Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: At the End of My Rope

The vet just put my sweet boy on steroids. I've given him the prescribed dosage for 2 days. The first day his diarrhea was not as frequent and he seemed happy and was active but last night he went a lot and today he's not active at all. I cut out all canned food and am giving him boiled breast of chicken and Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken dry which is lamb and chicken which is a recommended food from his allergy panel. I've had all the stool test done and they come back negative.

How is your boy doing today?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

He has been on the steroids for a week. The diarrhea has changed in consistency, not as runny, and not as frequent. I thought he went over 3 stacked baby gates and deposited a couple piles in the living room but he found a hole in the bottom one that I did not notice. So that's fixed. I have noticed that he appears to be feeling better and he is one "bad boy". Smart and into everything. I would find that amusing if I wasn't so worried about his diarrhea. The vet said there's about a 50/50 chance we can help him. He is a sweet boy but I find it very difficult living like this. He has another week on the steroids . . . say a little prayer for him.

Will do!
    I've Been Frosted

Prayers and healing energies for him and you too.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I hope he'll continue to improve. I know how frustrating this can be. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Here's the latest on my boy. Wednesday of this week I decide to put him on a diet of white rice and boiled brest of chix. Nothing else. Well he hasn't had diarrhea since late Wednesday night. In fact he has had any type of bowel movement since late Wednesday night. He is not fond of the rice and usuallty leaves it in his bowl, so he has been eating boiled breast of chix for almost 3 days. Now, should I be concerned about no bowel movement?

Try adding some canned pumpkin in, and see if "poop happens!"
    I've Been Frosted

I'm not sure what the frequency should be, but I would think he would have gone by now. He's not going elsewhere and hiding it? It could be his body is adjusting with the change in diet.

Praying he feels better soon.

Nothing has happened yet. I'm so paranoid about this I'm checking for piles where it is impossible for him to get to. If nothing happens by tomorrow I'll check with the vet.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I know first hand how frustrating it is. And each cat will be different. For our Jasper, the answer was finding the food that kept the diarrhea in check along with a daily dose of prednisone.

Have you tried putting a litter box or two in the room where he seems to be leaving the piles, to see if he'll go in THEM instead? Maybe right on one or more of the spots where he has done it?
    Rest in Peace, dear Oreo: April 20, 1997-July 18, 2011
    :Rest in Peace, beautiful Sandi: March 18, 1994-January 23, 2010

::
    Rest in Peace, sweet Angel: July 1, 2001-May 14, 2009

Deb

The chix and rice has stopped the diarrhea and in the past week he has had 2 normal stools. These are the first normal stools he has ever had since I rescued him back in February. He seems to be a lot happier and is purring more and is more affectionate. I guess for my sweet boy it will be chix and rice from now on.

Glad to hear he's fine now! Prayers that the little sweetie stays fine! I didn't see this thread earlier so, i couldn't post..

Hugs and kisses for the little sweetheart!

Oh, that's wonderful to know that he is doing so much better and a good diet has been worked out! Keep on keeping on, and all the best to you both. Good-appetite vibes and healing energies are being sent your way.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery