Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dewey..the Small-Town Library Cat who...

Dewey..the Small-Town Library Cat who...

I just finished reading Dewey: the Small-Town Library Cat who Touched the World by Vicki Myron. He was an abandoned kitten who the librarian of a small town in Iowa found in the library drop box one cold morning in 1988 It was such a great book and such a wonderful ending; albeit very sad. It brought back memories of the kitties I have had to say good-bye to in my lifetime especially my precious Trey who died in 2007 at the age of 17. I will always miss her and our years together.

If you haven't read this book I guarantee you'll love it. It is Dewey's story and how he changed lives from his place in a small town library; but is really all about love..between people and animals. I just learned that they are planning a movie adaptation of the book and that Meryl Streep will play the town librarian who considered Dewey her magical companion and friend for nineteen years. Now that should be wonderful!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.

Yes its A Very Great Story.. I did not read the book = But saw it on CBS Sunday Morning Bio Show..

Sorry about the loss of your baby Trey.. I will bet Trey is playing hard at RB.. RIP wittle one..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I have two others yet..but there was only one like Trey. They are all so unique, aren't they? Saying good bye is always hard to do. Yes, on the other side of the bridge the beloved kitties I have outlived wait for me. I trust in that.

Here's a good quote by the author, Vicki Myron, from "Dewey: the Library Cat who....which I found so comforting and true.

She writes at the end of the story: When Dewey was hurt, cold, and crying I was there (Here she refers to his arrival as a kitten one cold morning in the library drop box where she found him) I held him. I made sure everything was all right.

But that is only a sliver of the truth. The real truth is that for all those years(19) on the hard days, the good days, and all the unremembered days that make up the pages of the real book of our lives, Dewey was holding me. He is still holding me now. So thank you, Dewey, Thank you. Wherever you are.
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.

So very true.. Each baby is so differant.. For sure we will all meet in Heaven some day with our Beloved Babies..

Congrats to PT & enjoy all the talks & pics..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Wasn't that a simply WONDERFUL book??!! My daughter in law gave it to me for Christmas and I don't know when I enjoyed a book like I did that one.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Dewey the small town library cat..

That was a terrrific book. Found it in my tiny town library and asked the librarian there who is also a cat lover and owner of 4 cats, why she didn't have one there in HER library. Alas... politics... too many people having to make the decision ( like in the book) and not worth the trouble... too bad, because everyone including the cat would benefit.

Some years back the little town where we lived had a small library and they also had there own library cat. They called her Marian after Marian the Librarian from the Music Man musical. I liked going to the library and one of the reasons was because I always got to spend a moment with Marian.

I loved reading that book too!! If they make a film of this, I surely want to see it!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I've not read the book but I'd love to see the film, especially if Meryl Streep plays the lead. RIP, Dewey. You surely must have been the most wonderful companion and so now deserve your place in the sun at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I loved the book!

I wonder where on Earth they will find a Cat to play Dewey, as those are going to be tough paws to fill.
    I guess they will need several Orangies for the various stages of Deweys life.
    And I bet Trey and Dewey are Good Friends and they and Moose the Magnifi Cat and All Of Our Animal Angels are having a Great Time on Lanai Hawaii, at the Lanai Luau!
    Will Max the Food Cat LOVE that!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I adored that book. My Butter is no Dewey, but he is special to me, as Dewey was to his "mom". He certainly was a special kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    I wonder where on Earth they will find a Cat to play Dewey, as those are going to be tough paws to fill.
    I guess they will need several Orangies for the various stages of Deweys life.
    Yes, I thought of that right away too and also think they will have to use several cats to "play" Dewey just as they used 22 dogs, I think, to make "Marley and Me". In both stories the animals age considerably so they will have to use a kitten, an older kitten, a young adult, an adult, an older adult, and an elderly cat for this challenging part. It will take expert cat trainers as well; but the camera can do so much. Meryl Streep can do just about anything and make herself convincing in any part. I think she will take on the part of the librarian, Dewey's mom, in her usual excellent and convincing manner and there will only be one of her. LOL.

Ok, I'm a whimp. I got the book for Christmas but can't bear to read it. After losing Luke in October and with Leonardo the same age the cat in the book was when he died, I just can't take it. I know I'm a baby.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    Ok, I'm a whimp. I got the book for Christmas but can't bear to read it. After losing Luke in October and with Leonardo the same age the cat in the book was when he died, I just can't take it. I know I'm a baby.
    I put off reading the last chapter for quite a while, and, yes, it was sad, but it was also very worthwhile and inspiring to see how the librarian handled it. The whole book is worth a read despite the sad ending. Dewey lived such a wonderful and full life and there are parts where I just laughed and laughed.

As we get older we do outlive our pets. I have lost some that lived 17 years and others sooner. I will have a tough time saying good bye to the ones I have now if I outlive them. It was so wonderful to have such precious little creatures share my life for so long. But we enjoy the moments. Every moment with them matters.