Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grocery shopping

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Grocery shopping

How often do you go? As much as I hate this task, I keep it to a bare minimum - I go once a month and get it over with in one shot. It might seem like I'm spending a lot, but I actually save money this way. Occasionally I might have to go to pick up an item I run out of or forgot, or if there is a super sale on an item I want or need, but I don't buy anything else except what I make that extra trip for. My DIL is at the store at least 5 time each week. I just can't convince her that by planning ahead and going less and buying bigger containers of items, that she will pay less per unit price, will not have to buy those items as often, and will not buy those extra things she sees that she didn't really go for in the first place. And not to mention the gas she will save in her gas guzzling SUV by going less..........
    Do you go often, or do you do one or two big trips per month?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Right now, once per week for frozen stuff. I buy ahead when I open the last container of some things like detergent. No fun running out of tissue.

I shop sales too and try to arrange my sprees to maximize my time and money.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Once a week. I try to only take the car out 3 days per week -- trips to Bridgham Farm don't count! LOL

With Dad, I could never go once a month. He eats everything while I am out walking the pups - he's always been this way, cares less he has diabetes. If I buy a bag of apples, he'll eat 3 while I am out! Up goes his blood glucose level. Sigh.

Once a month for meat and other staples... We go to BJs for that stuff. Then once a week or so for pop, produce and things Hannah might need.

I need to get some venison in the freezer early this year. Then I'd have an excuse for a bigger chest freezer. LOL It would be nice to make the trip to BJs a bi-monthly thing, but I need more freezer space for that.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

I go whenever I feel like it. Once, twice a week, even daily sometimes.
    The supermarket is about a mile away.....and there's never much traffic here where I live....10 cars on the road at once is peak hour.

"I'm Back !!"

It depends. But we usually make several trips a week. We have one big shopping trip, but then we go back once a week usually for anything else we decide we want or that we've forgotten.

Then again, we're within 3-4 miles (if even that much) of 4 grocery stores and a WalMart.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Once or twice a week. There's no way produce will stay fresh for a month.

I always make detailed lists, covering the menus for the week. Our store is close, and I get great mileage, so don't worry about that aspect. We do shop at CostCo for detergents, Kleenex and the like. We go there about every 4 months.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Once or twice a week. There's no way produce will stay fresh for a month.
    The only thing I can't buy for the month is milk and produce, but my DIL is at the store so often, she picks them up.

All my once a month shopping is done and Walmart and Sam's. I did make an unscheduled trip to the local Food Lion yesterday for one of their super sales - Breyers ice cream at $1.99 - regular $6.49. I bought 8 half gallons and my DIL bought 4. Of course I couldn't do that without the big freezer in the garage. We're BIG ice cream eaters here, so I always stock up when they have one of these sales.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I do one large order every month and buy only what I put on my list. Mostly stock up on meats and a few other staples I might need. Hubby is always going to the mall ( 15 minutes away ) so he picks up fresh produce as we need it or stuff that I spot is on sale for a huge difference in price. I don't like ovestocking my cupboards, makes it too tedious to clean when I have to haul out a bunch of stuff I "forgot" I had...such a waste.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

A couple times a week, for small stuff and produce, one a week for a "big shop," but I am only 1 mile from the grocery store and pass one wherever I am going, so it's not a big deal. I do combine trips/errands to save time and gas, though.
    I've Been Frosted

Once a week. My boyfriend is not a stocker. If something sits in the cabinet too long he claims it's "too old". We pretty much get the same things EVERY week. If the meat is on sale (buy one get one free) we will of course get the free one. We do not have a lot of freezer space. Plus I have to get a bag of carrots for the dogs each week.
    I work right across the street from Costco so my co-worker and I sometimes make a trip at lunch to get a few items....and a cheap hot dog for lunch.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I do a big trip to costco once a week and then go to the local grocery store for whatever I forget or costco doesn't have. I am making lasagna today and already realized I forgot to buy onions.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

We usually go a few times a week. My daughter eats a lot of fresh fruit and I don't like to buy too much produce at once because it spoils quickly. There's a grocery store less than a mile from our house that we can go to if we need something fast, and plenty of places to stop on the way home from work. It's really hard to make long trips to the store with a 2.5 year old, so a few quick trips works out better for us.

Once a week. We always run out of something important by the end of the week like paper towels. If we had more freezer space Costco would be more cost efficient.
    The pups

The Kitty Krew

"Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." - Dean Koontz, False Memory

I also hate grocery shopping so I try to go only 2 times a month. I do buy a lot at once. If I run out of things like bread or produce then I'll go shopping for just a few items. I buy a lot of frozen food so it does last a while. I don't cook so most of my meals have to be microwavable.