Thread: Home appraisal and cat urine stains/smells

Home appraisal and cat urine stains/smells

I need recommendations fast. I'll have my home appraised in about a month and need to work on the many urine stains in the plywood underfloor and an unsealed concrete floor. I have disabled cats and they don't make it to the litter areas I have dotted all over the house in time. There may be places where I will have to replace the floor boards but for the most part I want to avoid that cost.

I've been reading recommendations online and, of course, everyone has a favorite method but then others say it didn't work for them.

So, for urine in wood, what have you used?

How about on unsealed concrete?

I will be having the concrete sealed and all floors laid with marmoleum before the appraisal but I don't want a whiff of odor.

I know Jen likes, or used to like, Bac a Zap. Some online have sworn by vinegar but I use that all the time and it doesn't get rid of the stubborn stains.

I found this recipe online on a couple of sites and wonder if anyone has tried it:

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
    1/3 cup baking soda
    Dash of liquid soap

Many thanks.

Once you clean an area, how are you going to prevent the cats from going there again?

My cousin just went through something similar; she sent 2 of her 3 cats to live with her daughter for now, until she sells her house and is somewhere else. She knows it is one of those 2 who "misses" the box.

It took her repeat applications, and many different products, to get the smell gone. No one thing worked, she tells me. And what did it on one rug was a waste of time on the next rug but she has no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Once you clean an area, how are you going to prevent the cats from going there again?
    My house is on two floors so all the cats will be on one floor while the other is cleaned, sealed and covered.

No rugs or carpets, thank goodness, only wood and concrete.

I think once concrete is stained, there is no way to get rid of that stain.

As for the plywood, there is something. Our neighbors got new carpet, and they scrubbed the plywood before the new stuff was put down. Not sure what they used, but would think the place you're going to use for the new stuff would have suggestions.

I'd also like to see what folks suggest for the concrete.

During last winter, my dogs ended up using the garage a lot, rather than going right out. I'm going to seal it, but want to know how to clean it first to remove odor.

VILE in there with the doors closed!

I'll ask my mom what she used on the dog runs when she had my sisters dogs out there. She bought it by the gallon and used a hard push broom to scrub it. And of course, it's not toxic to the animals.

I've heard some people say Nature's Miracle is great. But I use that to clean up Paizly's puke and later that day Zoee is right there where the spot was licking it because she can smell it. I can't see the spot at all either. And it says it's supposed to neutralize the odor. Yeah, not so much, IMO.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I used a mix 50 / 50 water and bleach on the garage floor - definitely removed the stain, not so sure it removed the smell though.

If you do this, be careful. My area is not living space. You need to make sure you have good air circulation for you AND the cats.

BAC A ZAP!! It's gotten rid of all the smells for me. Stains on hardwood get lighter but they're still going to be stained. It's a pain, but Honeybun has ruined some of my hardwood from not making it to the litterbox, but I use the Bac a Zap on it, and it's looking better. Smells much better too.