Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So uh... our cat might belong to somebody else?

So uh... our cat might belong to somebody else?

About two years ago, we rescued a stray kitty that was FIV+ named Luigi. We put him up on Petfinder and an animal shelter was told that we had found him, just in case he went missing for someone. Well, I just got a phone call saying that this guy and his family lost his cat named, "Skippy Jones", and Luigi IS that cat.

The guy sounded so frantic about it that it shocked me. He told me it looks JUST like his cat, with the scar on the nose and all, and his cat was microchipped, so that would be the deciding factor I guess, to determine if he is. \

But I don't know. If I lost one of our cats? I'd be pretty frantic. My mom actually just surprised me by asking me to call the vet and ask if they CHECKed him for a microchip when we got him.

So those are my random thoughts about this..

First question we have to ask is if their cat was neutered of course, because if he was, then Luigi isn't their cat- we neutered him about a year ago. If their cat wasn't neutered, then we test for the microchip. He was really rowdy when they brought him in to the vet, and we could hear him givin' em heck in there, so maybe they didn't do it, even though I did talk to the vet and she said the microchip scan is done most of the time for strays.
    Last edited by ToBeEvergreen; 08-16-2011 at 12:46 PM.
    The pups

The Kitty Krew

"Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." - Dean Koontz, False Memory

How did he run across Luigi's picture? Did he say how his cat went missing and when?
    I've Been Frosted

We'll be discussing it with the guy's family later, when my mom gets home. I didn't want to get too far without her knowing, so I called her at work, and she said we'll call them together when she gets home. Guy just said his cat went missing a while back, not sure when yet.

Luigi's picture is still on Petfinder. The guy did go beyond the picture and say his cat had a scratch on its nose when they lost him... which Luigi did, but we didn't include that picture on the site.
    The pups

The Kitty Krew

"Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." - Dean Koontz, False Memory

Gee

I am not sure how honest I could be with this guy. Why after this long, did he think this kitty is wanting to go home, if indeed it was his cat.

After all this time, and the fact that he hadn't altered him, I would not give him back. He isn't a pure bred is he?

I guess the microchip will answer your question in the end. But, I am still not sure he deserves the kitty now.

Good luck with your decision if and when you have to make it.

Keep us posted.

If it's his cat, I have no clue how he and his family lost him. Unless he was an outdoor cat. We had an outdoor cat long ago named Alli, who we lost while we were on vacation. A kind man heard we lost her and brought her back thankfully, she was stunning, all white (and she was pregnant when we got her- gave away the kittens and kept her). And we haven't had an outdoor cat since then, maybe 15 years back.

He asked if it was the animal shelter speaking when I answered, so I think he was trying to contact them.

We have no clue if he's a purebred. The vet guessed domestic shorthair. He was quite young when we first saw him, and came to our house for maybe a few months on and off.

I wouldn't keep him from him if he is their cat, but I would need absolute proof. Luigi didn't ACT feral when he used to come to our door, and looked like he had belonged to someone initially. We just assumed he was a stray or an outdoor cat that a neighbor owned, until he got into a fight (probably how he got the FIV).

In the end, the microchip is the deciding factor. No chip, no ownership. I will keep you posted. My mom will be home shortly, and then we'll have to discuss the next step.
    The pups

The Kitty Krew

Let us know if you find out about the micro chip. Good luck.

Melissa

He's set with the vet to go in for the microchip scan at 5:30pm tomorrow. My mom is acting a bit iffy over it now, I think she's getting nervous. I'm getting a bit nervous myself just thinking about it. But if the scan proves nothing is there, he's ours, I contact that family and tell them no go, and I'll look for a way to get him OFF of Petfinder, since he has been with us for about a year or more now.
    The pups

The Kitty Krew

Very, very odd story. Well, I hope things work out well for Luigi. Good luck.

"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind and found my soul." -Unknown

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
    - George Eliot

I would definitely get him off petfinder, or at minimum have the posting editted to say ADOPTED.

If you don't want to let him go, just tell the guy there is no microchip.

I had someone call about one of my cats, saying they KNOW she was theirs. I asked probing questions and it was immediately obvious that my cat was not hers. but it did make my heart beat a little faster while she was accusing me of stealing her cat.

Don't offer any details of him. Ask what their missing cat has.

If it's been TWO years I would have a hard time giving up the cat. I hope it works out, if he's not microchipped he's not theirs but get him microchipped to prove you are his person now.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I would mention the FIV+ status.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I would definitely get him off petfinder, or at minimum have the posting editted to say ADOPTED.

If you don't want to let him go, just tell the guy there is no microchip.
    Yes, I agree. After two years he is yours. Praying he isn't already microchipped.

Yes, don't let this guy have him.. especially since he had not had him neutered and he's suddenly deciding NOW to look for him?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I have a feeling that this fellow is looking for a Feee Cat who has all the right things done. Why was this male Cat not neutered if he was microchipped, that doesnt make sense!!!
    I would just say that he is your Cat, that the micro chip does not match , I think Luigi is in a far better place
    Last edited by catmandu; 08-18-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS