Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: So You Think ... SYTYCD 2011

So You Think ... SYTYCD 2011

Just wanted to see if anyone else is watching So You Think You Can Dance this season?

Last night felt like the real beginning of the season, as last week, pretty much everyone got to dance their own genre, so it wasn't much of a challenge for most.

But after last night's show, I really felt the need to comment.

Who the heck gave Mary Murphy the day-glo orange spray tan? It was terrible, and distracting. The color of her dress, blue, is the opposite of orange, so that made it worse!

And it didn't seem like the judges were actually judging the first few dances. Did anyone else find that opening number "sexy?" Ryan's pasted-on smile was way too distracting, and I thought she and Ricky had zero "chemistry." They called her out on the grin last week, so I was surprised they didn't this time!

And while it was fun to see Debbie Reynolds, she seemed to be there only as a fan, didn't offer one ounce of constructive advice or criticism, and while the dancers are all quite talented, it's not like everything was stunningly perfect. Why call her a "guest judge" if she's not gonna judge?

And did the script every "secret" reveal's response to be fir the revealee to say "no you di'nt!"

What did everyone else think?
    I've Been Frosted

I agree with you! I thought the judges didn't really judge too much, especially Debbie. But one thing Nigel did comment on, and I agree, was the Bollywood number. It was not strong at all. Then again, it could be that I don't care for Iveta. She is a professional and 10 time champion, she shouldn't be on this show! And she looks much older than 30, sorry.

I do not have any favorites yet either. I liked Ryan last year and when she didn't make it I was sad. But now..........eh, not so much. I do not see any girls with great personalities, like Jeanine or Mollie. There are plenty of the guys with great personalities. Oh and I'm so glad Robert did not Wooo once last night! That was getting annoying.

I don't believe they drew dance styles from a hat last week. Every single couple got a style that one of them studied or excelled in.

And Cat and Mary still annoy me too. Sigh......... But it won't make me stop watching!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Nothing annoys me more than when Cat rubs the male dancers sweaty heads while they're getting feedback....

Oh...and in case you hadn't noticed that, you will now...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MoonandBean View Post
    Nothing annoys me more than when Cat rubs the male dancers sweaty heads while they're getting feedback....

Oh...and in case you hadn't noticed that, you will now...LOL
    Oh, I noticed that! And she stands with her arm around them. I'm sure they don't want to touch after all that!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Of course I'm watching. I LOVE this show.

Yeah I did not feel it at all on the first number. I said to Brian "i don't know what it is but this dance is just not doing it for me" and then the judges raved about it and i was like what do I know I guess lol.

Man I am SO impressed with the B Boys they have this year. They have been incredible.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I agree with you! I thought the judges didn't really judge too much, especially Debbie. But one thing Nigel did comment on, and I agree, was the Bollywood number. It was not strong at all. Then again, it could be that I don't care for Iveta. She is a professional and 10 time champion, she shouldn't be on this show! And she looks much older than 30, sorry.
    I agree, in the past they have always emphasized how precise the hand motions and sharp the movements should be in a Bollywood number, and theirs was just like they were rushy through it, and not being careful.

I think Iveta's make-up generally ages her a lot, and I agree, I don't understand why she'd even want to be on this show!
    I've Been Frosted

Because it's a paying gig

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
    Because it's a paying gig
    All those dance competitions do come with prize money ... and she tried out for this, what 4 times? Her personality does not come across as someone interested in exploring other styles of dance, she more comes across as someone who just wants to win whatever it is she does.
    I've Been Frosted

And did you notice Iveta kept looking at her partner (I can't remember his name right now) through the entire dance? And I saw her mess up a few times. But it is outside her expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    All those dance competitions do come with prize money ... and she tried out for this, what 4 times? Her personality does not come across as someone interested in exploring other styles of dance, she more comes across as someone who just wants to win whatever it is she does.
    I know but this gives her exposure and pays her and yeah she probably just wants to win whatever she can

So without giving anything away as to who went home last night, in case you recorded the show and haven't watched it yet....I just want to say something.

The guy they kept Nigel said his solo dance was the best they've seen so far. Understandable as to why they kept him. However, the girl they kept he said her solo was weak and she could have done better. So why did you keep her??? I don't get it.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I agree about the first dance, I didn't think it was sexy at all. I'm not a fan of Ryan's in the slightest, she's too cheerleader. I haven't understood her huge grin in either dance.

My favorite is Melanie, absolutely. David and I both picked her as our top favorite from her first audition. Someone mentioned girls not having much personality, and I have to say, I think Melanie is exuding personality. I don't have a standout guy favorite, yet, although Marko is great with Melanie.

I noticed someone was delicate about not mentioning who got sent home? Is it really that much of an issue for people? How long is appropriate to wait before we can openly say anything? I'm not trying to offend, but I know I will watch the show, regardless if I know the outcome or not. It's about the dancing, not about the winning.

I fastforward through almost ALL of the talking, including most of the judging (I NEVER listen to Mary Murphy, because she has to be the single most annoying television personality in the history of television personalities). Cat is my favorite female host of any show, ever. She just seems like the big sister of all the contestants, and I've seen her on several occasions call the judges out on hypocrisy, and I love her. It doesn't bother me at all that she is affectionate with the dancers, but I can see how it would be annoying.

Like for me, Mary Murphy's vast set of teeth never unclinch, and I can't handle it. haha. I'm sure a lot of people don't even notice. Again, it's been years since I actually listened to her critique. :/
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

If I have DVR'd the show, and not watched it yet, I don't read the threads. Yes, I think it was bad that they kept Ryan despite her poor solo, she has not impressed me so far, it's like she cannot do anything without that manic grin, and it just is NOT appropriate! I was surprised they kept her over Missy, though not too surprised, it seems a lot of Missy's solo was tossing her hair around.

I was also surprised they kept Jess, he seems far too mechanical in lots of his movements - yes, he's terrific in Broadway, but that's about it. And I wonder how they will cope with lifts now that he'll be partnered with Ryan, who is several inches taller than him.
    I've Been Frosted

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Karen, agreed. Although I honestly thought Iveta (although I don't like her over any other girls) did the best solo. She actually looked youthful in her last rehearsal package with Nick. I think it must have been her makeup or maybe because she wasn't wearing sparkles. I thought Missy's solo was terrible. I didn't enjoy her and Wadi's cha cha, although I'm not sure it was because she was bad, I just didn't like the look of it at all. I got super spoiled watching Lauren last year! I thought Iveta, based overall and on her solo, should have stayed over Ryan. And I also would have preferred to see Nick stay. His solo was my favorite, and I've enjoyed watching him in the other two dances, although the Bollywood wasn't great. Why is Jess being partnered with Ryan? Who is Jess's partner being paired with? I must have missed the announcement of Jess and Ryan being paired up. But, again, I rarely listen to any of the talking.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I figured wrong, Ryan will be paired with Ricky, I guess, as both their partners went home. But as Ryan and Jess both seem to be the producer's favorites, it seems like at some point, they will be paired! I kept thinking Missy was Jess' partner, not Wadi's.
    I've Been Frosted