Thread: Meow

Meow

My little kitty is now 11 weeks and still cannot meow. A little noise comes out and that is it. Will Bentley ever meow? Or is this the only sound he will ever make?

Some cats always have a small meow. We had a stray cat once that was that way, He'd open his mouth but nothing came out at all. We thought he'd never learn to meow, as his best buddy was our Saint Bernard, but sure enough, one day toward the end of that summer (he was stolen before fall) he opened his mouth and a noise came out. It took us a while to figure out what it was - he was making the sound that the cellar door's squeak made!
    I've Been Frosted

Fred, my cat nephew, has a squeak-chirp, barely audible. Emily produces an "Ack" with a few n's in it.

Spunky has a plaintive cry when he doesn't like something, Sam growls, Jane Trills, and I've yet to hear Bob say anything.

To each his own meow.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

It does sound like an "Ack" with a few n's in it. It is such a funny sound! My other cats meowed from day one. Bentley is growing quickly and keeps me laughing and this meow he makes is also so funny!

My Tubster Panther hardly MEEOWS at all.
    Scrappy Two's MEEOW is sort of hoarse now that she is older.
    But Josephine Spunkette will make up for both as she MEEOWS like Juke Joint Joseph and PURRRS LIKE MY Moose the MagnfiCat
    Its MY BED!!!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

After 11 weeks the meow can change- some kitties become really talkative later

Kimba just squeaks, and it is not a loud squeak. I think it's cute!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

It isn't my intention to scare you but has your vet checked your kitty's throat? My Yodie didn't meow either when I first rescued her. Turns out she had an ear polyp that grew down into her throat. She could barely swallow let alone meow. Of course there's always the possibility that your kitty just has that type of meow, nothing more than a little squeak, and that's ok b/c it's what makes him different. However, just to be safe, you might have your vet look inside his mouth, throat and ears just as a precaution.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I think I prefer quiet cats. My newest additions Alani and Blaze rarely meow. Alani will do what I call the silent meow. You can see his mouth open up like he's meowing but it's so faint that you can't hear it. If he's upset though, he will meow much louder. Blaze usually chirps and squeaks which is so cute to hear.

Ziggy Stardust has a meow like a tiny baby kitten. It's so funny to hear such a little voice come out of a big 14lb adult cat. Sky has a cute raspy meow. Storm used to be very quiet but now he's found his voice. It's kind of a hoarse sounding meow like he's losing his voice. Pearl being a Siamese mix has the loudest voice of all and she's the smallest of my cats.