Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene: is this lady NUTS?!

I'm hoping that Irene will be like Earl as far as a storm that turned out not as bad as anticipated. But I heard on the news that there are storm warnings and evacuations from North Carolina up to New Jersey. The Governor of North Carolina said to plan for the worst and pray for the best, so I'm praying for the best. I'm glad that the technology allows people to get loads of warning beforehand.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    The governor here in Delaware has already declared a state of emergency, and this is done so that they may order mandatory evacuation in the most susceptible areas, such as right along the shore. This requires anyone who doesn't live there to leave, and strongly advises those that reside there to evacuate too, tho they can't make them go. However if they decide to stay, then they are pretty much on their own and probably won't be able to get help if they should need it. It also keeps the the thrill seekers and gawkers out of the area too, since they aren't allowed in, and there are roadblocks up all over.

So we're ready here for what Irene might dish out. Plenty of food that doesn't have to be cooked, plenty of water, juice and sodas, and of course ample dog and cat food! The house is all electric, but we could cook on the gas grill if necessary when the storm blows thru. We don't have a generator, so no way to get the pump running for the well - but we'll manage. The deep freeze in the garage has extra bags of ice and will keep cold for a long time as long as it isn't opened unnecessarily. The hurricane oil lamps are down and cleaned and we have plenty of lamp oil, and lots of flashlights. Most things outside have been secured, and we'll finish it up tonight. Now what we have to hope for, is that the tall pines along the property line that belong to our neighbor, don't come down on the garage - way too many expensive items in there - especially the Harley and lawn tractor. Those darn trees creek and groan and snap branches off, even on a moderately windy day. If the worst should happen, I hope he has good insurance or a big bank account!

Just about every time we prepare for a storm, it turns out that we didn't even need to. Sure hoping that's the case this time. We shall see!!!!
    Last edited by pomtzu; 08-26-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Ellie - have you got lots of pails - fill them up for flushing the toilet.

Get a generator for the next time. We have one - doesn't run the entire house, but we can have heat/AC, fridge, some lights, hot water and most important - the well will work
    We have 3 full baths here, and always fill one bathtub up for general use such as this. Shoot - as often as we'd have the need for a generator, it would get rusty just sitting in the garage.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I also agree with Pomtzu - the last hurricane (Isabell... aka Is-a-Bitc*) took down a HUGE oak tree in my front yard distroying 2 autos and all the power/cable/phone lines. Over reacting? I don't think so. I just hope I don't have to rename this one Is-Mean If you are along the coast even a strong Nor' Eastern can create serious damage.

Laurie
    ~ at least I'm not...

Quote Originally Posted by Lillycat View Post
    i have only been through one hurricane, tho it was a bad one.....not that there are any good ones.....i am really worried about Cape May tho on a personal level and for all on the east coast overall.....prayers in order.....
    Hi Lillycat, Yesterday Gov. Christie issued an evacuation order that included Cape May, our southern counties and all the barrier islands along the New Jersey coast. Christie made an announcement saying everyone must evacuate and if anyone had plans to go down the shore this weekend DON'T! On this morning's news it looks like full compliance. Christie did tell vacationers and tourists not to stay. Effective 8:00 this morning tolls were lifted on the Atlantic City Expressway & the Garden State Parkway to make the exodus go smoother. Evacuation routes are very well marked and last I heard things are going quite well.

August has gone down as the wettest month on record here in New Jersey. Since the ground is so wet, there's no place for any more water to go. With the ground being so soft there's a major concern about the hurricane causing a whole lot of trees to come down because the roots aren't anchored as well as they would be in drier conditions.

Lillycat, if you would like to know how Cape May is getting through the storm, pm me and I'll keep you as up to date as I can.

To all PT friends and pets - be safe
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Oh woe is me!!! School was due to start in this district on Monday, and now they have delayed it till Wednesday because of the potential damage that Irene could bring. I dearly love my grandson, but after a summer full of his 15 year old attitude, Grammy's ready for a break. He's a good kid, but knows how to push my buttons, at times............
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Please take this storm seriously if you live on the east coast. Mother Nature is very unpredictable. Yes, Irene may turn out to sea at the last minute, but she also might hook inward & sweep right over all the states on the east coast. Please be careful & try to be as prepared as you can be. It's supposed to hit my area (Delaware) saturday night into sunday afternoon. My dad sent my sister & I to West Virginia to stay with our grandmother for the weekend. We'll probably just get a little thunderstorm here, but I'm worried about all the people back home. The flooding is gonna be bad. They already evacuated most of sussex county & most of the beaches. I heard something about them evacuating Delaware City, which is very close to where I live, but I'm not sure if they have yet or not. Please be safe everyone!!! I hope everyone's ok when it's all over.
    -Melanie

Daisy, Maggie, Charlie, Teddy, Honey, Bear, Twinkie, Chester, Osiris, Vizzini, Genevieve, Dimitri, Charlotte, the chickens, Maya, Dragon, & Peaches

"Animals are such agreeable friends; they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." -George Elliot

They canceled work for the weekend. Six Flags isn't even open. I left early today because they were closing my route home (I-95) at 8. It's apparently going to turn into a tropical storm by the time it hits here. My family is as prepped as possible for this. I'm still not convinced it's gonna be as horrid as they are claiming.

......always........when it comes to weather it is better to be safe than sorry.....folks always pray they don't have to use all the precautions they are taking.....my prayers are for the best outcome possible....i, for one, will be glad when it is all over.....

Thanks to PCB!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    For those of us from and currently living in Rhode Island - some shelters from the storm. Info from the ProJo -
    Warwick must think that they're invincible! But then again, they didn't call Vets "The Hurricanes" for nothing.................
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Many prayers for all in the storms path...please be safe.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

RI is now in a state of emergency; a hurricane warning is up; and the local TV is doing round the clock coverage. All low lying, Class A evacuation zones now have mandatory evacuation orders, so folks are packing up and relocating. Three areas must be vacated by 5 PM today, the rest by 10 AM Sunday.

Class A is for Tropical Storms and Cat 1 hurricanes.
    Class B is for hurricanes Cat 2 or higher.

Several nursing homes are now doing scheduled evacuations, well in advance of the storm.

I am not in an evac area.

Outdoors is so bare, it looks like winter, lol. Everyone has put away all the outdoor furniture.

We will be on the right side of the storm, high winds, and rain of 5 to 10 inches on Sunday. (Left side of the storm gets more rain, less wind). We can expect gusts up to 80 MPH, and steady winds over 60 MPH.

Last night I walked Marlin about 9:30, the sky was so clear! This morning we have heavy cloud cover and it is slowly getting denser. We are definitely in "the calm before the storm," not a leaf is twitching, all the birds are silent except for 3 raucous crows.

Surfers have come some distance to enjoy the conditions! Beaches will close later today.

We have a high tide tomorrow at 7:45 AM and 8 PM. That 8 PM one is the high monthly tide. We've been told to expect a good 12 feet of additional water. Area reservoirs have been lowered in anticipation of all the coming rains.

The area colleges had move ins planned for this weekend; all students have been told to stay home and move ins will start Wednesday.

School was to start Monday in several communities, and this too has been postponed until further notice.
    Last edited by Freedom; 08-27-2011 at 08:56 AM.

It started raining and blowing here at around 10 a.m., but nothing major, just the outer bands moving in. We're supposed to get the worst of it overnight tonight and into early tomorrow. I hate it when a big storm hits during the night - you can't see what's coming at you!
    My son didn't take any chances with leaving the Harley in the potentially vulnerable garage, and took it into the Harley dealership in town to store it till the storm passes. That building is a lot safer and secure than our garage. I suggested a couple of days ago that he do this, but he nixed it. Mom was right again....
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Here in Ohio I am pretty removed from the Lady, but my son is in NJ and niece is in CT.
    I JUST WANT ALL OF YOU TO BE SAFE, TAKE HEED, TAKE SHELTER, TAKE FURBABIES WITH YOU AND MAY THIS BE MORE OF A WIMPER THEN A SCREAM WHEN IT FINALLY ARRIVES.