Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Do These Exist?

Why Do These Exist?

Okay, I know the real reason is, someone in product development is always trying to create the latest "must-have" gadget, to get us to spend our money on and make then rich.

But that some products make it all the way into production baffle me - how about you?

- Pancake molds - so every pancake comes out the perfect shape - doesn't that take all the fun out of making pancakes?

- Those "eggies" things I see informercials for - honestly, I have never had any trouble hard-boiling an egg, or peeling it once it's done, or slicing one. And if I want a flat bottom so it'll stand up, I can just slice off a bit ...

- Another pancake thing - a pancake batter "pen" so you can draw shapes on the griddle. Wouldn't any old squeeze bottle do just fine, or a piping bag, or even a plastic bag with the corner cut off?

What products do you see that mystify you that someone geared up a factory to make?
    I've Been Frosted

The thing that makes me laugh is all these dumb things you see on infomercials that can only be bought through tv. Within a few weeks I see the exact same items in the Rite-Aid around the corner! The one that really cracks me up is that thing you put in a pan or pot while cooking food and it moves around so you don't have to stir! I guess no matter what you come up with SOMEBODY will give you money for it.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I agree with momcat - the stirrer is the utmost piece of junk that I think I've ever seen - and on top of that, I've seen videos where they don't even move because the gravy, or whatever - is too thick!

And the eggies thingy - I think that might be a good idea. Sometimes the eggs just don't want to peel right, and you lose more egg than you save. I've tried every suggestion to get a foolproof easy peel egg, but haven't found one yet. Eggs that look like golf balls when you're done peeling, just don't look too appealing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I don't know, I just shook my head at the egg thing. I had a feeling they wouldn't work so I just Googled it and found a TV station that did a test on them.

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/15235264...dnesday-eggies

They gave it an "F" for failure.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    I don't know, I just shook my head at the egg thing. I had a feeling they wouldn't work so I just Googled it and found a TV station that did a test on them.

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/15235264...dnesday-eggies

They gave it an "F" for failure.
    Oh well - back to the drawing board.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Taking a page from Bloom County, the salad shooter and salad spinner.

WHy do they exist? Remember P.T. Barnum's statement....there's a sucker born every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    And the eggies thingy - I think that might be a good idea. Sometimes the eggs just don't want to peel right, and you lose more egg than you save. I've tried every suggestion to get a foolproof easy peel egg, but haven't found one yet. Eggs that look like golf balls when you're done peeling, just don't look too appealing.
    What do they feed your chicken there that the eggs end up so hard to peel? Do you dump them into ice water right after the boiling water to cool 'em down? (We always have ...) I've just never run into that problem ...
    I've Been Frosted

The amazing thing is that people come into my store asking for this junk all the time. When they ask why we don't carry it, I tell them "Because it's a piece of junk! We only carry proper cooking tools."

I'd love to make pancakes round myself. You get a happy feeling inside, meaning you feel happy when its round and you've done it yourself.
    And the eggies....are a really weird thing...

There is a teabag timer. You hang the teabag on the handle and then set the timer. At that certain time, the teabag is pulled out of the tea. Can't they just do it themselves? Put in teabag and take it out when you want...

Quote Originally Posted by sana View Post
    There is a teabag timer. You hang the teabag on the handle and then set the timer. At that certain time, the teabag is pulled out of the tea. Can't they just do it themselves? Put in teabag and take it out when you want...
    Oh, how funny! I've never seen that one ... That certainly counts as a waste of money!
    I've Been Frosted

I swear, the stupidest thing I've ever heard of is a vibrating pillow. I don't think it ever made it to stores but I believe someone told me they saw a commercial or something about it. It wasn't a massage pillow or anything, it was an actual pillow you sleep on. I don't know about anyone else but I DON'T see how the heck you could sleep with that crap!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

WHy do they exist? Remember P.T. Barnum's statement....there's a sucker born every minute.
    My mom got me a salad spinner one year for Xmas. I believe I used it once and it is.......actually, I have NO clue where it is now. It was too much of a pain to clean, plus it didn't work. I have better luck just sticking my hand in the salad and turning it over. But we make build-your-own salads now.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I know that some of these gadgets exist to do one thing and that is get your credit card Number. Years ago I ordered something from one of the "as seen on TV" type things. Within a month I found that I had been signed up for some service that I did not authorize or want. The credit card statement had their phone number on it so after months of threatening I finally got this service removed. In the mean time I was charged for 3 months of a servive I never authorized or wanted. They said that I had authorized this when ordering my
    As seen of TV thing a ma bob. If you will notice they are not interested in cash or checks, just your credit card. I haven't ordered from TV ads since.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Here's a picture Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

Well, then call me (and my husband) a sucker!! We use the salad spinner every day. We have on in the kitchen and one in the camper. I don't like wet lettuce in my salad. The salad shooter I have no excuse for.

The one I can't understand ANYONE buying? A BANANA SLICER!!?? Have you seen this thing? It's flat, the shape of a banana (sort of) with strings across, so you peel the banana, then place this thing over it to make even slices. REALLY?!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!