Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found 7 stray puppies

Found 7 stray puppies

Friday I was driving by the local dumpsters and what did I see? 7 little male puppies. Now I know these are not lost puppies. People around here are ALWAYS dropping off puppies they don't want, like they are trash. They were really skinny and look to be about 6 weeks old. When I fed them they acted like they were used to having to fight each other for their food, like they had never had enough for all of them. That made me really sad. And they were so filthy that when I bathed them I had to shampoo them twice just to get all the dirt off. I had just planned on taking them home, keeping them overnight, and taking them to a shelter the next morning. But the shelter may not have any room for them. The lady told me that I could have them put to sleep but I just couldn't do that, they're just babies. I'm supposed to hear back from them tomorrow or Tuesday to see if they have any room. Buying food for them AND our dogs is expensive and I don't know how long I can do it for, so maybe if they don't have room I can foster them and they can help with the food. I posted a link to pictures of them. I know that they have Red Tick in them since a couple of them look just like Red Tick dogs, but I just can't put a name to the other breed(s) that is in them. Any ideas?

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...ceef1bb&type=1

No clue what they may be, but bless you for taking them in when they would have fared so poorly without you. You are an angel for sure.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Beagle and shepherd would be my guess, they are just a bit fuzzier than either a Red Tick or a Beagle, but they could be all three!

They are beautiful, thanks so much for saving them! I hope they are able to find homes!
    I've Been Frosted

What beautiful puppies! It's so sad that someone dumped them . I'm glad you found them and took them in. I hope things work out for the little guys.

I agree with Karen, they look like they might have some beagle in them.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

It's hard to tell at this age, they look like coonhound mixes to me. Super cute, thanks for helping them! It's a good idea to get them fixed before they go to their new homes or have a rescue help you place them and help fix them.

ETA: see if there is a hound rescue in your area and see if they can place them. They may have people on a waiting list wanting a hound that is a puppy.
    Last edited by luvofallhorses; 09-04-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

They're all so adorable and thanks for taking them in. I hope that you'll be able to find them all the loving caring forever homes that they deserve. Good luck.

My best guess would be cattle dog/beagle perhaps. But they could have more than 2 breeds in the mix certainly. They are cuties and I hope they receive wonderful homes.

Here's a picture of a red cattle dog pup.

http://pics.hoobly.com/full/1LUK29V14RZC3ZP2D2.jpg

They can also have more than one father.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

A lot of people have Red Tick dogs around here so I think that is most likely as one of the breeds. Also Max looks and feels a lot like a smooth collie, although you can't really tell that from the picture. I could hardly keep them still long enough to get any good pics of them. Hmmm...beagle maybe, probably some hound. Heinz 57?

Well Red tick is a coonhound.. I don't see beagle personally and beagles usually aren't red tick they are more solid colors... They look like coonhound
    (they are bigger hounds.. than beagles..) mixes to me. My coonhound was that small at 7 weeks and he certainly isn't a beagle as I knew what his parents were all coonhound.

Whatever they are, they're sure cute! Bless you for helping them.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

THANK YOU for stopping, for picking them up, and taking them in. BLESS you!

Look at those sweet babies. Prayers that they are now on a path to loving homes. I am sure a local rescue could help! Puppies are usually easy to place, so don't take up foster home slots for too long.

Good luck with placing them! They are gorgeous!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Seven!

It is so sweet of you to take care of these pups. I become so angry with people who do not spay and neuter their dogs/cats and let everyone else take care of the problem once the animals reproduce. SO STUPID!

My concern after the initial happiness of seeing their photos, was the expense of feeding and vetting them. I would try to find a rescue as soon as possible. They probably have not been given shots etc. - probably have worms etc. and could be expensive to vet at this point. A rescue could do this so much more cheaply than you could. Then there is the neutering etc.

The pupsters are so darn cute. I wish I lived closer. The doggie day care, where I take Prue, my dog, takes puppies from crowded rescues and finds good homes for them. The puppies they take, have had all their shots and are fixed before the come to the daycare. Many of them are adopted by families that already bring a dog to the daycare!

If these seven don't get fixed and live several years and reproduce, just think of the number of unwanted pets there will be. I think that is one of the reasons the rescues put down so many unwanted dogs/cats. UNWANTED IS THE CLUE HERE.

I have NEVER had a cat or dog reproduce under my ownership. I did have one cat that was not spayed until she was three. She was an inside cat and I was stupid (age 20) .... but then gave in to the idea of having her spayed. Once my mind kicked in, I made a decision to have all my pets spayed and neutered from that point on.

SPAY AND NEUTER, FOLKS. MAYBE WE SHOULD DO THE SAME TO THE STUPID PEOPLE WHO DO NOT SPAY AND NEUTER THEIR PETS. SORRY. I GET SO ANGRY BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY UNWANTED PETS.

I love animals so and feel so sorry for the ones not living the life they deserve. Many do, but oh too many, do not.

Amen.
    Last edited by sasvermont; 09-05-2011 at 03:36 PM.

I agree they need to be neutered and have their shots. Which is why I am hoping that the shelter I called has a foster program. They are supposed to call today or tomorrow so I'll ask. I'd be happy to keep them here until they find homes, it's just that I can't afford all the things that go with them. Especially since I have two 5 month old pups that I am getting spayed and neutered pretty soon. I just could not leave them at the dumpsters. I have a little money right now put back that will take care of shots, wormer, and food for a little while. But it's not going to last forever. I'll update everyone after I talk to the shelter.

I would also make sure the people who adopt these pups research hounds and not adopt them just because they are cute.. they are not for everyone and end up back in the shelter system because they start acting like a hound and people aren't prepared. So I would require experience and or research because they look like they have a lot of hound in them more than anything.. maybe lab/coonhound. Best of luck.