Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major LIFE CHANGES making life a mess UPDATED #19

Major LIFE CHANGES making life a mess UPDATED #19

So... last year 168 teachers were laid off. That meant that many of us were moved around helter skelter against our wills, to fill positions that were vacated. My position was changed 4 xs within 1 month. I went from teaching middles school, to teaching two middle schools, to teaching two upper class elementary schools, to teaching 2 lower class elementary schools (one right outside of the projects). I think the thing that is causing the most anxiety is the fact that I was moved from middle to elementary school without my consent. I know it's better than having no job.... I just am not transitioning well.

Well, to make matters worse, I am now getting severe migraines that are going along with my stress and anxiety. I'm on Topamax daily to try to calm down the migraines, but that has to build up in my system. I also have Maxalt to take, as Sumavel dose pro. They work well, but not fast enough to get me to school on time, and they are not handling the symptoms that are coming along with the migraines, the not being able to handle light, moving fast, throwing up, thinking clearly. I have a follow up with my neuro doc in a month, and I'm hoping that things are better by then, but for now, things are just horrible.

I need to be able to make it to work. I don't want to run out of sick days again like last year. That was horrible and cut into my finances so badly I had a hard time making my mortgage and car payment... I'm still playing catch up with them!!!

To make matters worse, my boyfriend gets angry with ME when I get a migraine and will avoid me when I get them. He'll spend the night at the cabin in Sunny Rest and just not talk to me. Or stay down here and not talk to me as punishment or give me a lecture about finances and all these things I already know and feel horrible about. I feel bad enough already, I just don't know what to do any more.
    Last edited by jennielynn1970; 12-11-2011 at 04:32 AM.

A new or different boyfriend?

Sorry to hear about your stressed out life. Any chance of changing school districts or working at a private school?

And what about that boyfriend? Wow. I would trade him in for a new model! What's with that? He seems to be part of the problem and not helping resolve the problem.

One thing at a time. Once your job situation settles down, I would consider a heart to heart with what's his name and decided if he should stay or go.

Does your school have a union? If so, what do they say about all this job switching etc?

Hope you feel better soon and things begin to settle down for you.

Fortunately, I've never had a migraine, but I sure understand they can be debilitating. I saw this on TV recently. Could/would something like that maybe work for you?

As far as the boyfriend - I'd show him the door.

Luckily I do not get migraines too often. But I know how they feel.

And my sister went through the same thing with her boyfriend when she was missing work because she was sick. Just let him be. It's better if he leaves you alone anyway. You don't want to have to yell or smack him when you are in pain anyway, right? And when you get better if he hasn't changed then.......see ya!! I know it's easier said than done.

I just hope you are back to your normal self soon. And I use the term "normal" lightly.

HUGS!!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I wish your boyfriend was being more understanding and I hope you feel better soon.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

This whole situation stinks. It doesn't sound right that your employer can move you around like that but I don't really know much about how the school system works.

The migraines are the worst thing ever. I used to get them when I was younger. I would need complete silence and darkness in order to get over them. My husband, now ex, didn't understand either. It was always an inconvenience to him when I couldn't take care of the kids and/or him. As far as the boyfriend goes, let him go. You should be able to relax more and rest if he isn't there, correct? Men just don't get it.

Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    Sorry to hear about your stressed out life. Any chance of changing school districts or working at a private school?
    All the districts in the area are in the same shape as ours. PA is in sad shape educationally because of cuts that Tom Corbett has made to our schools.

And what about that boyfriend? Wow. I would trade him in for a new model! What's with that? He seems to be part of the problem and not helping resolve the problem.
    I hate to even tell him when I have a migraine. "Did you go to school?? Are you telling me the truth?" He threatens to leave me and just be by himself. He says he doesn't want to end up in an economically disadvantaged relationship, and with someone who is just going to let her life disintegrate around herself because of medical problems. I'm sorry I have medical problems that are more than I can handle at the moment. Between migraines and stress and anxiety, I'm a wreck.

One thing at a time. Once your job situation settles down, I would consider a heart to heart with what's his name and decided if he should stay or go.
    Sounds like a plan. We've had so many heart to hearts through, and I just feel like he wants to run when ever I have a bad day. I never run out when he had a bad day. If anything I ask what I can do to make things better.

Does your school have a union? If so, what do they say about all this job switching etc?
    At this point, they'll just tell me be glad I have a job. 168 members lost theirs. I'm lucky. I still have mine. I just need to be able to get my migraines under control, not take a medical leave (that would be disastrous to my record at the moment), and get things leveled out. I just wish I knew how to do this all quickly!!!

Hope you feel better soon and things begin to settle down for you.
    Thank you!!!

Oh, Jenn, I am so sorry you are going through such a hard, stressful time. My cats are all sending you purrs and headbumpies of comfort, and I'm sending you great big {{{{{{{{{{{HUGGGGGS}}}}}}}}}}}. We all wish we could deliver these in person or in purrrson!

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and ,

Pat, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, Bob, Sparkler, Lavinia, and Princess Poppaea Sabina Eugenia
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

You'll be in our prayers. I love elementary-school kids, they can be so much more open to ideas and good books than middle school, when they are trying so hard to be like the teenagers they see! I will pray that your migraines go away, and if it causes you less stress, stop thinking of you-know-who as your boyfriend, think of him some guy you know, so you don't have to care so much what he thinks, okay?

One good stress-reducer I have taught a few people - take a clean piece of paper and a pen or pencil - whatever you have handy, and makes you feel better. Start a list at the top of the pages of all the things you hate. Your can start with migraines, mine usually started with canned peas. You can put silly things - like finding cat vomit with your bare foot, and go on to more complex or maddening things as you go on. Usually by the end of the list I felt better, but there's also a chance to either crumple it up afterwards (always satisfying) and toss it for the cats to play with (hee hee Suzie cat is carrying off my migraines!) or light a candle and burn it, watching all those hated things go up in smoke!
    I've Been Frosted

You know I've had chronic migraines (definition of chronic migraines is 15+ days per month) for over 9 years. It took quite a few years before my hubby realized I wasn't just being lazy and sitting on my butt.

What Dave needs to understand is this is a medical condition, and is in no way shape or form something that you have caused. I understand you don't want to be alone, but sweetie, you are better being alone than being with a man who treats you as an inferior because of a medical condition that you have no control over.

Have you tried massages? I know they're expensive, but maybe a massage every other week would help balance the missing pay... I know several people who've had good luck with going to a chiropractor. None of these things help ME, but they work for some people.

You can always pm me here or on facebook. I've got my cell # on facebook too, if you ever need to just complain to someone who's not only been there, but lives there, with the migraines. ((hugs)) to you, but little ones, because I know!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I know this will sound trite. But you just have to learn to let it go. It is just a job. And yes I understand pressure from work, but I have learned that it is just a job. I have family, friends, children, fur and human and lots of fun to have. I refuse to let the job make me nuts.
    Go in, do your best and leave it behind.. Much harder said then done, it takes practice but it comes easier with time.
    Try to have someting to look forward to when work is done, EVERYNIGHT.
    Makes a world of difference.
    Best of luck.
    Oh and if your boyfriend is being a %ick about your headache, time to get a new man who treats you better.

Good one, Marigold:
    time to get a new man who treats you better.
    Even alone - you'll treat yourself way better than he does.

HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    Or stay down here and not talk to me as punishment .
    This is pretty immature.

Can you wake earlier to take the meds, just so they are effective for you to make it to school on time?

Praying for you here in RI.

Wow. I hope things get better - As for your boyfriend - What is he thinking? If Mike treated me like the way he treats you - I would've called it off, he needs to be compassionate about that sort of thing.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I'm sorry that school is crappy this year. I know about the stress of teaching.

Hope things improve.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)