Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: adventures at the doggy daycare

adventures at the doggy daycare

I finally got a job! & it's the best job ever. I work at a place called Fur-Ever Friends Doggy Daycare. I get to play with dogs all day . I started this thread to share some of my stories/experiences at my job (just in case anyone's interested in reading them lol).
    I'll start by telling you about the place itself. They don't use cages here. The dogs are allowed to roam the whole building, which has a lobby, an office, a grooming room, & 3 large playrooms with rubber floors. The dogs are allowed to play with toys, eat treats, sleep wherever they're comfortable, go outside & run around in the yard, & play in the kiddie pools. Seeing as there are no cages, the dogs are required to be at least relatively good with other dogs; although, we have made some exceptions.
    As I said before, I started this thread to share my stories, & to tell you about the dogs who come here. I don't work all that often, so you probably won't see a new post on here very often (I work about once or twice a week). I'll also post some pictures of the dogs . I hope you enjoy my stories
    Last edited by charlie116; 07-10-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Dogs: Harlee (black lab), Sadie (lab/german shepherd/husky), Ben (sheltie), Baby (chocolate lab), Marti (brindle boxer)

I've been here since 7am, & I'll be here til 7pm (long story). Harlee & Marti are playing in the lobby. They've been wrestling w/ each other for a good 1/2 an hour now. At least they tire each other out! Maranda's here w/ me. I've been friends w/ her for about 8 years. She also works here. I have my dog Daisy w/ me, & Maranda has her dog Martini w/ her. Martini (aka Tini) is a mutt. She looks like some sort of jack russell/chihuahua/rat terrier mix or something (I'll post a pic later). Baby is in the back room. She's been there since she got here, which was about 7:30am. She came in & tried to attack Daisy. She was snarling & growling & frothing at the mouth. Daisy is one of the most laid-back dogs you'll ever meet, so obviously if Baby had a problem with Daisy, she'd definitely have a problem w/ the other dogs. After her owner left, I put her in the 2 back rooms, gave her a big bowl of water & some food, gave her 2 dog beds, & gave her a bunch of toys. I checked on her every 1/2-hour to make sure she was ok. I also took her outside to use the bathroom about 3 times an hour. She's doing well so far. She's laying on her bed resting. She doesn't seem stressed or anything. I tried to take her outside w/ the other dogs. She was fine when there was a chain-link fence between them (she was wagging her tail & everything), so I decided to try w/ Daisy again. I brought Daisy into the pen w/ Baby. I had Baby on a leash, & Maranda had Daisy on a leash. They were fine for about 2 minutes, but Baby went to sniff Daisy's ear, & Daisy turned to look at her, & Baby snarled & snapped at her. I pulled Baby away, & took her back inside. I felt bad leaving her in the room all by herself, but I didn't want to risk having one of the other dogs getting hurt. Baby is a big dog. She has to weigh at least 120 pounds. I mean, I can control her, but only to a certain extent. She's great with people, though. She loves to give kisses.
    Last edited by charlie116; 07-10-2011 at 04:18 PM.

I'd be glad to hear all about your job. I've never used doggie daycare as I think there couldn't possibly be enough ratio of people to dogs to stop a fight or keep a good eye on them all. Is there somebody in each room at all times if the dogs are allowed to roam everywhere?

When I worked at a boarding kennel the dogs were not allowed to get close enough to sniff each other. If they were that close they could easily open their mouth and chomp down. I wonder how much insurance a doggie daycare has for incidents like that.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    I'd be glad to hear all about your job. I've never used doggie daycare as I think there couldn't possibly be enough ratio of people to dogs to stop a fight or keep a good eye on them all. Is there somebody in each room at all times if the dogs are allowed to roam everywhere?

When I worked at a boarding kennel the dogs were not allowed to get close enough to sniff each other. If they were that close they could easily open their mouth and chomp down. I wonder how much insurance a doggie daycare has for incidents like that.
    When I work, I'm usually the only person here with the dogs. Sometimes one or both of my bosses are here, & sometimes my friend Maranda comes with me. I usually work on the weekends, & the dogs that are here on the weekends are being boarded. There are usually only a few dogs here when I work. The most I've had to watch was 5, which is nothing for me because I have 5 dogs at home. The dogs are usually in the same room as me at all times, unless one of the dogs acts up & has to be seperated. I always keep a close eye on them. I've never experienced a fight. If I even suspect a fight, I seperate the dogs immediately. I have no idea about the insurance thing...They usually just turn away dogs that seem aggressive.

I am glad you're enjoying your new job! I worked at a dog daycare last year and loved it. I was usually the only one with the dogs, too. The job unfortunately came to an end as my boss couldn't pay me any more, but she hired new people. That's another story, don't want to sour your thread. I LOVED every minute of it though. Get pics if you can. We were fully insured too, Irescue I am certain it's insured.. it's a requirement in my state anyways and a kennel license for the business. She accepts all breeds though, some just don't.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    I am glad you're enjoying your new job! I worked at a dog daycare last year and loved it. I was usually the only one with the dogs, too. The job unfortunately came to an end as my boss couldn't pay me any more, but she hired new people. That's another story, don't want to sour your thread. I LOVED every minute of it though. Get pics if you can. We were fully insured too, Irescue I am certain it's insured.. it's a requirement in my state anyways and a kennel license for the business. She accepts all breeds though, some just don't.
    Yea, I'm sure they have to have insurance, & they accept all breeds as long as they're relatively good with other dogs.

Can't wait to hear about your experiences. Just so you know there will be fights you will have to break up, I think dog daycares are usually under-staffed for that reason. At the daycare I worked at, on Fridays there were 19 at a time and I was by myself. Luckily no big fights broke out, but they do happen. How is your puppy that you got doing?

This job sounds perfect for a dog lover!

The place we attend our small dog meet ups is a doggie day care called Off the Leash. It is run much as you describe. The dogs have kennels for night time, but for 12 hours daily they are out in the open areas, romping, playing, chewing, sleeping, or just watching all the antics of the other pups.

I really enjoyed reading what you have shared thus far!

Has Baby been there before, or is this her first time? Acting out as she is, will she be allowed back?

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    Can't wait to hear about your experiences. Just so you know there will be fights you will have to break up, I think dog daycares are usually under-staffed for that reason. At the daycare I worked at, on Fridays there were 19 at a time and I was by myself. Luckily no big fights broke out, but they do happen. How is your puppy that you got doing?
    Yea, I know there will be fights. There have been a few fights already, but no blood. I'm used to dealing with fights because my dogs have fought in the past. It's still a scary thing though.
    Honey, my puppy, is doing wonderful. I took her to the vet the other day & she weighs 40 pounds! She's 6 months old, so we're gonna go get her spayed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    This job sounds perfect for a dog lover!

The place we attend our small dog meet ups is a doggie day care called Off the Leash. It is run much as you describe. The dogs have kennels for night time, but for 12 hours daily they are out in the open areas, romping, playing, chewing, sleeping, or just watching all the antics of the other pups.

I really enjoyed reading what you have shared thus far!

Has Baby been there before, or is this her first time? Acting out as she is, will she be allowed back?
    Yea, the dogs aren't even put in cages at night at my job. There's someone there at night to watch them & make sure they don't fight or get into trouble.
    No, Baby hasn't been there before. That was her first time. I have no idea if she'll be able to come back. That's completely up to my bosses. They may try to socialize/rehabilitate her or something while she's there.

If you wanna see some pics of the dogs at the daycare, check out the album "Fur-Ever Friends" on my page

How cute is this!! Piper, are you a little happy to be cooling off in the pool!

Piper the yellow lab

I love Papillons! Terri the Papillon

We were just talking about dog day care services at work. There's not one right around where I work but if one ever opened, they'd probably do a land-office business caring for all the hospital staff's dogs.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Wow, I've never seen a Dobie the color of Heidi. And I must say I'm partial to Abbey.
    I love how Kodie is hanging out right in front of the fan.

They are all adorable doggies! Lots of Boxers. My friend would be in heaven there!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

They are all so cute! I love these dogs:

(The pit bull obviously. )

I have to confess, when I saw this picture, I thought Heidi was a greyhound.

Hi, Heidi!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678