Thread: It's definate now

It's definate now

I'm going to be getting my dog in about 4-5 months (I have to get settled into my apartment and stuff, and find a job) and the breeder I'm going to be getting my English Setter from said that I could choose out of an upcoming litter or she would be willing to let me have an older dog who is a 17 month old female. I am going to choose the 17 month old. I've never trained a puppy before and I don't want to screw up, lol.

Does anyone have any advice for me since the last time I owned a dog I was 12 and I didn't have enough maturity to take care of him? He was a miniature poodle and he was aggressive - which scared me away from dogs for a long time - but I'm ready now and I think I found a match in this English Setter! I can't wait!!!

Congratulations to you !!! Must be very excited right now hehe
    ~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~

My advice would be to be sure to give her PLENTY of exercise. That breed is very energetic and may get bored without a yard so be sure to take daily walks and many trips to the park!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

You made a kind, compassionate and good choice by taking the older dog. Often older dogs are not adopted or purchased as frequently, as everyone has "puppy fever". Thank you for giving an adult dog a home!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I, too, wanted to say congratulations on picking the older dog. A wise and compassionate choice. Will be waiting to hear more.

My sister said "don't get the dog" but I'm getting her anyway...my life, right? lol. But the more I see her photo the more estatic that I am to finally get a dog - her to be specific. I wanted to try agility with her but I don't know if I have the stamina to do it!!!! I've attatched her head shot so you can see what she looks like

I love her already! I think when I get her I'll rename her Cristo (like the Count of Monte Cristo? lol)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

She's very pretty.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Congratulations, she is lovely.

Awww congratulations!!!
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa