Thread: End of my ROPE!

End of my ROPE!

I am new here, searching the internet as I have a problem with Maxx , my 12 year old tuxedo cat. This boy, never a problem in his life, I had him shaved a month and a half ago, because of hair balls. The vet tech nicked his tail tip and knee. He developed an abscess on the knee and attacked his tail till bloody. After numerous vet trips, $1000 in bills, till they admitted they caused it, he still has problems!!
    On the 4th of July they cleaned his tail and abscess, gave him short and long acting antibiotics, IV's, ACE, and Bupe for pain. I had to leave the e collar on him for about a week. He still acted like he didn't recognize his tail though.

He was doing great, for several weeks. His tail was healing, he was happy and all of a sudden, last night went crazy and mutilated his tail again. I am going through what Jen went through having a crazed animal, blood everywhere and frankly, I am losing my mind about this. Who would have thought a shave for hairballs would have destroyed my poor cats sanity.
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    This is part of a post that I sent the end of July. The update on Maxx is he did leave his tail alone for days while on the meds and I was able to take the cone off. I usually give him 10mg of Ace every other day and the Bupe on the odd day. The tail looks as if the bone at the tip is showing. It is warm and doesn't smell. I can press on it and he doesn't seem to mind.
    Where I have concern is that when I don't give him the med, he freaks out, races around and does not recognize his tail and attacks it. When I medicate him, all he does is sleep. I make sure to wake him up about 4 times a day to eat, drink use the box and love him. He is worse at night and tries to literally sleep on top of my head or arms. I feel so bad.

Do you have any advice or do you think my poor cat is permanently crazed?

Thanks Robin

Have you spoken to the vet about maybe reducing the dosage of the meds, so it doesn't completely wipe him out?

Has the fur grown back on his tail?
    I've Been Frosted

Hi

You know I have called the vets and they say he is on the minimum dose of both meds. The fur is growing back on parts but not completely. You know, good advice, I can just cut the doses in half myself duh! thanks!!!

I guess I am mostly worried about his sanity.....

I don't know what ACE is...but perhaps using kennel crops, or an herbal calming spray (check a good pet store) might be added if you want to try reducing the meds. He and you have been through a LOT - and he might be stressed enough that he thinks his tail needs to be attacked - kind of like PTSD.

Check with your vet about these items - even though they are not drugs, as such, they might interact with the ones he is taking.

HUGS and prayers for you and dear Maxx.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Someone mentioned felicalm? Does that help with anxiety in cats?

Thanks Catty and Karen for the advice.

Acepromazine is for anxiety, I guess it is similar to Phenergan for humans (promethezine). I gave him some buprenex and he keeps jumping off and on my lap with dilated pupils looking like the tasmanian devil and racing around the sofa. I guess it is time for a little ace and go to bed with him to calm him down. egads, this is a drag. Poor Maxie.

I am decreasing Maxxs meds today so he has spent much more time awake, playing, cuddling and looking out the front door. He has also left his tail alone. He now lets me rub the tip, it must itch like crazy, because he loves when I do this!

Wow - I hope he continues to do excellently on the reduced meds! Bless you for sticking by him!

If you care to post in Cat General, we LOVE pictures!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I am so happy to say that Maxx has left his tail alone for almost 2 weeks. He is still on a half dose of medicine. He seems happy and not so freaked out most of the time. I am happy he is better, but I am not sure he will ever be the same boy.....

Good to hear. As for him ever being the same again - we all change day to day anyway, that's just part of life!
    I've Been Frosted

How much longer will he need to be on the medication? Perhaps once he is done with it and has completely healed, you'll have your old boy back. So glad to hear about the progress he is making though.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.