Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My first earthquake........

I live in Richmond, VA and it was scary!!! Crazy...our bldg is right by the train yard and at first we just thought it was a train....We have had several after shocks too, I think the last one was around 8pm. I've only experienced a tiny one before here in VA about 8 yrs ago. This was too big for me!!!!

Nothing in my home fell down and the cats all seemed no worse for the wear. I would've loved to have been able to see if they even noticed it or slept right thru it.

I heard that it was a 5.9 earthquake, & the epicenter was in Mineral, VA, which is about 40 miles from Richmond. They say it was only half a mile deep, & that's why the feeling was so widespread. Last I heard, they said it was felt from Georgia to Massachusetts, although some people in Canada reported feeling it too. I also heard that it reached Philadelphia in 48 seconds. Apparently, the Washington Monument is leaning now...crazy stuff...
    My grandmother lives in Claudville, VA, & she didn't feel anything because she was driving. My other grandmother lives in Capon Bridge, WV, & said she felt the house shaking, & felt like she was in a vaccumn, & her dogs were barking. Luckily, neither of them got hurt, & their houses weren't damaged.
    & then we've got this hurricane coming.... I'm pretty worried about it because I live in Delaware, & they say it's going to come right up the east coast!!! I hope it doesn't cause too much damage!!!
    -Melanie

Daisy, Maggie, Charlie, Teddy, Honey, Bear, Twinkie, Chester, Osiris, Vizzini, Genevieve, Dimitri, Charlotte, the chickens, Maya, Dragon, & Peaches

"Animals are such agreeable friends; they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." -George Elliot

Didn't feel it but a lot of people did in Cleveland, OH - I must've been driving at the time.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Laurie from just outside D.C. checking in. We evacuated ourselves from the small (in comparison to downtown) 6 floor building where I work - and having lived in, and spending much time, in CALIF. I knew right away what it was and could not believe people would evacuate the building then STAND RIGHT NEXT TO IT to stand in the shade They (except for my boss) just looked at me as if I were daft when I told them to move.... I live close enough to walk home and the dogs were still freaked out. Several things fell off the mantle and some shelves but nothing serious. I was more concerned about the underground infrastucture being damaged. i.e. gas lines and water mains but thankfully only a few instances (so far).
    ~ at least I'm not...

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    So this weekend we are forecast to get Hurricane Irene, just to what degree, has yet to be determined. What next - a tornado?????
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Keep an eye in the sky for a plague of locusts Pomzu
    ~ at least I'm not...

So today at work, I mentioned the earthquake. The science had felt it and thought it too small to mention. He admits that at first he thought he was having leg tremors. He checked online and saw it was an earthquake.

The asst principal felt it but didn't say anything because he thought people would think he was crazy. Others felt it too, but many of us (except the science teacher) have never experienced one, so we didn't know what to say.

The admins at 8 of our schools panicked and evacuated the schools. Oops.

Sorry to hear about the Washington Monument. Hopefully they'll figure a way to retrofit it and the National Cathedral.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Glad I live where hurricanes are unheard of (almost). I heard on the news that Atalntic City is getting hunkered down for a hurricane, probably the same one that might hit the rest of the coast. Seems they've evacuated a few towns already just to be on the safe side and people were given notice to stock up on food items and such. That would send chills up my spine. I'm not too brave when I read about the damage done by hurricanes.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I didn't feel anything here in Knoxville :/ I bet if I'd been in Johnson City I might have.

I'm glad no one was seriously injured; however, my mom just informed me that the Lincoln Memorial in D.C. is going to have to be closed indefinitely for repairs due to the earthquake
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I've lived in CA for a long time and it doesn't ever get easier. The worst part is your body shaking even after the quake is over! I was in SF for the 89 quake. I seriously thought that was "The One"
    Stay safe people. It's a crazy world out there. Anything can happen in an instant. Be prepared!

PS I'll take an earthquake over a hurricane anytime!
    Last edited by kitten645; 08-24-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: PS

Reporting from CT, we felt the ground shake. My mom thought the kitchen was collapsing, and at first I thought I was just really dizzy . The counters and the floors moved around.

Never get them up here, but according to the newscasters the soil is so loose her that earthquakes from other states can easily be felt.

Hope you all are safe, and CONTINUE to be safe. The hurricane... erg... had a tornado 10 minutes away in Massechussets, I think last month. I was driving my mother to the doctor during that one. Sky turned yellow and it got really windy. It did a lot of damage, but could've been worse. Every so often it seems nature must show us that we're not really in charge here.
    The pups

The Kitty Krew

"Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." - Dean Koontz, False Memory

Nope, never felt it at all here in Australia. I must have been asleep at that time.

"I'm Back !!"

We had an aftershock this am that woke me up out of a deep sleep and i was so disoriented I initially thought it was a dream. That one was 4.5 mag..I hope this is all over soon....and here comes the hurricane