Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feema, my sweet little Himalayan girl

Unhappy Feema, my sweet little Himalayan girl

Hi all,

I'd like to tell you about Feema, my sweet baby girl who passed away yesterday. Unfortunately I never had a chance to submit her photo and story to Cat of the Day... but better late than never, right?

Feema had been my grandmother's cat for many years. My grandmother adopted her from a rescue organization. Feema's original parents (though I hesitate to call them that) did not provide a good home for her. When my grandmother adopted her, Feema was extremely scared, showing symptoms of possible abuse, and she hid in an unused part of the house for more than a month, only coming out late at night (after everyone was asleep) to eat and use the litter box. It took many more months before Feema was finally brave enough to stop hiding in that room and interact with the humans, although she remained quite shy for a few years, always running and hiding whenever a visitor came to the house.

When my grandmother died a few years ago, my aunts and uncles all offered to take Feema, but many of them already had pets, including dogs, and it was felt that Feema would do best in a place where she could remain an indoor cat and not have to deal with dogs or multiple outdoor cats. I already had a cat, but he was an indoor cat and very low-key, so I was given the honor of taking Feema. I think my grandmother would have approved -- she knew that I'm a cat person and that I've provided a good home for my cat. (You can see him here: http://catoftheday.com/archive/2003/June/27.html )

When I brought Feema to her new home with me and Mr. Mackee, she initially reverted back to her extremely shy and scared ways. She hid underneath my bed for almost two weeks -- only coming out late at night while I was asleep to eat and use the box. Sometimes she would quietly sneak up onto my bed while I was asleep to check me out; if I woke up and attempted to pet her, she would immediately run away and hide. Eventually she became more comfortable with me and allowed me to interact with her during the daytime, and would even let me pet her. It took at least three months, however, before she would sit next to me on the couch... and three more months after that before she was brave enough to sit in my lap.

Ultimately she did get past the shyness, and within a year we were inseparable. Wherever I was, she was right there next to me. She would follow me around the apartment. At night she would curl up on the pillow next to my head, or she would curl up on my chest.

She and Mr. Mackee got along reasonably well. I think Mr. Mackee always knew that he was the "original" cat, and he would get a bit jealous, but any fighting they did was of the playful non-vicious variety. Feema didn't have a mean bone in her body. She would never, ever lay a paw on Mr. Mackee unless he provoked her. She was always very sweet with me, too. Not once did she ever bite or scratch me.

In 2008, Feema developed some unusual health problems. She would lose her balance and had the symptoms of dizziness or vertigo. Sometimes she couldn't walk without falling over. The veterinarian was stumped. Could be an ear infection, could be a tumor, could be a stroke. No way of knowing without an MRI and other very expensive diagnostics, none of which I could afford. She was given an injection of a long-acting steroid and within a week she was back to normal.

In 2009, she had some health troubles again. Lots of vomiting and diarrhea. I tried different foods, and some of them seemed to help, but eventually the vomiting and diarrhea returned. The vet prescribed prednisolone, which helped greatly. Occasionally Feema would get sick, but usually she'd be back to normal within a week or two.

In 2010, Feema started losing weight. By February of 2011, Feema was down to just 5 pounds, and as of last month she weighed only 4 pounds. She was nothing but fur and bones. She still seemed happy, though, and I tried to make sure that she always got enough to eat -- which wasn't easy with Mr. Mackee around; he's overweight and can be a real pig when it comes to food! Feema wasn't getting sick very often, but it seemed like she just wasn't adequately processing her food -- perhaps this was partly because of her ongoing G.I. issues and partly because of her age, which we guesstimated to be somewhere between 16 and 19 (hard to know for sure with a rescue cat).

In June of this year, her appetite took a nose dive. She was eating less than a quarter of a can of food per day.

Last week, she stopped eating. She was still drinking water, but all she would do was take one small lick of her food, and then walk away. Within three days I could tell that she was very, very sick. She was extremely weak, and could no longer get in and out of the litter box. By the fourth day, she could barely walk across the living room floor. She couldn't climb up onto my bed.

On Friday I called my vet (who exclusively does housecalls), but she was at a conference out of state. I thought about taking Feema to the emergency clinic. I knew that the end was near. But I hated the thought of putting her in the carrier and taking her to a scary, unfamiliar place. (She was one of those cats who gets completely panic-stricken at veterinary clinics -- panting, drooling, turning herself inside out, etc... that's why I switched to the housecall vet a few years ago). So I left the housecall vet a message and told her that I needed her to come ASAP on Monday.

The weekend was hell. I was watching my baby girl die and I couldn't do anything about it. By Sunday she could no longer drink water.

On Monday the vet came and relieved my sweet Feema of her suffering. It was one of the most horrible, unbearable, gutwrenching days of my life. All I can do is keep telling myself "she's not suffering anymore."

We buried Feema yesterday afternoon in my mother's back yard, near where our beloved other pets have been laid to rest. Her body was wrapped in one of my t-shirts, along with one of my face towels for extra padding. Her all-time favorite toy, a simple little catnip-filled mouse, was placed inside the box with her.

I miss her so much. I'm sure Mr. Mackee misses her too, even though he probably wouldn't admit it if you asked him. But I know he had a special bond with his adopted sister.

Last edited by ElGatoTriste; 07-26-2011 at 09:33 PM.

That was a very touching description of Feema. I'm sorry for your loss but am glad you felt comfortable enough to share your kitty with us. Feel free to submit her story for being cat of the day even though she isn't with you physically. She'll always live in your memory! I am now taking care of a kitty that my grandma originally had. He is neurotic to say the least, but we're making small steps toward progress. It's been 6 months, and reading your story gives me great hope that one day we'll have a closer relationship as well. Let those warm memories ease the pain of your sadness.

I also wanted to add that Feema was a beautiful girl!

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

What a touching, lovely story...

Godspeed pretty, sweet Feema!

Estoy triste para tu familia tambien.

I'm sorry for your loss of Feema.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Rest in peace, pretty Feema, you go look for Boo up there, okay? He was a himmie I knew many years ago, sweet as can be, and he'll know all the good spots and the best sunbeams to lie in.
    I've Been Frosted

I am so sorry for your loss.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I'm so sorry for your loss. Feema sure was a beauty and you'll be reunited again some day. RIP sweet girl. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

I am so very sorry to read of the loss of your beautiful, sweet Feema. Thank you for sharing her story with us.

She is happy and healthy again at the Rainbow Bridge, waiting to meet you there, One Fine Day.

Rest in peace, dear Feema. You are greatly loved and grieved.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Feema was a beauty and I'm sorry that you didn't have more time w/her. RIP, Feema and peace to your human.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thank you all so much for your kindness and understanding. It means a lot to me.

Even though I've still got Mr. Mackee here (don't know what I'd do without him!), the apartment feels so weird and empty without Feema here. Amazing how a little 4-pound ball of fluff can have such an impact. I can't bear to think of how it'll feel at some point down the road when my tuxedo boy isn't here anymore.

I had to buy cat food and cat litter yesterday, and when I was at the store and realized I only needed to buy half as much as I normally buy, I broke down...

This is one of the last pictures I took of Feema and Mr. Mackee together. They usually weren't affectionate with each other; I'm glad I happened to have my cell phone in my hand as I walked into the bedroom and encountered this scene:

Oh, Feema was much loved. I am so sorry for your loss. Love on Mr. Mackee lots and lots, as I am sure he, too, feels the loss.

I am so sorry the beautiful Feema girl is no longer with you. I am typing through tears now.

RIP Feema
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm very sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you.

Melissa

Sweet, sweet Feema. I read your story earlier on today but had to close it down quickly as major LES came to visit. What a beautiful princess you are and I'm sure the RB has a special tiara just for you. Rest easy little one and when it's very quiet at night, swoop down and purr in your hooman's ear just to let her know you are OK. Oh yes, and how about letting Mr. Mackee know too, OK?

That last pic of Mr. Mackee and Feema together has brought LES again.

All of us have been through this ordeal and I do believe that it is stressful on the remaining furbabies and we all know how painful it is to the hoomans. Lean on Mr. Mackee and in time, I hope you will open up your again to another precious kitty.

Slick
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

You just know that your grandmother was there to greet her "baby" and they both thank you for taking such good care of Feema. Love never dies and you will all be reunited One Fine Day.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!