Thread: Death of a Co-Worker...

Death of a Co-Worker...

In all my years of working, this is the first time I've had this experience.

One of my co-workers passed away this weekend. He's been quite ill and in the hospital for around a month now. We knew it was very serious, but still had hope...

He & I weren't very close. He was very close to some of the other team members... I don't know how this will affect our team dynamic.

I'm really sad. Brian was an animal lover. In the last few months, we started actually talking more than we had in all the time we've worked together.

What a sad thing to have happen.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

How sad. I am sorry to read of this.

Most likely, a group will go together from work for the wake, if there is one. This is what we did. None of us went to the funeral, though.

Our condolences to everyone who knew him.
    I've Been Frosted

Several years ago a co-worker experienced a devastating house fire. Kelly and her 13 year old daughter had to jump from a second floor window to escape. Kelly was found with 2 broken arms, 3 broken vertebrae, bleeding on her brain and severe burns. Her 6 year old son died in the fire.

After about a year in the hospital and a long recovery, Kelly returned to work. We had a welcome back breakfast for her on the day she returned. Her recovery, both physical and emotional, was extraordinary but she still had a few physical problems and was under doctor's care. Kelly had been back for maybe 3 months when we got to work one morning and were told she had died during the night. All of us were devastated.

The day of Kelly's funeral everyone went to the service. A motorcade started at our office complex to the church. All of us met in the parking lot and we went in together. While many of us didn't know her husband or daughter, co-workers who were close friends of the family told us later how much it meant to Kelly's family to see all of us there.

I can understand how you feel over your loss. Please know that my prayers are with your co-worker's family and also with you at this very difficult time.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    It is difficult to experience something such as this. Unfortunately, I had the experience of losing 3 of my co-workers, and all 3 to brain tumors. One gal was in her 40's and the other 2 in their mid 50's. I was quite close to one of them - we used to socialize after work, etc. quite frequently. She was diagnosed in May and passed away in August 2005, so it was very quick for her. Unfortunately, the other 2 lingered on much longer. It really hit me like a ton of bricks..........there but for the grace of God, go I.
    To all that have experienced this, you have my understanding.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I know this will seem silly... but here is one of the little things. As I said, Brian & I weren't particularly close.

One day, about 3 months back, I went way outside my comfort zone and wore a blouse that was patterned. I usually wear solid colors. I don't like to draw attention to myself. This patterned blouse took me a good month to get the nerve to wear after I purchased it... and I was so terrified to wear it.

The day after I wore it, I got an email from Brian that said he had been really busy the day before, but he really wanted to make sure I knew that the blouse was flattering and complemented my skin tone, and how nice it looked. He wasn't being a pervert about it, he was being very sincere.

I was so happy about that email, I printed it and brought it home to show my hubby! He thought it was funny b/c he wanted me to wear the blouse for weeks.

That one little random act of kindness really boosted my morale so much. I actually have several blouses with patterns now, and every time I wear any of them, I think of Brian.

Thanks for always letting me ramble and talk things through. I love PT.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016

My sincere condolences.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter's Mom View Post
    I know this will seem silly... but here is one of the little things. As I said, Brian & I weren't particularly close.

One day, about 3 months back, I went way outside my comfort zone and wore a blouse that was patterned. I usually wear solid colors. I don't like to draw attention to myself. This patterned blouse took me a good month to get the nerve to wear after I purchased it... and I was so terrified to wear it.

The day after I wore it, I got an email from Brian that said he had been really busy the day before, but he really wanted to make sure I knew that the blouse was flattering and complemented my skin tone, and how nice it looked. He wasn't being a pervert about it, he was being very sincere.

I was so happy about that email, I printed it and brought it home to show my hubby! He thought it was funny b/c he wanted me to wear the blouse for weeks.

That one little random act of kindness really boosted my morale so much. I actually have several blouses with patterns now, and every time I wear any of them, I think of Brian.

What a lovely memory to have from your co-worker who so suddenly passed away!

My deepest sympathy to you and all who care deeply about him. God bless.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm so sorry to hear this. My condolences go out to his family, friends, and co-workers.

So very sorry to read this Scooter's Mom, I can relate to this and I agree it's not a pleasant experience and very sad. I remember losing a friend from my dog show days, different from a co-worker but it still hurt terribly as we were very close. She was taken by a brain tumour and it wasn't something I would want to see happening to anyone else I know. My condolences to you and the other workers.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I am so sorry. I know exactly how you feel. My Co-worker, Paul, died last year in a drunk driving accident. He was only 26 years old. We all recently found out the guy who killed him is getting a sentence of 5 years.

I think that's a wonderful memory to have of Brian. May he rest in peace. Please accept my deepest condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter's Mom View Post

And every time you see someone wearing something that makes them look extra nice, you can think of brian, and send them a little note, and carry on the legacy!
    I've Been Frosted

The email our Department Director sent out today states that there are no funeral services planned as of yet. Brian's family said we could make donations to the Arizona Humane Society in his name to honor him.

Today was surreal. Everyone was crying and I don't think any of us met our production quotas. The director and I were talking and I suggested she send a photo or two out to the team, so she is putting together a photo slideshow. Brian had been with the University of Phoenix for around 5 years. (I've been there for over 8.)

In the 23 years I've been employed, this is the first time I've experienced a loss of this kind. It's not something I want to experience again... although I'm sure it will happen again at some point.

Such a hard day.
    Last edited by Scooter's Mom; 07-26-2011 at 07:23 AM.

A good friend and co-worker dies of asthma about 18 years ago. I found out in school just before the rest of the faculty. She was a great person and sometimes I still miss her.

I am sorry for your loss.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Thanks everyone.

The last two days have been hard at work. Everyone was crying yesterday.
    Today, his best friend and our Department Director cleaned out his desk. Oh my gosh, watching them do that just broke my heart.

People are going about their normal lives. Chatting all the time, NONSTOP like usual (drives a bunch of us crazy, because as a data entry department we need to focus on accuracy and with all the chatter, it's difficult) and giggling and everything. A couple of us are a little frustrated because it's like they just don't even notice he's gone and not coming back. A man died. Someone we worked with for five years or more. Even if we weren't buddy buddy best friends, that should have some meaning to it.

I guess I'm just weird. I don't know.

As of now, Brian's family is still saying donations can be made in his name to the Arizona Humane Society. During the huge fire we had up the the NE part of the state awhile back, the Wallow Fire, he and I emailed back and forth a lot about rescues of animals and things we could do to help the displaced pets and wildlife. He really had a soft spot for critters.

It's still surreal.