now she can hear just fine. My Creamsicle is deaf, too, but she feels vibrations, especially the garage door going up and down so a deaf cat can get along just fine as long as it remains indoors, of course. Good luck w/finding her a home. Poor little thing deserves security and love. I'm thinking that she might not have gotten much of either in her last home.
    I will check with my sister and see, I know she said her ears were dirty and she was going to give her a day or two to rest and then try to clean them out, I'll check with her.

Thanks!
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Anikaca77 View Post
    I will check with my sister and see, I know she said her ears were dirty and she was going to give her a day or two to rest and then try to clean them out, I'll check with her.

Thanks!
    Melissa
    A vet will have to check her out. He'll use that special scope b/c they could be so far in there that your sister wouldn't be able to see them.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I saw Ruby 2 weekends ago and I walked into my sister's house and the door shut behind and Ruby never moved. Poor girl I had to go up to her and look at her and finally she noticed me.

She is so sweet. My sister will be taking her to the vets soon. She continues to clean out her ears but there isn't much in them now. I checked them out and they looked pretty good, I know vets have that scope thing but I'm really thinking she is deaf.

My sister ran the vaccum cleaner right next to her and nothing. She never moved.

If you all could please cross post that we are looking for a forever home for her we'd appreciate it.

Thank you,
    Melissa
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What a beautiful girl she is!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

My Oliver was born deaf and doesn't hear a thing, but will respond to hand signals (he is WAY to smart for his own good) and vibrations through the floor. The only thing I have to be careful of is that he NEVER goes outside.

My Franklin is not deaf but I have taught him several tricks where I use words and hand signs. Funny thing is, he will do his "routine" with just hand signs but won't do a thing with just the word commands. The point I'm trying to make is kitties can learn and adapt really well to hand signs.....
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

I will have to let my sister know. We are still trying to find her a forever home. I'm hoping soon we will get one for her.