Thread: Bubba Smith - RIP

Bubba Smith - RIP

Charles Aaron Smith, commonly known as Bubba, died today at age 66. He went to Michigan State. He played in that MSU/Notre Dame game in 1966, the 10-10 tie. Will be interesting to see if the cause of death has anything to do with the dementia problems former pro players are being diagnosed with these days.

The chants of “Kill, Bubba, Kill” inside Spartan Stadium would ignite a flame inside defensive end Charles (Bubba) Smith that would rise to the surface and turn him into one of the best players to ever wear green and white for Michigan State.

He excelled. He dominated. He became a legend, possibly the most well-known Spartans football player ever.

Smith, one of only three MSU players to have his jersey number retired, died today at his home in Los Angeles. He was 66.

The Los Angeles Times reported that he died of natural causes. Police told the Associated Press his death did not appear suspicious. Authorities said an autopsy would be conducted. A caretaker discovered Smith’s body.

Smith, who was born in Orange, Texas, earned three letters at MSU (1964-66) and was a part of stellar championship teams under legendary coach Duffy Daugherty.

He became the first pick of the 1967 NFL draft and played nine seasons. He was a part of the 1970 Super Bowl champion Baltimore Colts and played in two Pro Bowls.

After football, Smith went on to a career in acting, most notably as a soft-spoken police officer in the “Police Academy” films and in hilarious Miller Lite commercials.

“Bubba Smith made me feel better about myself whenever I was around him,” MSU athletic director Mark Hollis tweeted. “He is forever a great Spartan. RIP.”

Smith spent five seasons with the Baltimore Colts and two season each with Oakland and Houston.

Michigan State retired Bubba Smith's No. 95 jersey in 2006.

"This could have happened 30 years ago, " Smith told the Free Press from his home in Los Angeles back then. "It's still a proud moment. You know what you did at the time hasn't been duplicated."

The retirement ceremony coincided with the 40th anniversary of the "Game of the Century, " which ended in a 10-10 tie between No. 1 Notre Dame and No. 2 MSU.

Smith called his years at MSU the best time of his life and said that his professional career doesn't compare to his collegiate experience. Smith was part of two national championship teams -- 1965 and 1966 -- and was the first overall pick in the 1967 NFL draft.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    So sad! We were just watching Police Academy the other day.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Yes a sad day for sure.. I always like Bubba Smith.. RIP Bubba Smith

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Does anyone else remember him in the short-lived "Blue Thunder" TV show? It lasted all of 11 episodes in '84 and also featured Dana Carvey (SNL comedian) and Dick Butkus (the coach)

I read an article that BS didn't drink and was horrified that people took the Tastes Great Less Filling commercial so seriously. He stopped doing the spots soon afterwards.

RIP Bubba.