Thread: Urinalysis results pg2 #33 Coping with FLOODS!

Threaded View

Urinalysis results pg2 #33 Coping with FLOODS!

Starting back in November, I have written a bit about how Marlin is aging. Although we were told he was age 9 when he was surrendered in to rescue, it is not uncommon for owners to make a dog younger. They worry that even a rescue won't take on an older dog. This would mean Marlin will be 13 next week. Well, he is acting MUCH older.

He has another vet appt on Aug 2d, and I'm sure all sorts of blood work will happen. Here are the ongoing, and worsening issues:

- he drinks water CONSTANTLY. And what goes in, must come out. So we have regular FLOODS. He is not always aware that he has to go, or even that he IS GOING! When he knows, he asks to go out and boy, one of us best RUN to get that door open for him. You know how the morning pee is highly concentrated, very yellow, and this is the one vets prefer for testing? No longer, with Marlin, For over a month now, he is up to pee at 2 AM and again at 4 AM. He drinks gallons in between, so it is always very dilute. I've tried a belly band, but nothing can hold that much liquid. He pees on pet beds, floors, pillows, he just can't help himself. Several times, he has been at the water bowl drinking, and it is coming out at the back as fast as he is lapping it up at the front.

- since November or so he has been eating 3 times what the others eat, daily. He hasn't gained any weight. If anything, he may have lost a tiny bit.

- he has a lot of difficulty walking. He can no longer do long walks, and does not come with us to the Farm any more. I walk him down the street and back, and some days that is too much and I have to carry him back home.

- he howls, yes HOWLS, if he can't find me. This is unfortunate as it happens when I walk the other dogs, go out for groceries, or just go in the yard to mow the lawn (all the dogs stay in then, as I have all the gates open.) Dad tries but nothing consoles Marlin until I am back in. I make a point to talk to him and touch him to let him know I've returned.

- he gets out of breath rapidly on these slower - than - molasses walks

- he has some doggie dementia going on, gets stuck behind bedroom doors, and the door to outside. Coming in, he roams the garage barking and has on 2 occasions recently tried to get through the WALL when I open the door to let him in. He can't figure out which door I am at when I return from grocery shopping, and may be at the CELLAR door barking for me, rather than one of the doors to outside. I have the cellar stairs well blocked, as he fell down them once. (Have to keep the door open as the cats have their litter boxes down there)

- he doesn't see well, bumps in to things. It is comical to see he shuffle and then give a HUGE LEAP to get over a tiny crack in the asphalt in the road when we walk down the street. But also sad, as I know he hasn't a clue what that dark spot is, it could be going all the way to China!

He's been tested twice for diabetes, thyroid, Cushings and other stuff, all with negative results. I am sure the vet will run all that in the blood work again next week.

Marlin has never been one to sit in your lap, or even next to you on a sofa. But in the past month, he takes great pleasure in having a good rub down! Awwwwww.
    Last edited by Freedom; 08-05-2011 at 09:54 AM.