Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkish cats - a picture thread

Turkish cats - a picture thread

Hello all,

Following on from my thread in General about my recent holiday to Turkey, I thought I'd share a few more of my pictures of the feline variety. I always have a thing for photographing stray cats abroad. The way they eke out an existence fascinates me, as well as, of course, finding them incredibly adorable.

We stayed in a villa and for part of the holiday were graced with visits from a cat we presume was a stray, even though she was friendly and appreciated human contact. She was a beautiful subject for the camera! We nicknamed her 'Tiptoes', since she had a habit of kneading her paws.

After her trust in us grew, she began to wait for us by the patio door every morning.

We didn't often have a lot to give her to eat. I'm vegetarian, and when we're away the rest of my family don't really eat meat other than at restaurants. She had to make do with milk and boiled egg to begin with (I know not quite the ideal diet, but considering we caught her eating some old cooked potatoes from a rubbish bin one evening, I think she could manage). Since she kept coming back, we thought of some more inventive ways to feed her. Here she is eating some 6-hour slow roasted Turkish lamb; we kept a little meat to one side of my parents' dish at a local restaurant and wrapped it up in napkins and snuck it home (we didn't think they'd be to happy that we were planning on feeding their best dish to the cat ).

We then had another nice surprise - this time her kitten joined her! To begin with, he was very nervous of us, and stayed glued to his mother, and if we got too close he would bolt off to a safe distance. He was quite wary of the flashy box!

More to come...

Zimbabwe 07/13

His bravery did grow, however, most likely thanks to that famed curiosity of cats...

Then I decided to see how brave he could be. He just couldn't resist chasing one of my belts, and before long he was brave enough to follow it into the house. The little sweetheart got so excited - I don't suppose he'd ever had anyone to play with before.

More to come...

Zimbabwe 07/13

How kind of you to feed that Momma Cat andthier Kitten, and for at least for a while make thier lives a little better
    We are sure that they will meet up with you in Paradise and Thank You
    many years from now
    One Fine Day
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My Goodness that Kitten looks like My Scrappy Two!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Eventually he got so full of himself that he would waltz into the house of his own accord and pretend he was chasing something - and lo, we had a housecat! I was sad to leave the pair of them behind. I do hope they're both doing OK.

Here are a few pictures of other cats I encountered. There's something so magical about cats by the sea. I have no idea why, but somehow they suit each other!

Last one, get ready to say 'aaaaaaaaaw!'

Tee hee

That's the lot - hope you've enjoyed them!

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    How kind of you to feed that Momma Cat andthier Kitten, and for at least for a while make thier lives a little better
    We are sure that they will meet up with you in Paradise and Thank You
    many years from now
    One Fine Day
    Thank you, Gary. I do hope it made some difference to their lives, however little.

Sadly, we found many tourists were so intolerant towards the stray animals in the towns and villages. In one restaurant, a family on another table got so up our noses when they were hissing (I kid you not ) at the cats walking by, who were not posing any bother to them, and then letting their bratty children run riot chasing them around the place. Some people - revolting!

Zimbabwe 07/13

Aweee the babies are so Sweet & Adorable.. great pics thanks

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Very cute pictures. When I was getting my car smogged, the man that works at the place is from Turkey and he loves cats. He showed me some pictures of the cat he used to have growing up. It was a white Turkish Angora with odd eyes. He doesn't have any cats right now because his wife is afraid of them. He says he will have a another cat though some day.

Thank you so much for the beautiful photos and your love and care for these sweet cats. God bless you.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

This one makes her look like she's laughing, I think.

Thanks for the photos!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I love, in this picture, that Mommy is watching as Kitten plays!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks

Great photos. I am going to use the last one as my background on my computer.

Thanks, everyone.

Elyse, indeed she was a very respectful cat! She was too polite to intrude until invited in, I think. She did keep a close eye on her little one, but was very relaxed in letting us so close to him. If he got too excited and started scratching at the curtains, where she couldn't see him, she would call to him to come away. I think she could teach some human mothers a thing or two!

Sallyanne, that picture makes me smile every time I see it. He was such a shy boy, it took me an age to get a half-decent shot of him!

Zimbabwe 07/13

Thank you so very much for sharing your extraordinary pictures! All the kitties are beauties. Your kindness to the mother and her kitten made their visits so special. Because you cared, they possibly knew love for the first time being strays. Bless you for helping them and welcome home!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Loved seeing the pictures! I love the little black and white kitten!!

I loved this one especially! Beautiful photo!